I will have my 91/30, complete with bayonet attached, up at Norris tomorrow for the shoot. Primarily as a convenience. I can just sit there and poke holes in the target and change them out without firing a shot. :D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pawn

I have a Tula m91/30 and an Izzy m44. I like Mosin Nagants because they are affordable and milsurp ammo is both plentiful and inexpensive. IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your centerfire shooting dollar.

Sorry, I skipped to the end here and only lightly read the other's posts, sorry if I am redundant, but this is kind of a boring thread with a lot of ignorance and empty arguments with poorly constructed syllogisms.

The Mosin came into being during the time of the development of the Gew98, and the US was still using those blasted Krags. Tactics of the time called for controlled shooting at distances of 300 to 900 metres.

Tada. The rifle fit the bill. And it did a good job. Just like many countries of the time, Russia continued to press forward the theory of controlled fire for another 60 years.

Reliable. Accurate and Effective.

Today it is an affordable piece of 19th century arms that supported itself admirably well into the 1st half of the 20th century.

Garand? Ya, great rifle... developed nearly 40 years after this old timer. Apples and Oranges.

Remember, when the Russians were fielding Mosins, we were fielding Krags... How great was the Krag? Read what Teddy R. had to say about them against the Mausers in Cuba...

It was a great rifle in its day and holds 60 years of history in it.

As for felt recoil, my first deer rifle when I was 12 was a Springfield '03... There is an entire generation now grown up on .223 and 7.62x39 that has no concept of "getting on a weapon" -- not to control the shot, but rather, to control the rifle and the shot. Show me an AR with a Muzzle brake and I'll show you the man/woman behind it fails to comprehend the art of marksmanship.

But how do you REALLY feel about it? :D

Ain't it purdy??

9i4kme.jpg

$65 at the Goodman show around 12 years ago. M-44 Carbine made in Poland, has the smoothest,(no machine marks) finish on a Mosin I have ever seen. I cleaned and revarnished the stock and touched up the bluing on the magizine and bayonet. With good ammo I can/could put 5 rounds in a 5" circle at 100 yards with sights only, the kill zone for a deer. I'm sure the rifle is more accurate than I am. Recoil doesn't bother me at all because mainly it's a heavy old rifle. It is without a doubt the best value for a gun purchase I have ever made.

Now I have the urge to take it to the range this week and shoot it again. :D

All this Mosin talk reminds me of something I read about Simo Hayha an article on cracked.com

Simo Hayha had a fairly boring life in Finland. He served his one mandatory year in the military, and then became a farmer. But when the Soviet Union invaded his homeland in 1939, he decided he wanted to help his country.

Since the majority of fighting took place in the forest, he figured the best way to stop the invasion was to grab his trusty rifle, a couple of cans of food and hide in a tree all day shooting Russians. In six feet of snow. And 20-40 degrees below zero.

Of course when the Russians heard that dozens of their men were going down and that it was all one dude with a rifle, they got ****ing scared. He became known as "The White Death" because of his white camouflage outfit, and they actually mounted whole missions just to kill that one guy.

They started by sending out a task force to find Hayha and take him out. He killed them all.

Then they tried getting together a team of counter-snipers (which are basically snipers that kill snipers) and sent them in to eliminate Hayha. He killed all of them, too.

Over the course of 100 days, Hayha killed 542 people with his rifle. He took out another 150 or so with his SMG, sending his credited kill-count up to 705.

Since everyone they had was either too dead or too scared to go anywhere near him, the Russians just carpet-bombed everywhere they thought he might be. Supposedly, they had the location right, and he actually got hit by a cloud of shrapnel that tore his coat up, but didn't actually hurt him, because he's the ****ing White Death, damn it.

Finally on March 6th, 1940, some lucky bastard shot Hayha in the head with an exploding bullet. When some other soldiers found him and brought him back to base, he "had half his head missing." The White Death had finally been stopped...

...for about a week. In spite of having come down with a nasty case of shot-in-the-face syndrome, he was still very much alive, and regained consciousness on March 13, the very day the war ended.

The full article: "Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like *****"

Simo Hayha was the real deal - any time your enemy comes up with a name like 'white death', you know you've got a god combo.

And he only used the iron sights on his Mosin, to boot.

Still need to pick up a good MN...

Guest gcrookston
But how do you REALLY feel about it? :P

ambivolent... :tinfoil: I've never cared for either... But they were both the right weapons at the right time. :P

I know how nice the one you have is :down:

I am looking fora 91/30 this time. might be a bit easier on my geezer like shoulder.

Thats why I decided to keep the ammo. I shot Garufa's 91/30, seemed lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

really?

My 12 year old shot my 91/30 Sunday afternoon in expectation of a certain M44 any time now. No issues other than keeping that thing that is as tall as he is steady on the aim! The wife, who is 5 foot nothing shot it as well. Only issue here was a palm bruise from slamming that bolt back into battery.

The more I shoot them, the more I like them and the less they push.

I also pulled the trigger twice on a Weatherby Mark V 30-378 and you know when you shoot that thing! He really needs to put that muzzle brake back on that thing!

I am a wuss.

That little russian beauty ought to be on its way to you soon. It's in someone elses hands now.

Holding them and shooting freehand they are not bad, but watch shooting them off of a rest.

Guest pl1ght

I absolutely love shooting my 91/30. The kick doesnt bother me anymore either, even in just a tshirt. I find myself wanting to shoot it more wheni m at the range than the other guns i bring with me. No clue why, i just enjoy it.

Guest pl1ght

aimsurplus always has tons of 54r in and good prices/choice/ czech/yugo/russian surp. I pretty much grab all my stuff from them for the mosin.

Might check up at Cheeks. I was up there last weekend but never looked to see if he had any but he did the time before that. I believe they had some 440 packs.

Where is this Cheek's you speak of?

Mike.357 I got your PM on ammunitiontogo I have bought through them before but think I can find it just a bit cheaper if I keep looking.

Maybe locally if I can find this Cheek's place and save on shipping.