• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It literally takes 5 minutes max. Knock one pin out on the back sight, and replace with the new one, knock pin back in. The front sight on the russian is different from the finnish, but shouldn't be too much trouble. For me, it was a matter of two flat-head screws.

Guest HCRoadie

Diversity is key. I do not know if that really applies here, but I have an assortment of rifles and hand guns. All of which have there place in either my shooting or in history.

Diversity is key.

Go ahead and celebrate your diversity! :lol:

Just messin' with ya.

The more I shoot my 91/30 the more I like it. Have learned to not shoot it from the bench (rifle sandbagged, shooter in some akward postition), but when I do have to sit, it's all free-hand. Ammo's cheap.

The $14 rubber buttpad you can get works wonders on the narrow-ass end of the thing.

Regardless of the fact that Mosins are about the ugliest rifles ever invented, I know mine saw some action in WWII. That's why I like it.

Edited by Garufa
Guest looneeetunes

well i have two m44's and a 91/30 on order. not the most accurate gun when compared to some more modern rifles. but is accurate enough to have a great time shooting it. and accurate enough for me to take hunting

I agree with everything in Garufa's post.

The things are relatively inexpensive. Ammo is as affordable as a .30 cal rifle cartridge gets. Ammo is available. It has a large ass boom when you discharge it. It is reliable and accurate. Can't ask for much more.

I love the rubber buttpad. While it serves the same purpose it does not have the wussified look to it as a slip on sleeve would have. In other words it is manly looking!

I would be guessing mine saw some kind of action. Made in 1939, the matching bolt definitely shows wear from lots and lots of shooting. The bore is still good, someone took fine care of it. And the forestock has been broken and skillfully repaired. Almost looks like two different stocks were culled to make one. There was almost no bluing left on it. Anyway, all of that makes me like the rifle even more.

I think "hype" is not the word for it. Hype is defined as the following

noun 5.exaggerated publicity; hoopla.6.an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.7.a swindle, deception, or trick.

I think the Mosin Nagant rifle is a fine firearm, lots of history and lots of fun to shoot. No hype, just fact.

Go ahead and celebrate your diversity! :hat:

Just messin' with ya.

The more I shoot my 91/30 the more I like it. Have learned to not shoot it from the bench (rifle sandbagged, shooter in some akward postition), but when I do have to sit, it's all free-hand. Ammo's cheap.

The $14 rubber buttpad you can get works wonders on the narrow-ass end of the thing.

Regardless of the fact that Mosins are about the ugliest rifles ever invented, I know mine saw some action in WWII. That's why I like it.

Buttpad? Sergei Mosin would have put one on it if it needed one.

I agree with everything in Garufa's post.

The things are relatively inexpensive. Ammo is as affordable as a .30 cal rifle cartridge gets. Ammo is available. It has a large ass boom when you discharge it. It is reliable and accurate. Can't ask for much more.

I love the rubber buttpad. While it serves the same purpose it does not have the wussified look to it as a slip on sleeve would have. In other words it is manly looking!

I would be guessing mine saw some kind of action. Made in 1939, the matching bolt definitely shows wear from lots and lots of shooting. The bore is still good, someone took fine care of it. And the forestock has been broken and skillfully repaired. Almost looks like two different stocks were culled to make one. There was almost no bluing left on it. Anyway, all of that makes me like the rifle even more.

I think "hype" is not the word for it. Hype is defined as the following

I think the Mosin Nagant rifle is a fine firearm, lots of history and lots of fun to shoot. No hype, just fact.

I was happy with the accuracy at the last meet n' shoot. Hitting the size target we were shooting at 100yds was fine for me.

Seems like you talked me into at the last fun show. :hat:

OH SNAP!, (been dying to say that)

bubbiesdad said -I was happy with the accuracy at the last meet n' shoot. Hitting the size target we were shooting at 100yds was fine for me.

I agree. We shot at that distance Saturday and I was pretty pleased with the grouping I was getting. Definitely minute of man. I even had one round out of a set of twenty or so that was smack in the center of the bulls eye. Which really only proves the old axiom that a blind horse finds the barn once in a while :hat:

If you like it I say buy it. I am sure you can find one cheaper, no doubt you can find one that costs more. If you like it then it is worthwhile.

You may want to make sure numbers match on the parts, but to me that is not a deal breaker. I do like bolts and chambers to have matching numbers.

And that stock cannot be rougher looking than what I have is, LOL.

Is it 125 plus tax and tics? Or is that out the door?

