I am not trying to offend anyone, merely wonder what other opinions are. I have a nice 1939 91/30 , but it is the last rifle I would grab to take to the range. I guess most people like them because they are cheap to buy and relatively cheap to shoot. Personally, I think they are Russian junk. I would much rather grab my M1 Garand or K98 to take to the range than my Mosin. Any opinions either way? :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, I dunno, it has it's place. Granted yeah, I'd rather shoot my Garand or my EBR, but honestly imo it's almost as much fun to me to shoot. Not to mention that shooting up 54R ammo doesnt make me nearly as sick as shooting up my 5.56.

Guest Astra900

First off, with comments like that, I hope you have your defensive typing skills honed keen :D because the troll hunters will be here soon.

I don't think they are junk. Sure when compared to '98 or a Krag, they are a bit crude, but they are tough as nails. The finnish made Mosins are actually VERY nice rifles capable of serious accuracy.

I have a pair of M44's and I don't run to them every range trip either, but I do like them, or I wouldn't keep them. They have their place.

It's all belly buttons and a22holes; We all got em, everybody may not enjoy it if you share them too much:p Personally I wouldn't give fifty cents for a Garand or 1911 unless I could sell them for a profit. I've had both, and hated them. BUT, I can't call them junk because I don't like them. I hate Chevrolet too, but they build some darn fast race cars. To say they are junk is really not fair.

It all boils down to opinions and what you like, and you're an American, you get the freedom to love em or leave em. Just be mindful of how you step on some excessively sensitive toes, some people get defensive to an extreme over what they like.:)

Guest falcon_cjb

I've got a two M91/30s. I've used them both to outshoot my friend at 200 yards prone, he uses a DPMS.

However, my M44 is a piece of :). Then again, it was a pawn shop rescue that I fixed, so that might be part of it.

I like mine (minus the M44) cause they are reliable, easy to clean, and scare the :D out of the others at the range when it kicks off.

It all boils down to opinions and what you like, and you're an American, you get the freedom to love em or leave em. Just be mindful of how you step on some excessively sensitive toes, some people get defensive to an extreme over what they like.:)

I thought a disclaimer in the first sentence would suffice. I take it back, Mosin's are not junk...I just don't personally care for the! But an M1 not worth .50 seems more dangerous.:D:P

They are what they are, cheap, cheap to shoot, reliable, and in my opinion fun to shoot. I like the M44 better than a 91/30 because it blows a big ass fireball when you shoot it. Do I like shooting it better than my M1 or my EBR's? No, but i still enjoy shooting it. Guns are like every other hobby there is somthing out there for everyone.

-Jason G

Mosin hype? There is an upside to a crudely machined truck axle, a stock made from the finest grade of 2x4 framing lumber, a trigger which is very close kin to the parking brake in my 36 plymouth, and sights calibrated to a measure that no one on this planet uses.

With the bayonet extended, they make dandy tomato stakes. :)

I like mine to watch all the pansy a** guys that think the recoil is so much when I hand it to my 12yr old boy to put 20rds downrange & look up with a smile from ear to ear.

If you have a gun & don't like it may I ask why you still have it?

Guest Astra900
:D

What? I don't like them, They are NOT junk, but I don't like them, and if I had to keep it, I wouldn't have another one. I'm sure there are things y'all don't like, that I think is :screwy: Ain't freedom of choice beautiful like that?

I thought a disclaimer in the first sentence would suffice. I take it back, Mosin's are not junk...I just don't personally care for them But an M1 not worth .50 seems more dangerous.:shhh::P

:shrug: If you don't like something, you just don't like it. There's no need for any of us to justify what we like and don't.

I've had a sackful of 1911's and 2 Garands. We never got along. All great guns, but we just never learned to like one another. Just one of those things I suppose.

Guest Arko
I am not trying to offend anyone, merely wonder what other opinions are. I have a nice 1939 91/30 , but it is the last rifle I would grab to take to the range. I guess most people like them because they are cheap to buy and relatively cheap to shoot. Personally, I think they are Russian junk. I would much rather grab my M1 Garand or K98 to take to the range than my Mosin. Any opinions either way? :D

Well, some of us can't afford a Garand. Why don't you give me yours, so I can compare it to the junky Mosin I have, and I'll keep whichever I like best? :screwy:

Guest Jcochran88

When I brought mine home I attached the bayonet. My wife just looked at me and said WHY? I said because I can!!

Guest Bluemax
:wall: I know what you mean, I had to do the same thing. She thought I was:screwy:

I don't know about everybody else but I think my better half kinda likes it when I extend my bayonet....Come to think about it...there was that time I woke up, looked in the bathroom mirror and someone had writen Mosin on my forehead..thats about the time she started calling me Boom Boom... Humm??? ;););)

Guest Bronker

Off-hand, the felt recoil of mine is no big deal.

On the bench, she's a beast.

I do love shooting mine though! For $55, I couldn't pass her up. Its just like everything else I have...nothing special to anyone but me!

And that's ok!

Guest gcrookston

Sorry, I skipped to the end here and only lightly read the other's posts, sorry if I am redundant, but this is kind of a boring thread with a lot of ignorance and empty arguments with poorly constructed syllogisms.

The Mosin came into being during the time of the development of the Gew98, and the US was still using those blasted Krags. Tactics of the time called for controlled shooting at distances of 300 to 900 metres.

Tada. The rifle fit the bill. And it did a good job. Just like many countries of the time, Russia continued to press forward the theory of controlled fire for another 60 years.

Reliable. Accurate and Effective.

Today it is an affordable piece of 19th century arms that supported itself admirably well into the 1st half of the 20th century.

Garand? Ya, great rifle... developed nearly 40 years after this old timer. Apples and Oranges.

Remember, when the Russians were fielding Mosins, we were fielding Krags... How great was the Krag? Read what Teddy R. had to say about them against the Mausers in Cuba...

It was a great rifle in its day and holds 60 years of history in it.

As for felt recoil, my first deer rifle when I was 12 was a Springfield '03... There is an entire generation now grown up on .223 and 7.62x39 that has no concept of "getting on a weapon" -- not to control the shot, but rather, to control the rifle and the shot. Show me an AR with a Muzzle brake and I'll show you the man/woman behind it fails to comprehend the art of marksmanship.

Edited by gcrookston
xd, your boy must be like hulk if he doesn't mind the recoil :P

I'll see if I can get a pic of him shooting it this weekend. Give it he is 12 but I gave him some of my old pants to wear yesterday. He is about 130lbs now, that is what I was when I got married at 21. He is also about as tall as I am & wears a 10 shoe.

Remember their original action design was in 1891, millions were mass produced by Soviet block countries and some by Remington and Westinghouse to arm the average commie infantryman so they are a no frills duty rifle but they did their job. That being said back when my brother was a big hunter he took his limit of bucks with one shot for three years with a Mosin with no scope made by Remington between WW1 and WW2.