Tree removal in middle Tennessee

Does anyone know of a company or someone who cuts down trees at a reasonable price? We have a decent tree in our front yard that goes over our power line and driveway that needs to go, we contacted middle Tennessee electric about it and they basically told us that it’s our responsibility since we live in the county not city. The quote we got from local tree services was around $4000 which seemed hire to me but I’m no expert on the matter. Thanks all

Depending on the size of the tree that may not be unreasonable.  Tree work is expensive when you consider that anyone who is reputable has tons of money tied up in equipment, insurance, etc. Not too mention their skill and knowledge that you are paying for. 

I nearly got swindled once when I had a tree right next to the house that I didn't trust myself to do. The guy showed up with 3 other questionable looking characters in an Altima.  Gave me the right now price, ($900), the next week price ($1,500), and the next month price $4,000) though when I called him I told him I just wanted an estimate. Since the important thing to me was getting the tree on the ground, I got him down to $150 to drop the tree after calling his insurance company and verifying his coverage.  

I've since used Aaron's Tree Service out of Lebanon for storm damaged trees a couple of times and he's done a great job at a reasonable price. 615-517-6830.

• Moderators

I had a 75 foot oak tree get hit with lightning. It split into two prongs about 20 feet off the ground and part of it hung over my house. After the lightning strike, the split area was cracking. I paid $5500 to get it taken down and hauled off. I had 3 different companies look at it and only 1 felt comfortable doing the work. I'm in Lenoir City and the company was East Tennessee Tree Service. I give all this for comparison as I'm sure that's farther than they work. 

45 minutes ago, Cazelle24 said:

Thanks for the good info

The last thing you want to do is go with an 'independent' tree cutter. They'll tell you they're "Bonded and Insured," and should they be injured on your property, you'll be on the hook.

Many are meth and crack heads, will ask for money up front (in cash since they're giving you a bargain), don't clean-up their mess, and after getting your up-front money will skedaddle or quarter-ass do the job.

Along with one-truck roofers and asphalt pavers, they're crooks looking for suckers.

Any reputable tree service will discuss methodology of removing the tree and provide insurance information, etc.  

Many use cranes which result in a lower price.

Also, stump grinding is an extra.  Ask about the cost for that if needed.  Most sub that out to someone else, and it is not cheap.

Like @TripleGGG I recently had East TN Tree Service come out for an $8500 job.  Two maples and a similar size oak to his that was dying.  One maple and the oak were in the back yard, the other in the front yard.  Luckily they had crane access to all (thanks to a good neighbor).  That cost included grinding the maple stumps.

Just do your homework and get three quotes.  I did and the cost and plan of attack did vary enough that I not only went with the best, but the cheapest.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, crc4 said:

The last thing you want to do is go with an 'independent' tree cutter. They'll tell you they're "Bonded and Insured," and should they be injured on your property, you'll be on the hook.

Many are meth and crack heads, will ask for money up front (in cash since they're giving you a bargain), don't clean-up their mess, and after getting your up-front money will skedaddle or quarter-ass do the job.

Along with one-truck roofers and asphalt pavers, they're crooks looking for suckers.

This x10. Make sure you get a copy of their Certificate of Insurance. East Tennessee Tree Service attached a copy automatically to their quote. Do not use anyone who cannot provide an actual certificate and it wouldn't hurt to call and verify it is current. I know of some very bad situations where accidents have happened on a persons property and the person hired had zero insurance. It can get ugly very very quickly. 

15 years ago 1500 per tree was the price to "dismantle" a tree. Meaning climbing and cutting parts out when you can not "fall" the tree. My $0.02 is 4000 is not out of line these days.

3 hours ago, The mailman said:

I don’t think anybody does anything for a reasonable price anymore.

Now that depends on what is being done and what is reasonable. Most of us are self-relent, do things our self. So anything over a few hundred dollars is not reasonable.

I had 3 45-50 ft hackberry trees in poor condition two years ago. One dead, one growing nearly horizontally from about 20 feet up, and one living but half rotted in the trunk. All were in close proximity to each other as they were former tree line / wind break trees before the property was cleared and developed. 

I got three quotes but Smyrna Tree Service was the most responsive and seemed to be the most thorough in their process of quoting and scheduling. 

https://www.smyrnatreeservicetn.com/

It was $1800 to cut, remove, clean up and grind the stumps. They were in and out in a matter of a few hours and all their equipment was in good working order. They did not tear up my yard, driveway, or sidewalks with any of the equipment. even though the trees were in the back of the house over 150 feet from the road.  
If I had to pick anything negative at all I would say they could have ground the stumps down just a bit further but that would be nitpicking. I was very pleased with their work. I ended up tipping the crew and making at an even $2000 since I was so happy with their work.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

I had 3 45-50 ft hackberry trees in poor condition two years ago. One dead, one growing nearly horizontally from about 20 feet up, and one living but half rotted in the trunk. All were in close proximity to each other as they were former tree line / wind break trees before the property was cleared and developed. 

I got three quotes but Smyrna Tree Service was the most responsive and seemed to be the most thorough in their process of quoting and scheduling. 

https://www.smyrnatreeservicetn.com/

It was $1800 to cut, remove, clean up and grind the stumps. They were in and out in a matter of a few hours and all their equipment was in good working order. They did not tear up my yard, driveway, or sidewalks with any of the equipment. even though the trees were in the back of the house over 150 feet from the road.  
If I had to pick anything negative at all I would say they could have ground the stumps down just a bit further but that would be nitpicking. I was very pleased with their work. I ended up tipping the crew and making at an even $2000 since I was so happy with their work.

You certainly got your money's worth. It's good to recognize a company that doesn't attempt to rip you off and gives good service for good money.

• Like 2

Sometimes you need to figure what might be prevented into the bid cost.

I once paid a guy $400 to remove a limb. That sounds ridiculous, but it had to go, and the odds of me making a trip to the emergency room after attempting it myself made it seem much more reasonable after thinking about it for a while.

He had the knowledge and equipment to do it safely. I had neither.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

That sounds ridiculous, but it had to go, and the odds of me making a trip to the emergency room after attempting it myself made it seem much more reasonable after thinking about it for a while.

As I get older, I think of this more and more.

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...