BG's and body armor

Guest Guitarsnguns

Guest Guitarsnguns

I am noticing a trend in psychopathic shooters and other scum who prey on innocents; they seem to be increasingly wearing body armor. Therefore, I am seriously considering carrying a CZ52 instead of my trustworthy, comfortable and very concealable 9mm because the 7.62x25 ammo (approximately 1400 f.p.s.)will defeat most light body armor. Just a thought.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guitarsnguns

I agree with the head shot notion, but wonder about my ability to aim that well with some lunatic slinging lead all over the place. No problem at the range though.

Guest JHatmaker
I agree with the head shot notion, but wonder about my ability to aim that well with some lunatic slinging lead all over the place. No problem at the range though.

Exactly, I've got all the confidence in the world at the range, I just wonder how accurate I'd be in a real life situation. Probably just blow his ear off (if I'm lucky to even hit them).

So when I think of carrying the .380, I usually just grap the Glock or Sub-Comp .45

My .380's not that much smaller than my G32, but I wanted the .380 as an easy concealable gun and during the summer for walks etc.

Guest JHatmaker
Crotch/pelvis area has less movement then a head,and will still do the trick :koolaid:

My buddy laughed at me one day at the range when I was shooting the crotch of the target, I told him you never know what shot is going to present itself.

Guest kingtone

the crotch / pelvis area is an excellent area to shoot to take a BG down if it presents itself... :koolaid:

in martial arts that area is often referred to as the center of energy or 'chi' (depending on what you study) It is the equilateral triangle between the front pelvis bones and the genitals.

a shot or two in that area can shatter the pelvis (amongst other prime targets) and render the BG immobile.

Not saying it is a better place to shoot than the chest or head.. but if the shot presents itself it is definitely worth having the practise at getting some in.

Guest v3bahumut
Yeah, I noticed early in life that my chi went immediately south after a good kick in the balls ...

- OS

That made me seriously LOL.

Not only can a crotch shot shatter the pelvis and immobilize the BG, but there are a pair of pretty hefty arteries in there that will kill someone fast quick and in a hurry if they are severed, femoral artery if I remember correctly.

Well, in the 80's there was a study of police deaths from shootings, and a large percentage, (I think even a majority), were from shots not covered by a vest. Practicing on the head makes perfect sense, but a lot of times you miss under stress. Many trained police officers missed at close range.

Yeah, I noticed early in life that my chi went immediately south after a good kick in the balls ...

- OS

Ok, folks are wondering why I'm laughing here..

Even if they DO have on body armor, a couple rounds there are going to make them pause for a moment..

Always get a shot off quick.. It upsets 'em long enough to make your second shot perfect.

me personally if i were worried about penetrating body armor, if i wanted a 9mm that would penetrate i would get .357sig, there are MANY guns out there chambered in it from the subcompact Glock 33 on up to a fullsize G31 or Hk usp-357 or similar. or if you want a little bigger punch and can handle carrying it, get a 10mm, has plenty of velocity and would probably penetrate (im guessing?) and its a .40 caliber bullet for the punch. plus with 10mm i dont care if it doesnt penetrate, most likely he will go down or at the very least make him stagger and/or lose his balance. this will allow you to make your next shot carefully aimed at a more critical area.

and to note, if you are wanting it to penetrate body armor, you need to carry FMJ instead of JHP.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Unless the BG has former military/combat experience and is used to getting shot at, my gut tells me (pun intended) that, body armor or not, as soon as rounds start flying his way he is going to beat feat out of the area asap. Practicing hitting 'soft' areas is fine practice but when confronting a BG - how will you know if he is wearing armor? My opinion is to train for center-of-mass and then keep squeezing the trigger until the threat is gone or you run out of ammo. I can promise you, if confronted with a situation, my first reaction is not going to be to determine if the BG is wearing body armor.

I have armor of my own lol...but its the SHTF rifle plate over the top kind lol. I really wouldnt worry so much about someone wearing body armor...doubt you are gonna run into anyone wearin better then lvl II and body armor or not when you get hit that sh*t is gonna hurt enough for you to stop what your doin or run. A 10mm would however probably cause so much blunt force trauma as to put someone down even if it didnt penetrate.

Guest Astra900

THis is one of the reasons I switched to a .357 mag from a .45acp

.357 - Hornady 140gXTP = 1440fps/644ftlbs

45 - Hornady 200g TAP = 1055/494

I realize numbers on paper are not directly translatable to real world results, but put 2 or 3 .357 mags in the center mass at close range, unless he's got some ceramic trauma plate in there, he's gonna be hurting bad. Probably bleeding internally, spitting up blood. Maybe if he's hopped up on amphetamines he could stay in there, but any normal human would have to pause. That's when you send him a couple more and get diggin' towards home.

Guest kingtone
THis is one of the reasons I switched to a .357 mag from a .45acp

.357 - Hornady 140gXTP = 1440fps/644ftlbs

45 - Hornady 200g TAP = 1055/494

:D

Guest mikedwood

I wouldn't advise a CZ52 for a carry weapon. It's a through gun, as in it will shoot through most anything that can be shot through.

Boxotruth.com (awesome guys) gathered together several handguns and shot a Kevlar helment. vvvvvv The CZ52 was the only handgun they tested that shot through the Kevlar hement.

The Box O' Truth #29 - The Helmets O' Truth - Page 1

So if you ever did have to shoot a badguy it would probably go right through him into what or who I do not know. Perhaps even if he had on body armor.

Even if he did if ill fitting or not properly cared for a bpv can have seriously degraded performance to the point of being no better than a leather jacket. If you knew they had one on you could aim for the head, arms, groin, legs.