Need help on 1911 9mm Choice

rd97

I am in the market for a 9mm on the 1911 platform. I am looking at a Springfield, a Kimber pro carry and a para PX189s. Anyone have experience with these? I am really looking at the Para because of the high capacity mags. Would like your input.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been looking for a good 9mm 1911 for what seems like forever...

from what i've read and researched, the kimber pro carry II in 9, the springfield EMP, and their "loaded" full size seem pretty good... however, i'm yet to find one out there without reliability issues... i want as close as possible to glock/steyr reliability, so they're out for me...

the STI LS9 seems pretty cool (one of the nicest slide actions i've ever felt) except it's a little guy, and the sights makes a mil spec's sights seem huge...

supposedly, taurus will have their PT1911 in 9mm out this year, which for the money seems like worth a try (but w/ taurus i won't hold my breath...).

if you can find a good one, lemme know...

I have a Springfield Armory EMP and I LOVE it! It's a beautiful and extremely well made gun. It took about 250-300 rounds before it started running smoothly, but after that break in period, it runs perectly!

I don't really like the idea that you have to "break in" a gun......but it was well worth the end result for sure. I guess these guns are built to such high tolerances and they are so tight that they just have to get loosened up a bit.

It's a fine weapon for sure. I can't believe how accurate it is for a 3" barrel! At 10 yards, I can shoot 5 mags full and make one huge hole where the bullseye is! :cool:

Guest JHatmaker

Ditto on reliability issues. I was in the market for one myself, but after reading about the issues of 9mm in 1911 I changed my mind. The Springfield EMP seems to have the least amount of issues b/t them, if any issues at all.

You may also want to consider the Kimber Aegis II line (either the Pro or Ultra) as far as a Carry type 1911.

I have a Springfield 1911 9mm in stainless steel. It will shoot any reload round I have tried and is the most accurate shooting pistol for me. I would also look at S&W 1911 in 9mm I have only seen them on the internet auction sites.

The only ones that I know of in 9 mil that run out of the box consistently are quite expensive semi custom guns. For me any way I think the 9 mill in a 1911 is a bad idea. They were designed for the .45

Edited by willis68
Guest Halfpint

Howard, I'm currently borrowing a buddy's 9mm Pro Carry--as long as you keep it clean and run good ammo through it, it won't give any problems. Kelly and I both shot it, something like 200 rounds per range session.

It would be a good choice, I think. :lol:

we have 4, I have a P18-9 I use in IDPA and USPSA limited and a springfield EMP

the wife has the full size Loaded Springfield 9mm she uses in IDPA and SS in USPSA, with a EMP that she also shoots in IDPA.

no issues

Why not a Hi-Power? It's what Browning designed the 1911 to be and it is built around the 9mm. Sure the trigger argument will come up, but for comp you are going to be spending a few nickels on the 1911 anyway so that nullifies that. The trick setup is to get one of the .40 Hi-Power's and convert it to a 9mm. I've had two and they are awesome! Reliable, ergonomics, capacity, accurate and you don't have to worry about all the 1911 issues you will have.

I had a springfield loaded that worked sometime, sometime it did not. I sold it and bought an STI Trojan 5.0 in 9mm.

It works everytime I pull the trigger, even with marginal reloads. It is more accurate than I can hold it.

Why not a Hi-Power? It's what Browning designed the 1911 to be and it is built around the 9mm. Sure the trigger argument will come up, but for comp you are going to be spending a few nickels on the 1911 anyway so that nullifies that. The trick setup is to get one of the .40 Hi-Power's and convert it to a 9mm. I've had two and they are awesome! Reliable, ergonomics, capacity, accurate and you don't have to worry about all the 1911 issues you will have.

I agree completely, in 9MM, The High Power is what I would buy without hesitation this gun was DESIGNED to use this caliber, John Moses Browning actually knew what he was doing he was far ahead of his time :P

Guest se-real

I really like the way the Springfield EMP performs! I have a buddy who let me shoot his when I was debating on a 1911 and I loved it!

Had an EMP. It was a great gun but I felt I needed something larger. I ended up buying the Para 18-9. I put 500 rounds through it to break it in but ended up sending it back to Para for work. It just wouldn't feed. It is extremely accurate and feels good in my hands but I experienced 20% failure rate after break-in. Hopefully Para will get it to run for me.