Totin' Teachers Bill Heads for a Vote

14 hours ago, pop pop said:

The Govenor signed the bill today. Will be law soon. 

However, Williamson, Davidson, Robertson(?) Counties have already said "No" to Armed Teachers in their schools. So all the hoopla was for naught.

• Sad 1

I feel this law will help those less populated counties that have no SRO the most. I really think Rutherford County will join the anti-counties soon. We have had SRO since shortly after Columbine. Down the road it may change in these more metropolitan counties when they see that blood will not be flowing because of teachers who carry in other schools. For sure this is a hot button issue in TN right now. 

This could be a good thing, IMO. For sure, cut down on response time if they work it out correctly. Cutting down on response time cuts down on body count, as many of you know. Won't stop it but can cut the count. I know when my Marine friend backed up our SRO, here locally before the Gun Free Zone was set in place, they had a plan, and backup plan, and the teacher would dawn a bright yellow vest that had SECURITY printed in front and back. They trained on their own dime spent many, many hours when school was not in session. The SRO trained constantly at the Sherriff department also. They all had mobile radio contact with the principal included. The students had no Idea my friend concealed carried.  Guys it can work and be beneficial "IF" implemented correctly.    

Edited to add; This is a totally "volunteer" program. The news media persist in broadcasting the stories like it is mandatory for teacher carry which is totally incorrect. The Nashville news has been totally against this law and has reported numerous false and misleading stories nightly. Folks, they don't call that style of reporting true unbiased journalistic reporting, but indoctrination garbage, IMO. The TV anchors, in Nashville, seem to be seething with distain about this subject.

I, for one hope it is beneficial and a service that will not be needed in the future of our schools. Kids need to be safe and feel safe, and many don't now because of the way this subject has been handled in the news.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2

That training comes from the Universities where they go to school originally. Just look at the demonstrations going on campuses now. The Ivey League colleges are the worst. They spue hatred and distrust of anything to do with guns, period. People are sheep.  

• Like 2

I've been saying for years that the education system in this country is extremely liberal biased. Their purpose is to turn out stupid, liberals who's only function is to follow the liberal agenda. 🤬

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My expectation would be that in an active shooter situation, the armed teacher would barricade their room and then defend their class. Then responders don’t think the teacher is the threat, and 20-30 kids are safer for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Rt101 said:

My expectation would be that in an active shooter situation, the armed teacher would barricade their room and then defend their class. Then responders don’t think the teacher is the threat, and 20-30 kids are safer for it.

Kill the shooter. It's that simple. It ain't for everybody. That teacher can be a preacher's daughter, or an Army Ranger. Right now, an ex Army Ranger has to let some nut go room to room, and wait for his turn to die, where he's more than capable of killing the threat. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Kill the shooter. It's that simple. It ain't for everybody. That teacher can be a preacher's daughter, or an Army Ranger. Right now, an ex Army Ranger has to let some nut go room to room, and wait for his turn to die, where he's more than capable of killing the threat. 

While I wouldn’t mind teachers doing that, I just don’t see 99% of your average citizens doing that. And the teacher or anyone for that matter is at a huge disadvantage if they’re in a hallway with a pistol fighting someone with a rifle. Most people will just get themselves killed by leaving the room. 

mikegideion, I am NOT in favor of waiting to be shot in your room. Rt101 what about Jean Assam, who stopped the Colorado Church Shooter armed with the AR 15 and she has a 9 MM pistol. Or the Church Security team captain at the Sugarland Church of Christ in Texas. He made a head shot, with a 357 Sig pistol, on a shotgun toting perp at 40 paces dropping him on the spot. It is possible and can be done! I agree not many teachers will apply, IMO. But to use the other sides musings, "If It Stops One School shooter, early, It Will Be Worth it." 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I can only speak for myself. For 12 years when my sons were growing up, I was a Boy Scout leader. I was also discretely armed. The boys never knew it. My thinking was that these kids are in my charge and I have a duty to protect them. I hope teachers feel the same way. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Rt101 said:

While I wouldn’t mind teachers doing that, I just don’t see 99% of your average citizens doing that. And the teacher or anyone for that matter is at a huge disadvantage if they’re in a hallway with a pistol fighting someone with a rifle. Most people will just get themselves killed by leaving the room. 

Maybe so. But, there have been some amazing saves by "average" citizens. And, the "average" argument against arming people is, "don't shoot at the shooter 'cause somebody may get shot. If you think about that one for a minute, it's pretty dumb. Use a pair of scissors, they say.

• Like 2

Armed civilians have never shot an innocent party in an active shooter attack, although cops have. Likewise, there is only a very small chance you'll get engaged by responding police officers, because, in the words of Ed Monk,  "you'll be on your third cigarette by the time they get there." 

There is a single case where the cops mistakenly engaged an armed citizen who had ended an attack. In that instance, the attacker wanted to kill cops specifically, so he self reported an attack before shooting the cop he had eyes on. He was then shot and killed by an armed citizen. However, the Armed citizen then moved forward to secure the weapon and it was at that time the rest of the cops showed up. They saw a dead cop, dead citizen (actually the perp), and a man with a rifle. If either of those two circumstances didnt occur, the number would still be zero. 

• Like 2