Forgot to mention, look at the bolt face. If it is bright and shiny it may have never been shot.

Slight pitting on the face would be normal. My bolt face looks like hell. Unless someone de-cosmolined it you will not see much looking at the bore.

Edited by Mike.357

I'll assume + tax and tics. A dealer had several at a gunshow last weekend in Greenville, TN. Two as described, and a couple that had the stocks finished, scopes, and the bolts rearranged to allow the scopes. If I remember correctly he was asking something like $289 for the dressed up versions. Anyway he still had these as they were closing down on Sunday so I figure I could drop by his shop and get one if I decided to go with it. I kept going back to his table on Sunday but didn't want to impulse buy. Now I'm wondering if I should have grabbed one. I've kind of been looking for another Carcano but they seem to be a bit more rare than the Mosins. I like the old military stuff. It's like holding history in your hands.

It's like holding history in your hands.

And that is why I would take a milsurp instead of the ar type rifles. My milsurps have soul.

I think the price is fair. If you looked harder maybe you find one for less, maybe not???

No reason to jump though. They are not impossible to find just yet. But if you like it then get it.

I just picked up a 1967 "sneak" M39. I can't wait to see what this thing will do. I've heard that most of these "sneaks" will do sub MOA. Too bad I can't shoot that well!

As far as the buttpad thing goes. I turned my shoulder yellow twice shooting from the bench with mosins. After that, it is limbsaver all the way.

I have found that shooting from the bench that a butt pad does not really help all that much. The only way I can shoot it sitting down is to support it with my elbows or hold it totally up in the air with my arms. Off a rest it makes me cry.

I like the screwed on pad if for no other reason than it adds some more space from my eyes to the rear sights. And it really does not look goofy like a sleeve looks.

I think old age comes into play too when shooting the thing. I have sore shoulders just from being an old fart. When I was a young buck recoil was laughable.

sub-moa and mosin nagant... two words I'd never thought to see in the same sentence....

Mike, you complain about your shoulder, I'll complain about my eyes. I can't even see a 1 inch target at a hundred yards anymore.

sub-moa and mosin nagant... two words I'd never thought to see in the same sentence....

Mike, you complain about your shoulder, I'll complain about my eyes. I can't even see a 1 inch target at a hundred yards anymore.

Nice of you to weigh in Mark.

I complain about the shoulder, I figure the eyesight goes without saying. I can't see the bullseye at 100 yards. I just aim in the general direction and lob them in there. I figure if I can hit a sewer lid at that distance I did my part.

I do believe a big part of any accuracy with a Mosin Nagant is the ammo.

I have some that is pretty consistant and had some that is all over the place.

I am getting a bit of Russian ammo soon and I am curious as to how consistant that will be from round to round.

forgot to ask, whats a "sneak"?

The best I can dig up is that the sneak rifles were made between 67 and 71 for the purpose of target shooting. They were made from selected new old stock parts from when the finns ceased producing rifles (1945?). They are reported to be accurate, because they were built and fitted from selected parts with accuracy in mind.

From what I've read, and this is hard to substantiate, but I've read it in multiple places FWIW that none of the Finnish m39s would be put into service if unless they shot 1.5" at 100m.

I've never seen one of these sneaks before. But the one that is on its way is unissued, so I can't wait to fire it. :(

Edited by 9teeneleven
Nice of you to weigh in Mark.

I complain about the shoulder, I figure the eyesight goes without saying. I can't see the bullseye at 100 yards. I just aim in the general direction and lob them in there. I figure if I can hit a sewer lid at that distance I did my part.

I do believe a big part of any accuracy with a Mosin Nagant is the ammo.

I have some that is pretty consistant and had some that is all over the place.

I am getting a bit of Russian ammo soon and I am curious as to how consistant that will be from round to round.

I really like the bulgarian stuff. I've only had one bad bullet (wouldn't even come close to chambering), and a couple split necks in 500 rds.

I coughed up for some of the match SVD ammo but never found it to be worth the $$. Certainly no more accurate in the finn than the bulgarian. Maybe it is best suited to the SVD.

I've got 800rds of czech on the way, and I've been told that it is pretty good. By far the worst stuff I've shot is Barnaul zinc plated. Wolf wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it kept jamming the bolt.

From what I've heard, the russin mosins like light ball, and the finns like heavier bullets. Unfortunately, the heavier stuff is not as plentiful.

Mike, did you end up ordering the mojo peep sights?