Smash and Grab: latest Memphis crime trend.

The car burglaries thread got me to thinking. It seems the latest crime trend in Memphis is large scale smash and grab robberies. Several have been caught on video. 

Its always the same. late at night several cars pull up in front of a business. One car (usually stolen) is driven right through the front of the store. Then as many as a dozen thieves run through the smashed glass and grab everything in site. They know exactly what they're looking for and right where it is. They get the high end stuff and leave the rest. Then they jump back in the cars and are gone in a matter of minutes. Well planned, well organized and fast. 

There have been about a dozen such robberies in Memphis in just the last couple of months. Liquor stores seem to be a common target. 

Is this happening in other parts of the state? 

One of many stories

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The car burglaries thread got me to thinking. It seems the latest crime trend in Memphis is large scale smash and grab robberies. Several have been caught on video. 

Its always the same. late at night several cars pull up in front of a business. One car (usually stolen) is driven right through the front of the store. Then as many as a dozen thieves run through the smashed glass and grab everything in site. They know exactly what they're looking for and right where it is. They get the high end stuff and leave the rest. Then they jump back in the cars and are gone in a matter of minutes. Well planned, well organized and fast. 

There have been about a dozen such robberies in Memphis in just the last couple of months. Liquor stores seem to be a common target. 

Is this happening in other parts of the state? 

One of many stories

It's common in the Democratic Party-controlled urban jungles/zoos where the animals run free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

A few years back we had a ring of thieves with a similar MO except they were targeting gun shops in the Nashville and surrounding area and they hit I think 4 stores and then it stopped as fast as it began. 

They hit the old Range USA off of Whitten-

I started working there about 1 month after it happened-

I was their range armorer and had the distinct job of repairing and cleaning all their firearms-

The thieves got 44 handguns of different makes and brands-

The insurance cleared the repurchase of those firearms and when the new guns were delivered I had to check them all and make them ready for rental-

Of course I had to test fire all those pistols so it was oh woe is me-if I truly must test them all-😏

1 hour ago, crc4 said:

It's common in the Democratic Party-controlled urban jungles/zoos where the animals run free.

Yep and crime is up in Memphis Q1 40% over Q1 2022 (quite a feat) but the “punishing crime doesn’t matter” crowd will probably ignore the new Shelby County DA and his pro-criminal policies that are now making things even worse.  There have been 7000 stolen cars in 2023 and he will be around for only 7.5 more years.  Elections have consequences.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

They hit the old Range USA off of Whitten-

I started working there about 1 month after it happened-

I was their range armorer and had the distinct job of repairing and cleaning all their firearms-

The thieves got 44 handguns of different makes and brands-

The insurance cleared the repurchase of those firearms and when the new guns were delivered I had to check them all and make them ready for rental-

Of course I had to test fire all those pistols so it was oh woe is me-if I truly must test them all-😏

I know they hit On Range in Hendersonville, And Guns & Leather and a couple more and came really close to getting caught in Hendersonville and that may have been why they quit. They had Hendersonville PD, Goodlettsville PD and Metro from Nashville all responding to it and All got there 3 minutes too late. More than likely the police passed them in route cause the stolen truck they drove through the front of the store was still running in the store.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, bersaguy said:

I know they hit On Range in Hendersonville, And Guns & Leather and a couple more and came really close to getting caught in Hendersonville and that may have been why they quit. They had Hendersonville PD, Goodlettsville PD and Metro from Nashville all responding to it and All got there 3 minutes too late. More than likely the police passed them in route cause the stolen truck they drove through the front of the store was still running in the store.

They ended up getting sent to club fed.

• Thanks 1