How many open carrys??

Guest Rem_700

Should have given her a wide eyed stare and said "I'm out of my meds."

Thanks David, I did need that laugh. Actually pain meds were what I was going in after. Of course the tooth will heal up, but the pain in the wallet from the endedontist will stick around for a while.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that are OC, especially those that have run ins with other citizens and law enforcement are making all permit holders look bad in the eyes of the general public. Thats not a good thing when you need that general public when were trying to get legislation pushed through like Park/Restaurant carry.

Its just a matter of time before someone comes up with the bright idea to change it and make it CC anyway. Either by an ammendment to what were trying to pass right now or something new. Right now theres a good chance that kind of legislation would pass both the house and senate.

I agree 100%. Everytime I think of a situation where I'd cosider OC, after giving it more thought, CC seems like a better option. What you stated usually comes to mind.

Guest crotalus01

SSDD...nohing to be learned from this thread at all :)

All I can say is to those of you who think OCers make all permit holders look bad in the eyes of Joe Q Public, you are right in a few cases, but try strapping on your rig and going to the grocery store - you would likely be shocked by how few (if any) people even notice it. I have been OCing for a year and never had a negative comment, and never had a LEO encounter (maybe because I am in Memphis with the high crime rates here).

If you really believe its just a horrible idea to OC, then get the law changed. Until that time, I will carry in the way that I feel benefits me the best.

Done here. Cheers, everyone.

SSDD...nohing to be learned from this thread at all :)

QUOTE]

What could you possible hope to learn from a thread that is guaranteed to become OC vs. CC?

Why would anyone here try to get the law changed to CC only? The purpose of allowing OC was to avoid arrests from inadvertent exposure of the firearm. How would you like to have to deal with the printing of your handgun resulting in your arrest?

Guys,its all a matter of opinion here.If not then show some proof of how open carry will result to concealed carry,or how,or how,or how it makes you look fat.

GM,when I open carry,I'm not making a statement.I'm not trying to be a cop.I'm not trying to intimidate someone.It because I'm restricted to either pocket carry,or OWB carry.

Oh,wait....maybe that does make me a wanna be :)

Fall,David,I saw the correlation between OC,and earrings.

Look,if you wanna wear piercings openly then go right ahead,but dont give me flak for wearing mine concealed...or something like that!

Oh no....

NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS! MOVE ALONG... IGNORE THE CRAZY MAN WITH THE FISH!

You know someone is going to try that now :)

;)

I have actually carried my PLR 16 in my truck for a few days. Right around the first few days of Nov. I got a sling for it and it would actually conceal under my jacket if it wasn't for the beta mag. LOL just kidding, I don't have a beta mag although I have considered it, but for 300 bucks I can buy a bunch of 30 rounders.

FacePalm_picard.jpg?t=1238802137

I feel the same way after reading all this. This seems to comeup about once a month.

SSDD...nohing to be learned from this thread at all :(

All I can say is to those of you who think OCers make all permit holders look bad in the eyes of Joe Q Public, you are right in a few cases, but try strapping on your rig and going to the grocery store - you would likely be shocked by how few (if any) people even notice it. I have been OCing for a year and never had a negative comment, and never had a LEO encounter (maybe because I am in Memphis with the high crime rates here).

If you really believe its just a horrible idea to OC, then get the law changed. Until that time, I will carry in the way that I feel benefits me the best.

Done here. Cheers, everyone.

WOW.. just wow...

Some folks in this thread will just never get it. No one wants to get the law changed, who said they did? Some of us just don't want a few ATTENTION GRABBING apples spoiling what we have been working/lobbying for the past 15 years. The tide is turning daily toward more gun control. All its going to take is one yahoo with a permit making the news... then what??? Some of y'all know that its just a matter of time before someone OCing pushes the limit too far.

I personally, along with most if not all Instructors feel open carry is not a good idea. Police when not in uniform or on duty don't open carry because they are at a tactical disadvantage. Its all about keeping it hidden and being sneaky.

When the very people that lobbied for the existing law, teach the courses, and protect the public says "its not a good idea"... Then why in the world would you think it is?

Sorry but I have fought too hard for everything from confronting LE agencies about their policy's toward permit holders, to getting opinions from the attorney generals, changing policy for several state agency's to make the current law more permit holder friendly, lobbying for new legislation... to see it all go down the drain. Many of you don't remember how screwed up our carry permit law was in its infantcy... I personally don't want to take any steps back.

So in short I just don't get it, no offense to anyone we can simply agree to disagree... I'm out, you guys have fun with the thread. :)

GM,in the past 15 years has TN enacted more gun control in reference to permits?

I'm sorry,but I just do not buy that argument one bit.Its like saying an HK sticker will get my car broken into :)

If someone is going to cause a problem,they're going to cause a problem,regardless of where their gun is

Edited by strickj
GM,in the past 15 years has TN enacted more gun control in reference to permits?

