Policy being drafted on Gun Rights and Safety in TN. *NEED PUBLIC PARTICIPATION*

9 hours ago, norsemen308 said:

Heard loud and clear, there's a big club here and I am not in it. 

You can be. It’s just that the arrogant and condescending way you chose as an entry point did not go over well. I wouldn’t go to California and start telling people how they should be doing things; especially without first taking the time to learn a bit about their culture and way of life. I’d like to see you learn stick around and learn about who we are. I think you’ll be surprised.

• Like 6
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, norsemen308 said:

Heard loud and clear, there's a big club here and I am not in it. 

That response tells me that you are really missing the point, and this makes it even more difficult to extend you the benefit of the doubt.  Let me try again.

1.)  You say you were invited to participate in a three-day round table event hosted by people who are aligned with gun control agendas.

2.)  You haven't said why you were invited.  We don't know if it is because of your job as a personal counselor or if the invitation was made to the general public.  All we know is that you accepted the offer and participated.

3.)  You qualified your Pro 2A stance by letting us know that you are a hunter and even use your AR for that.  You have to understand that we've all heard that line from a lot of gun control advocates for... decades... now.  We don't know how deep your commitment to the Second Amendment runs.

4.)  Your posts so far have contained a lot of the other rhetoric that gun control advocates use:  We don't engage them enough.  We come across as brash, bombastic assholes.  (Guilty)  We're entrenched and unwavering, which seems to suggest that we need to negotiate more.

5.)  We still have no idea really what you told these people and whether you did more damage than good.  Did you sign anything that allows that group to use your name and likeness and words in future marketing materials?  Did you tell them what they wanted to hear  versus what would have been more representative of the true desires of most gun owners in Tennessee?   There is this concept of being a "useful idiot" and, frankly, we want to make sure that isn't what you gave them.

6.)  There are signs in what you've said and on your professional websites that suggests you are a transplant to Tennessee.  That's fine; a lot of us are.  But are you fresh off the boat and overrunning with youthful exuberance, or have you been here long enough to have assimilated into the culture of the people you thought you were representing?

As someone who has stressed their qualifications as a mental health professional several times in this thread, I would think that you would understand the psychology of crowds better.  Approaching the TGO community a little more carefully on this topic probably would have yielded better results.  Instead, you basically showed up to the neighborhood bar where everyone knows each other, clearly the new guy, and told us all you were here to help us do better.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Anyway, stick around.  It's not a bad bar and these aren't bad people.  We're all just naturally skeptical.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Norseman308: we're not trying to run you off. In fact, its just the opposite. We just need to get to know you better. As I pointed out earlier, all your posts have been in this thread. Try participating in some of the other stuff on this forum. Let us get to know you. Don't be a stranger. 

• Like 6

I extended my offer for a call with Norseman308, he took advantage of that and did call.  We discussed a number of issues.

He seemed genuinely interested in the topics we hold dear.  It is just that he does not have the experience here yet to understand the General Assembly and the judiciary appointed by our transpublican rulers have resulted in supporting the Jim Crow laws on our books to keep us in thrall to government (there are others on this board who are similarly so affected, regardless of time in the saddle in the state).

I had a Senator admit this week that the "Intent to go armed" clause on our books is unconstitutional, but he  also stated there is no appetite in the Senate to see it changed.  That is because the Average Joe is too lazy to ride them all like it needs to be done.

If we could get 50 people in each Senatorial District to light their elected Employees up, and talk about it in bars, churches and social gatherings we could change this mess, but till that happens we are dead in the water.

Bitching at new guys here is of no benefit, climb up on your horse and get after the Senate of Tennessee.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I actually admire the fact the OP has hung around long as he has.

Greg, I found him to be intelligent and interested.  Unlike a lot of other Tennesseans who expect others to carry their water, he is seeking to find a way to get involved (trusting leftist to give them a fair shake is something they have to learn is non-productive) but endeavor is a good thing.

I offered that when I go back to the legislature, I would be glad to lead him around the corners.

Like many who move here, I think possibly the perception of Tennessee is far different from the reality, and when they reach the Promised Land and find it is not quite that, they seek to get involved to keep it from becoming what they left.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I wouldn't say that. I would say that it pays to join a community and learn about it a bit first before trying to get them to sign up for something.

