Gun Safe Vendors

I didn't really want to start a new thread but when I tried a search on "gun safe" it brought back every instance of "gun" and "safe". You can imagine how many hits that was.

Beside the point! I'm looking for safe vendors in the Nashville area. My son was broken into last night while he was out and lost two handguns and a computer. Even if insurance pays he will be out the deductible. I thought I might help him get a gun safe that would at least slow thieves down. Any recommendations?

• Administrator

Tractor Supply sells Canon brand safes for reasonable prices. SAMS club often sells Canon safes also, often under the Browning brand. Costco probably does as well. I know that Hero Gear is a vendor for at least one major safe company and there may be others represented here that I'm not aware of.

Regarding your search, I'd try it with the words GUN SAFE surrounded by quotes like this: "gun safe"

Not sure what part of the state you're in, but there's a place called The Safe House on 4th Avenue in Nashville. I haven't dealt with them, but have seen their setup at the Smyrna gun show, and a couple of folks have recommended them to me.

Guest Bronker

Noticed in the sales paper this week that at Tractor Supply there's a Canon safe, 28 guns, 60"x20"x30". Appears to be a digital.

On sale $599.99

Guest JHatmaker

A gun safe is definately the best solution, but if your budget doesn't allow, let me make a suggestion. I recently bought a lockable gun "cabinet" for $150 (inc tax) at Academy Sports. It weighs around 100lbs, so it's easily installed, and has holes in the bottom and comes with screws to bolt to the floor. Once you fill it with guns and ammo it would be almost impossible for 1-2 thiefs to steal quickly (if at all). I've got mine in my upstairs closet. It's locking system locks the door top and bottom and middle, so it's pretty secure.

Again, a real gun "safe" is the best way to go (especially when you consider that the guns inside cost 5 times what the safe will cost you), and one day I'll get one, but if you want something more economical in the meantime, consider one of these.

• Administrator
A gun safe is definately the best solution, but if your budget doesn't allow, let me make a suggestion. I recently bought a lockable gun "cabinet" for $150 (inc tax) at Academy Sports. It weighs around 100lbs, so it's easily installed, and has holes in the bottom and comes with screws to bolt to the floor. Once you fill it with guns and ammo it would be almost impossible for 1-2 thiefs to steal quickly (if at all). I've got mine in my upstairs closet. It's locking system locks the door top and bottom and middle, so it's pretty secure.

Again, a real gun "safe" is the best way to go (especially when you consider that the guns inside cost 5 times what the safe will cost you), and one day I'll get one, but if you want something more economical in the meantime, consider one of these.

How large is the cabinet that you bought? I had a Sentinel cabinet that I sold here recently and should have kept for other purposes. Now I wish I had it back.

Guest jos2f

I think any sort of locking cabinet is better than none with it comes to storing guns. In the case of the $150 cabinet, just decorate it with pink and purple flowers and leave some stickers and yarn hanging out of it, maybe would be BG's will think it is a craft storage cabinet!

Although, I'm not convinced that the wooden cabinets with glass in them are such a good idea except for display purposes (sorry if that offends anyone)

Guest JHatmaker
How large is the cabinet that you bought? I had a Sentinel cabinet that I sold here recently and should have kept for other purposes. Now I wish I had it back.

It's a Sentinel, the black one (vs the Green model which is a little bigger). Here's some shots, the Rubbermaid shelf is a $10 option :screwy:

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

I just got a really nice steel gun cabinet from Academy Sports for $80. After I bolted it to the walls and floor, and after all the ammo and guns it won't budge. My goal is to have a nice safe but for now, $80 is a hell of a deal.

I might steal your idea JHatmaker and throw a shelf in it for handguns. Great idea.

Guest lb333

Be sure to get a fire rated safe. Just went through a house fire and the locksmith said it was the worst he had seen. When we got it open, everything was fine. Only grips on one pistol were melted a bit. May cost a little more but definitely well worth it. Saved me lots of money.

Guest JHatmaker
Be sure to get a fire rated safe. Just went through a house fire and the locksmith said it was the worst he had seen. When we got it open, everything was fine. Only grips on one pistol were melted a bit. May cost a little more but definitely well worth it. Saved me lots of money.

Definately, that's what I'll eventually get a true fire-proof safe. When you add up all the guns, valubables, documents, etc, it pails in comparison to the one time expense of a $1000 gun safe.

But until that day, the Academy special will have to do...

Guest flyfishtn
Check out the SAFEHOUSE on 4th ave in Nashville! They are great both in selection and customer service!! Not cheap, but you get what you pay for!

That is where I got my Browning safe and love it. They have great set-up service and really know how and have the equipment to move and install.

:up:

Many others have come up with great places to check, but I'll ad my two cents. When I got home from Iraq last year I shopped around ALOT. I was able to find the largest, most accomidating safe at Dick's. I bought their 45 gun safe for a little under $1100. Everyone else, like Bass Pro and Sportsmans Wherehouse wanted several hundred more for a comperable model.

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading through the post concerning gun safes and had to comment on the low cost safes bought at TSC, Dicks , Academy , etc. All I have to say is don't leave a screw driver or crowbar close to your "safe" because you can pry them open in under 2 minutes with no problem. :D

Was reading through the post concerning gun safes and had to comment on the low cost safes bought at TSC, Dicks , Academy , etc. All I have to say is don't leave a screw driver or crowbar close to your "safe" because you can pry them open in under 2 minutes with no problem. :puke:

That would be the cabinets...their safes are actually as good as any of the mainline manufacturers offerings.

That would be the cabinets...their safes are actually as good as any of the mainline manufacturers offerings.

That is incorrect, check out this video and maybe you will change your mind.

As for the safe brands sold at:

Dicks (Stack On) easy to pry and poorly built. Imported

Academy: (Cannon American Eagle Series) Thin door and body ,easy to pry, 30 minute fire rating, which is almost worthless. Imported

TSC: (Cannon American Eagle or Rhino Bighorn-made for TSC ,lower quality than regular Bighorn model) Thin door and body, Imported

Sams: (Winchester or Remington) Built by Granite Security which moved their entire plant from Fort Worth TX to China. Quality low, thin door and body. 30 min fire rating.

You also need to look at the warranty on the safes and how the company backs up their products. Some not very well.

I just replaced a gun safe last week that had been pried open by someone during a break in, popped open like a tin can. So don't think that the cheap safes you buy in the big box stores are nothing more than metal boxes. You can compare them to a lock on your front door, it will only keep honest people honest. :D

I just bought a safe from Steelwater Safes. I shopped around quite a bit and found Steelwater to be a good balance between price and quality. The price included delivery to my door. I ordered it late on Friday and it was delivered the following Thursday and that's over the long holiday weekend. It's better built than those I've seen locally for twice the price. No regrets. It's worth a look:

Steelwater Gun Safes Free Shipping on all Gun Safes

No, I'm not a dealer or salesguy and don't get any kickback. I'm just happy with my purchase.