7.62x39 Gunpowder

Your post kinda reads like you were going to post a pic of the label. Maybe I'm misreading it.

There used to be a great guy on here (back in the "Dolomite" days), Mr.David (DLM or DLM37015) iirc

that ran the gunshow circuit with his daughter (Sam?). He was a wealth of information on surplus powders...so was Dolo. 

I haven't seen any postings from or about them in years (and wish them the best) but you may find something doing a deep dive search on here, or the interwebs in general. Having the numerical data, lot number etc, could prove helpful if you have that available.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

I believe this powder came from David (DLM or DLM37015). It's not mine.

I went alone with dad when he got the WC842. David told him the compared powder to use data from. Added that info to the jug and in his records.

David did a lot for the reloaders. Drove long distances to pick up and to sell. Dad met him twice in Southaven while he was traveling to Jackson, MS. He did shows in Memphis and Southaven. Dad said once, he's in Kansas City this weekend. Sam and her husband worked a show in Southaven. Dad asked about David, home ill. Sam helped with sells, don't think she wanted into the travel and buying.

I remember dad talked about Dolomite a few times. Said if he ever got to the east side of the state he'd like to meet him.

• Thanks 1

They were great folks @DeepSouth and helped me out quite often.

Gordon (Dolomite) was very well versed on the whole AK platform, including reloading (handloading was the term that stuck with me from them.) Great guy and truly missed.

That's great that your dad knew and interacted with them. Prayers out for them all.

Hope you find the info you need. Best of luck to you.

I searched the supply thread. David's first post was 2/9/2010, his last post was 4/8/2013. That gives me a time frame to search the reloading thread. I saw a couple that my dad made too.

• Love 1

In the reload section I started with page 194 and worked back. Stopped on page 104. Lot of looking and reading, got to rest my eyes.

David joined 10/9/2009. First post I found was 12/6/09. So far last post was 1/28/13. The site shows him as an inactive member.

Dolomite was a member from 3/29/2010 until 1/22/2023. So far last post was 1/22/2013. He gave out his data for 842 with 223 late in 2012 and just got back into loading 7.62X39 using Varget.

If you look up Magnum Materials on facebook, you'll find David, but he hasn't posted on there since last June. It lists a phone number. Call it and see what happens, I guess? If he answers, tell him we were asking about him here on TGO.

I wonder if these folks bought him out or something. Perhaps someone there could answer your question?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/b/magnum-materials

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If you look up Magnum Materials on facebook, you'll find David, but he hasn't posted on there since last June. It lists a phone number. Call it and see what happens, I guess? If he answers, tell him we were asking about him here on TGO.

I wonder if these folks bought him out or something. Perhaps someone there could answer your question?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/b/magnum-materials

I see him on Facebook some. I think he retired. He mentioned missing the business. I'll look back in his posts. 

OK... he has been posting quite a bit. Nothing about Magnum. I think he sold it to family. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, DeepSouth said:

I looked up Magnum Materials on facebook. It's steel buildings in Nettleton, MS

What's David's last name?

Mosely  He’s in Ashland City if he hasn’t moved.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I remain confused.  Are we talking about the bulk SMP 842 powder David sold in 8 lb jugs actually labeled as such or “7.62x39” labeled powder that might have come from him?

Where ever he is I hope he’s well.  Helluva nice guy and very generous.

45 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I remain confused.  Are we talking about the bulk SMP 842 powder David sold in 8 lb jugs actually labeled as such or “7.62x39” labeled powder that might have come from him?

Where ever he is I hope he’s well.  Helluva nice guy and very generous.

Great guy. I'll never run out of blackout brass because of him.

Posted (edited)

Garufa, this thread is about the 7.62X39 powder. Yep, we got side tracked on the other.

Magnum Metals, Magnum Material/s, David Mosely, David Moseley came up empty on facebook.

Edited by DeepSouth
Posted (edited)

I found David's number and gave him a call. He remembers that powder, didn't get very much of it. Said to use 1680 or 2015BR data starting at 25% less. Can't remember anything else about it.

Edited by DeepSouth
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DeepSouth said:

I found David's number and gave him a call. He remembers that powder, didn't get very much of it. Said to use 1680 or 2015BR data starting at 25% less. Can't remember anything else about it.

Yeah. I kinda bumped into him on Facebook. Asked him if his ears were burning. I need to give him a call too.

16 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Your post kinda reads like you were going to post a pic of the label. Maybe I'm misreading it.

There used to be a great guy on here (back in the "Dolomite" days), Mr.David (DLM or DLM37015) iirc

that ran the gunshow circuit with his daughter (Sam?). He was a wealth of information on surplus powders...so was Dolo. 

I haven't seen any postings from or about them in years (and wish them the best) but you may find something doing a deep dive search on here, or the interwebs in general. Having the numerical data, lot number etc, could prove helpful if you have that available.

Good luck in your search.

There are no lot numbers. The 842 came from Lake City. It was military pull down ammo. When the shelf life ran out, they would send it to Lake City, where they would pull the bullets, collect the powder, and then sell it off. David bought tons of that stuff. All the brass was primed. I have a lot of that too.

• Thanks 1

Dad helped him set up and break down at a Memphis show once. Said he had a ton of powder, some brand names and some surplus and Wolf primers in sp 9mm and sr 223. 10 and 20 gallon paper drums of pulled bullets and primed cases. We weren't into loading 223 at the time or he would have traded his work time for some.

5 hours ago, mikegideon said:

There are no lot numbers. The 842 came from Lake City. It was military pull down ammo. When the shelf life ran out, they would send it to Lake City, where they would pull the bullets, collect the powder, and then sell it off. David bought tons of that stuff. All the brass was primed. I have a lot of that too.

I remember reading the various threads you guys had running then, and learned a lot from the group.

A couple of us that shot together were learning to cast and powder coat (even 7.62x39 bullets) and Dolo and Caster were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Probably still have notes from back then.

Yeah, sorry to drift off on the 5.56/.223. Interesting reading though.

Glad to hear Mr. David is on this side of the green. I wish him and his well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I remember reading the various threads you guys had running then, and learned a lot from the group.

A couple of us that shot together were learning to cast and powder coat (even 7.62x39 bullets) and Dolo and Caster were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Probably still have notes from back then.

Yeah, sorry to drift off on the 5.56/.223. Interesting reading though.

Glad to hear Mr. David is on this side of the green. I wish him and his well.

David confirmed last night that he sold Magnum. Gordon sent me some powder coated .458 bullets awhile back. Don't know if he did them personally. Haven't heard from Caster in years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1