Lamb chops

gregintenn

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve always wanted to try snapping turtle, but after seeing what their jaws could do to a stick, I just haven’t had the courage to get close enough to one to eat it. I wouldn’t know how to get it out of the shell anyway.

I killed one a couple of years ago when I caught it trying to drown one of our pet ducks. Figured as might as well cook it up. I read up on how to do so. Cleaning it was easy enough. I boiled the meat, and then fried it like you would most anything else. I took a bite and it was awful, it tasted like garbage. I'd always heard each part of the turtle tastes different so I tried another bite, that one tasted like rotten garbage. I through the rest in the trash and told the wife to pick up some Chik-Fil-A on the way home. I've since been told that you need to catch them live and purge them out for a week or so before killing and cooking.  All I know is of all the animals I've killed and cooked, that turtle was by far the worst. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Sheep will pull grass out of the ground, including the roots, like a horse. I guess that’s ok if you have a 5 acre mini farm and enjoy reseeding often. I believe friend mis-informed you on this.

To be fair, his “yard” was more or less a wreck.  The sheep couldn’t have made it worse.

I’ve got a client in Texas with sheep that he keeps for the same reason.  His grass looks great - but he’s probably on 20 acres and almost certainly seeds regularly.  

• Like 2
On 10/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, gregintenn said:

I’d never eaten lamb chops. I picked up some at Aldi’s and grilled them tonight. These things are wonderful!!! I wonder what else I’ve been missing out on.

If you're ever at a steakhouse, scan the menu for lamb.  They get fantastic cuts, and they're done really great.  I have to think the kitchen realizes they just aren't slinging another the same steaks, and need to be more deliberate...not unlike those that serve venison where you can tell the difference.

I was at a business event and found myself in Jean Georges Steakhouse at Aria in Las Vegas.  Having the lamb chops with a smoked chill paste was an amazing meal.  The chance to have subtle but fantastic differences in flavor profiles opens up with lamb.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2023 at 1:46 AM, Will said:

Chops great,rack of lamb even better. You baste it before and during cooking with your mix or store bought. With family from Europe I passed on the Haggis,cow tongue,blood pudding,pickled pigs feet and other delicacy.

I was offered an opportunity to try Haggis by my high school english teacher.  It’ definitely a delicacy. I’m glad you enjoy it.  

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

I was offered an opportunity to try Haggis by my high school english teacher.  It’ definitely a delicacy. I’m glad you enjoy it.  

I just googled haggis. Looks like you guys are more than welcome to my part!🤢

• Haha 2