*edit* It's also a bit sketchy to go back and remove your name from your original post, aint it Luke?

I showed up and was transparent with who I am, but based on how I have been treated I didnt feel comfortable having identifiable information that could harm me, my family or my business. Richard has been the only one that was willing to treat me with a shred of respect and have a conversation

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You can be. It’s just that the arrogant and condescending way you chose as an entry point did not go over well. I wouldn’t go to California and start telling people how they should be doing things; especially without first taking the time to learn a bit about their culture and way of life. I’d like to see you learn stick around and learn about who we are. I think you’ll be surprised.

I appreciate you articulating that you felt I was arrogant and condescending, because I am trying to see how I ruffled the feathers as I have. Maybe I did step in and start speaking from generalizations and people took that personally. That was not my intent. I am just another dude, with an opinion, I apologize if you thought I was trying to do anything more than encourage other gun owners to let their voices be heard. 

I think what has surprised me is it feels like this thread in someways has made my point with those  original overgeneralization.  I know the firearm community is a very wisdom rich community, some of the nicest people I know have come from meeting people at gun shows and shooting benches and it bums me out when I watch as the left characterizes us as being a community that is rude, condescending and unable to articulate our position. I know thats not true, but I would be lying if I said, I havent experienced some of those accusations in this thread. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in a way I could respond gregintenn

• Like 4
14 hours ago, TGO David said:

Hello David, thank you for rephrasing this again. 

1-2) I was invited as a Mental Health Expert. I have a background in helping create Mental Health Public Policy and they found me based on that work. I knew that I was invited to participate in the discussion on the assumption that my profession leans favorably in the direction of confiscation, registration and infringement. I truly believe I was the best Mental Health Professional for the discussion because I am steadfast on also respecting the individual liberties and rights granted by God to individuals who navigate mental illness. I showed up because I felt like I did not have a choice, the next mental health professional was going to read from the brochure of the Gun control lobby without any intelligent thought. I was not.

3.)  I hear you on this, there is really no way for me to prove that to you over the internet. I truly hope I get the chance to meet you in person and be able to convey who I am better in that atmosphere. I have been a long term supporter of the CRPA. FPC, I use to be an NRA memeber, that may ruffle feathers, but I believe my donations get more mileage with FPC than with the NRA. 

4.)  There is nothing to negotiate with the 2A. NOTHING, I can be steadfast in my convictions and still have educational dialogue with someone else. Richard is a perfect example of what I am talking about. He beats the left at their own game, he is willing to have discussions knowing full well TN Holler or anyone else is trying to set traps, and he leaves those conversations being able to articulate the truth in such a way it leaves people wondering what the hell their position was LOL. We need more of that. I dont believe that conversations mean concessions. 

5.)  Heard, and I completely recognize your hesitation is valid. I know that what I said, how I acted and what I fought for allows me to go home and still have the integrity I had when I first left my house. The reason I did this was because I have a 4 month old daughter and I wondered what it would be like in 20 years when she asked me what I did to fight for her rights and liberties. I dont think I am perfect, but I was cautious with my words and I am pretty good at not giving people sound bites. I also did stay in my swimmer lane lol. I wasnt the authority on firearms, there was a Firearm instructor and honestly They picked the wrong dude. This guy was the main reason many opinions at the table flipped and why our policies moved away from restriction and into incentivizing people to get training and education. 

6.)  While TN has not been my home forever, my family has been here for decades. when I moved here, I burnt the boats. I did not move with the intentions of bring any of the political bull#### with me. In reality I tell a lot of people "I am a political refugee from the west" lol. I moved to this state because I recognized it was the best place for me and my wife to have children and raise a family. I now believe I have to take the real world experience of being a resident of a previous state that had no problem trying to make me a criminal every legislative cycle and fight so my children do not experience that same level of tyrannical overreach. I do not speak for TN, but I can share my opinion as a Tennessean. 

"As someone who has stressed their qualifications as a mental health professional several times in this thread, I would think that you would understand the psychology of crowds better."

I am not new to online gun forums, and I do a fair amount of public speaking, so drawing fire isnt new  but you all are the most prickly porcupines of the bunch (I hope you can see the humor?) I did not see being lumped in with the left straight off my first post. Truly thought I was just sharing an experience. 

• Like 1