Proof that “Thank you for your service” is just lip service.

Links2k

On 4/23/2023 at 8:44 PM, Links2k said:

1. Very strange!

2. I don’t know if you have a VA rating or not, but they’re not handing out the big money ratings like candy.  Veterans have to work much harder than they should have to, just to get earned benefits. Look no farther than some Vietnam veterans with agent orange claims finally getting settled in the last decade and the recent burn pit & airborne hazards laws. 

They’re using the strategy that has always worked best for the VA. Wait for the claimant to…. die…

On 5/23/2023 at 11:37 PM, hipower said:

While you vets make some very good points, I must say I disagree with the giving/recieving of the "Thank You" greeting.

It allows the greatful among us to show our thanks, and for the pride we have in youfor the duties you have fullfilled and for the lives lost for us and the nation.

I must admit that lately I have gotten lax in offering my thanks to those vets I can identify via caps and patches, etc.,  I try do do so in the spirit of love and thanks for those who did what I couldn't do for this...our country.

If you find it embarassing, I'm sorry. If you find it offensive...well I'm sorry for you.

My wife reminds me when she sees that I've missed  honoring an identifiable vet. A father, 4 returning uncles. 1 who didn't come back, and one returnee that commited sucide. You can bet she doesn't forget to do it. All but her father were Vietnam vets. Her father... Air Force in the Korean "Conflict."

Of the 4 brothers, all were in active combat situations. 3 of them at thes same time, the 4th a year earlier. 2 diagnosed with PTSD, 2 with now admitted Agent Orange issues. The suicide was one of the 1 with PTSD, as it is now identified. After years of struggling, he drank himself into a stupor. But not before leaving a short note and setting himself and his home afire. 

A case of TMI, I'm sure, but just explaining why we say Thank you for your Service.

If it's genuine then I have no problem with it. From many I get the impression that it's just lip service. Why was no one thanking me for my service in the 80's? Because it didn't become a "thing" until the 2000's.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

If it's genuine then I have no problem with it. From many I get the impression that it's just lip service. Why was no one thanking me for my service in the 80's? Because it didn't become a "thing" the 2000's.

That's easy. It's not fair, but it's easy.

Vietnam was an unpopular war and the country as a whole wanted to forget about it. Most vets wanted to forget about Vietnam. Many returning home took off the uniform, never talked about their service, and very few had patches/caps/license plate frames indicating their service. It wasn't a point of pride for many. I don't know if it was because of the loss, the anti-war movement and press coverage, the fact that most were drafted not volunteers, or more likely a combination of all those things. Either way, almost nobody wanted to think about or be reminded of Vietnam. We saw a little easing of that in the 1980s with the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. and some movies like Rambo and Uncommon Valor where we were reminded of the MIAs, but it got left behind.

After that we had the 80s and 90s where it was mostly peace time. During peace time military service is often seen as just another job or VoTech school. Even recruiting drives were often focused on how the military can help you get the skills for a civilian career. The conflicts we did have (Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, Desert Shield/Storm) were over so quickly and the kill:loss ratio was so comically lopsided that it hardly seemed like our military members faced much risk at all. They did, but it wasn't painted that way in the media, so most folks kept thinking of it as just a different career path instead of the noble service it is. Military service was mostly out of sight out of mind unless you lived near a large installation, then it was often one day a year where the community might hold a fair or the base might have an open house and it was basically "thanks for being a part of the community".

Post-9/11 the environment is totally different. We don't want to forget 9/11. We saw the results of being attacked and we've watched the sacrifices endured by our military. And we're thankful.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
On 5/24/2023 at 10:45 AM, E4 No More said:

If it's genuine then I have no problem with it. From many I get the impression that it's just lip service. Why was no one thanking me for my service in the 80's? Because it didn't become a "thing" until the 2000's.

I'm sorry to say that's right. It hurts to see where we've gone. I can't believe we as a people can forget where we are and just how we got here. Of course today may not be as pleasant as days gone by, but we still need our vets!

• Like 1
On 5/23/2023 at 11:37 PM, hipower said:

While you vets make some very good points, I must say I disagree with the giving/recieving of the "Thank You" greeting.

It allows the greatful among us to show our thanks, and for the pride we have in youfor the duties you have fullfilled and for the lives lost for us and the nation.

I must admit that lately I have gotten lax in offering my thanks to those vets I can identify via caps and patches, etc.,  I try do do so in the spirit of love and thanks for those who did what I couldn't do for this...our country.

If you find it embarassing, I'm sorry. If you find it offensive...well I'm sorry for you.

My wife reminds me when she sees that I've missed  honoring an identifiable vet. A father, 4 returning uncles. 1 who didn't come back, and one returnee that commited sucide. You can bet she doesn't forget to do it. All but her father were Vietnam vets. Her father... Air Force in the Korean "Conflict."

Of the 4 brothers, all were in active combat situations. 3 of them at thes same time, the 4th a year earlier. 2 diagnosed with PTSD, 2 with now admitted Agent Orange issues. The suicide was one of the 1 with PTSD, as it is now identified. After years of struggling, he drank himself into a stupor. But not before leaving a short note and setting himself and his home afire. 

A case of TMI, I'm sure, but just explaining why we say Thank you for your Service.

That's sad, Hipower.  Ive lost many friends to PTSD including my best friend of many years who took his own life a few years back.  He was a member here.  Me and 2 other friends had to go into his garage and clean brains and blood off of his car and the garage floor after the police left. I served 20 years in the USAF.  73-93.  I d0ont expect to be thanked for my service, and it actually makes me a little uncomfortable when it happens as i never know how to respond.  But I can tell you that I readily recognize the difference between someone who comes up to be with a sincere thanks for my service and the ones repeating what they think they should say ort are told by their employer to say. The day before yesterday, while I was eating at a restaurant, an older lady did so and i was moved as i could tell she was sincere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been known to tear up when attempting to say it. Especially with older vets.

I totally lost it a few years back when I met a survivor of the Indianapolis. And when I bumped into a Medal of Honor Recieptiant accidently. I do mean accidently too. 

I was walking in a hallway from a bathroom when I almost tripped over this man. Turning to apologize, I saw his uniform and then that medal. I was tongue-tied for several seconds before I could speak.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hipower said:

I've been known to tear up when attempting to say it. Especially with older vets.

I totally lost it a few years back when I met a survivor of the Indianapolis. And when I bumped into a Medal of Honor Recieptiant accidently. I do mean accidently too. 

I was walking in a hallway from a bathroom when I almost tripped over this man. Turning to apologize, I saw his uniform and then that medal. I was tongue-tied for several seconds before I could speak.

I think I would have too.  

• 4 weeks later...