In state to in state sale.

I have agreed to buy a pistol from a person in middle Tennessee and I live in Knoxville.  He needs to know if a FFL need to get involved on in state sales shipping.  When I was a FFL 07 manufacturer years ago a FFL was not necessary for in state sales, but rules change.  Thanks

The law still states you can do so without one I think... HOWEVER you're gonna find its very difficult because the only carrier you can use is UPS. You have to be an FFL to ship USPS and FedEx requires the receiver of said package be an ffl. In addition , you have to ship the pistol from a UPS hub not a UPS store. 

So to clear that up. Your seller will have to box it up,  drive it to a hub, pay for next day or 2 day delivery,  and send it to you. Better factor in insurance on that too. 

For me id be looking at a road trip lol.

Good luck Bob.

Edited at 1:15 pm.

SEE BELOW BOB 👇 UPS is a no go as well.

Edited by FUJIMO
cause i was wrong
3 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

the only carrier you can use is UPS. You have to be an FFL to ship USPS and FedEx requires the receiver of said package be an ffl. In addition , you have to ship the pistol from a UPS hub not a UPS store. 

So to clear that up. Your seller will have to box it up,  drive it to a hub, pay for next day or 2 day delivery,  and send it to you. Better factor in insurance on that too. 

UPS recently changed their rules and Joe Six Pack shipping a gun is no longer allowed. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

UPS recently changed their rules and Joe Six Pack shipping a gun is no longer allowed. 

Thanks DS. I knew FedeX went silly a while back but wasn't sure about team brown. I just use my FFL for anything pistol and factor in the cost. Luckily I'm on the preferred customer list with him LOL.

2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Thanks DS. I knew FedeX went silly a while back but wasn't sure about team brown. I just use my FFL for anything pistol and factor in the cost. Luckily I'm on the preferred customer list with him LOL.

UPS one-upped FDX on the oh-crap-it’s-a-gun! factor and now FDX is slightly more user friendly.  

Here is a thread about the UPS changes a while back:

Edited by deerslayer
  • Wow 1
45 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

UPS one-upped FDX on the oh-crap-it’s-a-gun! factor and now FDX is slightly more user friendly.  

Here is a thread about the UPS changes a while back:

My ffl has no idea how good I got it lol. Thanks for the link 

Just now, FUJIMO said:

My ffl has no idea how good I got it lol. Thanks for the link 

I don’t know how the business model would work, but it could possibly be a worthwhile venture to start a gun shipping enterprise for people trying to sell on GB or ship their guns to get custom work.  Right now, people who want to do that have extremely limited options.  I work in the industry and know of several occasions where would-be customers were turned away since FDX and UPS got spooked last year.  

• Love 1

Thanks guys for your input.  I no longer.have a FFL.  Going to pick it up ain’t going to happen, just too far away.  Thanks Marcel.  Now I wonder how sellers on Gun Broker do ship?

Edited by Beltfed
38 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

Thanks guys for your input.  I no longer.have a FFL.  Going to pick it up ain’t going to happen, just too far away.  Thanks Marcel.  Now I wonder how sellers on Gun Broker do ship?

My last purchases were shipped via ffl , USPS 

I once had someone who claimed he was an FFL holder, wanted to buy a pistol I had for sale and ship by UPS to his Tennessee address. He would provide the shipping label.

He wanted me to list on the manifest that the parcel contained "parts," not a firearm.

Such a clear attempt to receive a firearm by making me a party to deception made me cancel the sale and have no future dealings with the buyer.

LE will often seek entrapment as a way to find 'criminals.' 

Stay on the high road and don't give LE or a buyer a chance to involve you in nefarious activities.

Edited by crc4