On Target Shooting Sports Hermitage/Nashville

The one in Hermitage is down the street from me. Went in when they first opened. Decent selection of firearms but pushed that one TN AR company pretty hard. Head Down?  Something like that. Then that company closed its doors when the pistol brace ban came up. 

Went in a few weeks ago, 4-5 employees, barely anyone else there. Maybe a couple at the range. Firearm selection was non-existant. And its not like you cant get things anymore. But if you cant even shelve basic models of polymer pistols, you might be having problems. Prices were a tad high.  I had a lower transfered in and I think after taxes it was just under $60 which is a no go for me.

I can deal with slightly higher prices if Ive got a good place to go, but I was really having a hard time wanting to go back.

I did a good bit of business and was a member for several years at the Murfreesboro location.

Ownership changed earlier this year and the whole vibe seemed to change for the worse. 

I still have several NFA items there. Hoping for an expedited disposition. 

As far as the Hermitage location. I’ve been there once, it felt like a partially completed store with very little inventory. Haven’t been back. 

• Like 1

Have/had a membership there.  Like some others posted above, noticed not much traffic at the Murfreesboro location the past few weeks along with light inventory.

I shot there often but rarely purchased anything as they were a full price store and IMO condescending as a seller.  (If I'm going to pay full price, I don't want to be treated like an idiot at the same time.)

Complete guess here, but I wonder if they incurred too much debt to open the second location.

As I work in Murfreesboro and would often use the range at lunch, I just hope someone acquires it and keeps the range. 

• Like 1

My understanding is once headdown went out of business and that owner left funding became an issue.  Rumor has it that nashville armory bought the Hendersonville store.  Not sure about the murfreesboro location though. 

1 hour ago, hlb14 said:

My understanding is once headdown went out of business and that owner left funding became an issue.  Rumor has it that nashville armory bought the Hendersonville store.  Not sure about the murfreesboro location though. 

Hendersonville? You mean Hermitage?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DO-TN said:

Always a fear of mine when dealing with NFA stuff. What happens if the FFL goes under while I am waiting for the ATF to return the stamp.

Yep. Already on my 2nd try for a suppressor. Bought one when I lived in Alabama. Moved back to TN before it was approved. Took 8 or so months to get it canceled and just restarted the process a couple weeks ago up here. Maybe I'll have it in my possession by next spring. That'll be 2 years from purchase to tax stamp. 

On 10/5/2023 at 7:51 AM, Burnman5000 said:

I had a lower transfered in and I think after taxes it was just under $60 which is a no go for me.

Check out Rusty Oak Armory in Mt Juliet... $20 transfer and super nice fella. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Check out Rusty Oak Armory in Mt Juliet... $20 transfer and super nice fella. 

If they are the folks that have their own line of AR parts, I’ve dealt with them, and built a nice upper with their lite profile 1/8 twist barrel. Happy with them so far!

6 hours ago, DO-TN said:

Always a fear of mine when dealing with NFA stuff. What happens if the FFL goes under while I am waiting for the ATF to return the stamp.

Its my understanding that when a ffl goes out of business all pending applications go to the head of the line and must be transferred before the ffl is terminated. 

Edited by hlb14
3 hours ago, OMCHamlin said:

If they are the folks that have their own line of AR parts, I’ve dealt with them, and built a nice upper with their lite profile 1/8 twist barrel. Happy with them so far!

That's correct

On 10/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, hlb14 said:

Looks like that was the Hendersonville Guns and Leather. 

Former employee here (left before the store shut down)

Just giving some clarity here in hopes to maybe help some peoples nerves.

Earlier this year the company did not chance owners one of them just was out of the company. The biggest issue was money and buisness was low. Prices on items and transfers were high but those were unfortunately the markup set by owners.

From my understanding all NFA items are to stay with the ffl/sot holder.  Currently it sounds like another company will be taking over that to handle the nfa stuff. Current progress should not change. Also as far as i know they are not taking over the business just the ffl/sot for the nfa stuff

That explains why I wasn't getting replies from Adam. Did Jerrod run out of money when head down closed?

I know they pushed that wall full of uppers. 

The new NFA guy was kind of a tool. I have two cans in limbo now because they sat there for weeks without being booked in the SS system. Even after I went in to discuss. 

My last visit to attempt to get them loaded into the SS system was a couple days before they closed and he blew me off and said he would "take care of it". 

1 hour ago, JSinTN said:

That explains why I wasn't getting replies from Adam. Did Jerrod run out of money when head down closed?

I know they pushed that wall full of uppers. 

The new NFA guy was kind of a tool. I have two cans in limbo now because they sat there for weeks without being booked in the SS system. Even after I went in to discuss. 

My last visit to attempt to get them loaded into the SS system was a couple days before they closed and he blew me off and said he would "take care of it". 

I can't talk about any individuals specifically sense i dont really know all the detail. Last i knew head down never turned any type of profit so closing that was to open up some money. I have no clue if money ran out or the buisness just not doing well made them want to close doors.

10 minutes ago, Je4444 said:

I can't talk about any individuals specifically sense i dont really know all the detail. Last i knew head down never turned any type of profit so closing that was to open up some money. I have no clue if money ran out or the buisness just not doing well made them want to close doors.

Any thoughts about where they will most likely send the NFA items? I get that you won't know.

Bullseye? I have Chris' cell phone number and asked him to send my stuff to a particular FFL but he will not respond. I would think it would be anywhere but Outpost. I should get the 4 cans that are already submitted expedited, but I am most concerned about the 2 that will have to start over. 

1 minute ago, JSinTN said:

Any thoughts about where they will most likely send the NFA items? I get that you won't know.

Bullseye? I have Chris' cell phone number and asked him to send my stuff to a particular FFL but he will not respond. I would think it would be anywhere but Outpost. I should get the 4 cans that are already submitted expedited, but I am most concerned about the 2 that will have to start over. 

I just heard it will be a store in Lebanon. Silencershop and the atf are aware of what is happening. Some stuff should get expedited and the other stuff will simply get moved. The other store should be taking over the ffl/sot so i believe the other stuff will just be moved to the new location and all progress should stay the same. I am not the nfa expert but that is my understanding. I got some nfa stuff there to so i was also concerned.

• Like 3

Outpost Armory Murfreesboro is giving a free 3-month membership to On Target customers with proof of membership there.   I noticed it on one of the social media pages. 

Fortunately, I had my OT receipt and went this morning.  You get a "Gold" membership which is their middle package.  It's $525/year, so that's pretty a nice touch to get free for 3 months.

• Like 1

Never went to the Hermitage location and it has been years since I went to the Murfreesboro one. I was never impressed with them at all. Limited selection even before the supply chain issues of the last few years. Sky high prices on what they did stock. I was not impressed with the knowledge or attitude of the staff I interacted with. The range was a bit dated when compared to many other Middle Tennessee indoor ranges, it was just adequate. 

Honestly I think they survived as long as they did because they were the only indoor range in Murfreesboro for a long time. Now that there are other indoor range options in Murfreesboro I can't imagine why anyone would have gone into On Target. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

Honestly I think they survived as long as they did because they were the only indoor range in Murfreesboro for a long time.

This is probably on target...pun intended. 

I went in there a few times while moving in Murfreesboro for 3.5 years.  It was a decent setup and I didn't have the staff issues others talked about, but I also came in and out with a purpose.  I didn't buy much of anything I can remember.

Outpost Armory however was rock solid on customer service.  I took a friend there who was interested in guns, but still new to it all.  She was so well taken care of by the patient and friendly staff she walked out with a Glock 19 and some accessories.