I'm sorry,but I just do not buy that argument one bit.Its like saying an HK sticker will get my car broken into :)

If someone is going to cause a problem,they're going to cause a problem,regardless of where their gun is

dude, actually a HK sticker or NRA sticker WILL get your car broken into quicker, theres actually statistics to back that up somewhere. I'll try and find it if its important. A pro gun sticker will also alert a police officer that you are armed... thus causing them to be more alert to your movements if your involved in a traffic stop.

About the past 15 years, we've managed to get passed several law changes making it easier and more lenient on permit holders. But I have seen a change in attitude and agenda with state agency's toward gun owners this very year... and its not positive.

I agree about causing problems... but the very problem may start with someone not educated about the law calling on someone OCing.

Why push the envelope?

:(

dude, actually a HK sticker or NRA sticker WILL get your car broken into quicker, theres actually statistics to back that up somewhere. I'll try and find it if its important. A pro gun sticker will also alert a police officer that you are armed... thus causing them to be more alert to your movements if your involved in a traffic stop.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I've been told that forever and I honestly don't think it matters one way or the other. The most common vehicles broken into where I work are Fords and just about anything with a plastic lock housing. The exception is if they see something they really want they will break out the glass.

I have yet to see evidence that a sticker increases your chances of having your car broken into. I'm not saying there aren't cases where it has happened, but I don't think it ups your chances by an insane amount either.

As far as it bringing attention to a LEO that you may be armed, it was my understanding that you always approach a suspect as though they were potentially armed or a threat to you.

Glockmeister wrote

actually a HK sticker or NRA sticker WILL get your car broken into quicker, theres actually statistics to back that up somewhere. I'll try and find it if its important

I would like to see it, my search fu is weak and I can't find it.

Most of the shall issue states require CC and states like ours the HUGE majority CC anyway.

I'm curious as to where you got this information?

There are 44 states that have legal open carry in one form or another. Only six states make open carry totally illegal; Arkansas, Florida, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas.

11 states allow unlicensed open carry.

14 states allow licensed open carry.

17 states allow open carry but have some laws that may prohibit it in certain places (like PA's requirement for a license to OC in Philly) or lack state preemption.

2 states allow open carry only in rural or unincorporated areas.

Id like to see the stats too please :(

But I have seen a change in attitude and agenda with state agency's toward gun owners this very year... and its not positive.

There is allot of proof of what you're saying being false.Just look at all the pro-gun bills moving forth in TN right now.

One could also look at it as all the OCers in the past 15 years has opened the minds eyes of our reps,and has encouraged all the pro-gun bills.Thats beneficial,not hurtful!

I'm sorry dude,but until I see some proof of this actually hurting TN,its just an opinion on what you like,and doesn't have much merit

Why push the envelope?

Who's pushing an envelope?

I thought we were talking about open carry here!

Great.......now I'm going to have to dig up stats on paper cuts :)

Edited by strickj
Id like to see the stats too please :P

There is allot of proof of what you're saying being false.Just look at all the pro-gun bills moving forth in TN right now.

One could also look at it as all the OCers in the past 15 years has opened the minds eyes of our reps,and has encouraged all the pro-gun bills.Thats beneficial,not hurtful!

I'm sorry dude,but until I see some proof of this actually hurting TN,its just an opinion on what you like,and doesn't have much merit

Who's pushing an envelope?

I thought we were talking about open carry here!

Great.......now I'm going to have to dig up stats on paper cuts :(

Im not talking about the legislature, ask anyone that has to deal with the two State Agencies that deal with firearms/gunowners... TBI & Tn. Dept of Safety... they will tell you their attitude has changed and they are getting allot harder to deal with.

On the sticker and a LE stopping you, we were trained in the academy to look for those kinds of stickers.

Want stats, articals... google "gun sticker car break in" and read away, sorry I'm here by myself today so I dont have time. If ya find it, please post it. I know they have some out there somewhere I have seen them before.

Like I said before, we can agree to disagree and hope for the best. :)

Enjoy the thread... :)

I typed in "gun sticker car break in" and "gun sticker car break in statistics".

All I got was pages of this same question on Yahho Answers, The Firing Line, etc.

I think honestly it's just another gun myth that doesn't really hurt anyone, but is handed off as truth by those that disagree with it.

Here in Memphis there are tons of people that have Rangemaster stickers, Range USA stickers, NRA stickers, and various gun manufacturer decals and I can't recall ever hearing of any trends in break-ins or anyone being targeted because of it.

It rolls right back to OC. It's a choice you make for you, but a right we should all support, because if we don't support each other no one else will.

I looked briefly for the stats,but only saw oodles of forums discussing the subject.

TBI,and TDOS;not sure why I'm worried about what they think about OC :shrug:

Traffic stops;I could care less if a cop sees a bumper sticker,and has his hand on his gun

Question! If a cop sees a rainbow bumper sticker,does he keep his hand over his rear? :P

Edited by strickj