• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Just to add - I shot my m44 today - about 50 rnds through it most I have ever shot in one range session through it - I love this gun. Accurate, I watched the bullet split the grass on the way down the range and it kicks like a mule. Great stuff.

I wondered whose rifle that was. I guess i was distracted with my misfortunes but I did see it sitting in an open rifle case. It is a very handsome rifle!

What year was it made and which armory did it come from?

Guest dotsun
Use the 2x4 on it. I know you had one with you at the range!

That was my hood prop. If you need some help with this lemme know, Mike. I know you're getting old and can't see well. :wall: Seriously I have some pretty sweet dental tools I get from work.

I am not so sure a 2x4 would help here. It does come in handy holding up the Frankentruck's hood though.

I broke my dental tool on it. I was able to catch an edge but is snapped the tool.

I suppose waiting on the extractor will be best for now.

If that does not work I will call you in with your bag of tools. Worst comes to wrost you can use the rifle to prop the hood. :)

Guest SUNTZU

I asked a gunsmith, Mike. Here's his reply.

I would recommend using a solvent to clean the chamber thoroughly, then lubricate with oil of wintergreen, apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer, and then use a Broken Shell Extractor and the extractor to yank that mother out.

A RUBBER mallet can be used to tap the bolt to the rear to help it out.

If that doesn't work, it needs to go to a 'smith, who can use a special slap-hammer extractor, or carefully use a chamber reamer with a special stop collar to remove it.

Future incidents can be prevented by making sure to clean both chamber, as well as ammo (mil surp often has some lacquer or preservatives on it that can be wiped off with light solvents.) and then perhaps having the chamber polished by a 'smith.

If you see "frosting" on the cartridges odds are the chamber is rough and requires polishing.

Good luck. Now I know why it came with a bayonet.

thanks for that bit of info Daniel.

I have been giving thought to applying heat in the removal. I also seriously thought about putting the rifle in the freezer, then applying heat directly to the outer portion of the chamber where the broken casing is stuck. I am still thinking this may be an option. You know the old theories about expansion and contraction. Anyway it worked on a screw lid stuck on the sugar jar.

The shell extractor will come on Wednesday, so I will know whats up Wednesday night. Oil and heat, hmmmmm.....

OS mentioned that this must be a fairly regular occurance in a Mosin and and SKS as they both have extractors being sold specifically for those rifles.

I am sure mine was stuck from old rusty ammo that came apart. I have had some of these casings split in the past. I only had 40 rounds of this stuff left. I went through it Saturday night and pulled about half of the cartridges out and have them soaking in a bucket of water. They looked awful. Just covered in corrosion and rust.

No doubt about the bayonet.

Guest SUNTZU

Its a great penetrant, better than many oils out there. Don't get it on a wood stock, as it will bleach it. Don't rub in eyes. Make damn sure you wash your hands prior to pissing. Put it on there, heat it, it should come right out. I've read about guys doing this on releasing stuck bolts. It makes your rifle smell minty fresh.

Guest Gun Geek

Mike I will have to actually check on the date as I cant remember off the top of my head, its an M44 and its short, I had a lot of cleaning up to do with it, it didnt look so hot when I got it. Metal was ok but the wood was horrible, I was able to just sand off enough to keep the stamps, then refinish. All parts match except the butt plate.

The whole thing is driving me nuts. Not like I need to it shoot right now, but it is the point. What if TEOTWAWKI happens before Wednesday afternoon?

This is very upsetting.

Blahahaha

You're on a roll, Mike...

Guest SUNTZU
The whole thing is driving me nuts. Not like I need to it shoot right now, but it is the point. What if TEOTWAWKI happens before Wednesday afternoon?

This is very upsetting.

You shouldn't use the Mosin in TEOTWAWKI, it wasn't made in the US.

You shouldn't use the Mosin in TEOTWAWKI, it wasn't made in the US.

curses, foiled again. ( i think i get the joke too, lol)

I just don't want to have this rifle, a buttload of ammo, and the rifle being useless. Actually the thing seems to be real accurate and the bore looks great. I think I migh tbe a good shooter if I can ever get the casing out of the chamber.

i don't even have a bayonet for it yet to use it as a harpoon or javelin.

Man, I gotta tell you, this new to me M44 shoots like a dream! Can't believe anyone would want to have gotten rid of it!!!

Oh believe me there was sellers remorse involved. Why do you think i snatched up another Mosin so fast?

I am happy you are liking it though. I feel better knowing it went to a nice home.

Dickson County mafioso

I used to work with a couple of kids from Dickson, Ken and Crutcher. Two of the funniest guys I ever worked with. It was always entertaining when they wer eon the schedule.

Now I want to go shoot mine.

I had taken about 100 rounds with me Saturday, maybe got 17 through it before the broke casing. I am still jonesing to shoot it. It was very disappointing.

i really hope the extractor works. Having 440 more rounds coming this week is not making things better either.