• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, Grayfox.  This is an ‘as built’ early M1 carbine.  Putting it in a new stock would drop the sale price maybe $800.00 to 1K.  Selling it with a crack won’t work either.  You may not be familiar with M1 carbine.  Every part on it including the stock are marked by the manufacturer unlike the M1 Garand.

I'm quite familiar with the M1 Carbine. I own two.

I'm not sure what you mean by "as built". About 99% of them are a mix master of parts from many manufactures. Even brand new from the factory. Odds are that any all parts matching M1 Carbine was put together by a previous owner. 

Even so, shouldn't be too much trouble to find a matching replacement stock.

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "as built".

Not refurbished at the arsenal?

I have two as well, one sports the flaming bomb cartouche indicating at least one trip to the arsenal.

The other other does not, it's a reimport from post war German use.

Edited by A.J. Holst

The gentleman I spoke with, who is a true collector, ask me to look in several areas to confirm ‘as built’.  One area was below the recoil plate.  The plate has rough machining marks where it meets the stock.  He ask if the indentations in the wood match the rough marks of the recoil plate.  It does.  Fit and finish from handling and firing are also correct.

This is an Inland manufacturer, an early 5 figure first contract.  As such, it only has Inland marked parts, no sub contractors.  Admittedly, the barrel is close to worn out.

As I’m no carbine collector, I’m just going on what the collectors stated.

Bob

19 hours ago, derf said:

I can’t imagine how a replacement stock would make it less valuable than a repaired one. Just hang on to the original and if you sell include it. 

I see no need to replace stock.  I have others to shoot, for the kids, and have no need to shoot this one.  I do need to get an expert eyes on this carbine to verify it is as issued.  Again, I’m not a collector but a gatherer 

Thanks for all the input.