Compact .45???

titan14

Ok guys...the boys @ the Gun Depot have gotten me thinking....

I want a compact .45 to carry ....I would prefer a 1911...but...i want something small and "easy" to conceal....

I love the Para that Brian let me "feel"...

And I am also considering the Taurus Millennium in .45....

Give me some ideas....and I don't want to promise my first born for one either....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Para Hawg (not the slim) and loved it. The only issue I had with it is that you had to keep a tight grip on it or you could get a FTF. I could shoot it all day without a problem but it would FTF on other shooters trying it out. The 1911s just weren't designed to work best in a 3 or 3.5 inch barrel IMO. Come to think of it, I was not really impressed with the finish on the Hawg either. It was flaking off in places.

I moved on to a XD45C that is a little bigger but has yet to fail me.

You might take a look at the Kahr CW45. Not too bad on price, reliable and shoots great. 6+1 cap. Grip checkering is a little rough on the hands and a slip on grip took care of that for me.

I actually looked at and felt one of these today....I loved the feel of it...but...Im not sure about the DAO...I like a hammer that I can see....but....it IS something that I am considering...

Guest MCRAIG

The PT145 Mill PRO is my carry weapon. It is accurate and light, however if you have big ol paws like I do the magazine release if very easy to accidentally pump and then you have a jammed gun and a magazine at your feet. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to hold it right. Great gun though, as long as you don't hit the magazine release it is jam free.

I'd think that no decision should be complete until you've looked at/shot one of those.

- OS

+100000000:clap:

Bought one of these a couple of months ago. XD45 Compact....love it. Fits my hand perfect. Mine is in the "Dark Earth" flavor. I carry it every day in a crossbreed supertuck holster.:lol:

I have the PT145 and carry it the most. It conceals well, shoots good, and carries 10+1.

I am not a taurus fan, but I like the PT145. It is tough to get a 10+1 .45 into something that small. I am thinking about picking one up.

I've traded for and gotten rid of most of what has been mentioned above over the years. I hoped the reworked Springfields would like me better but they don't I still have the PT145 I got a good deal on in the safe but noticed I seldom carry it. I've decided my next compact .45 will be the Series 90 Colt Defender with wood instead of wrap-around rubber grips.

Cherokee Slim

Guest HexHead

In a sub-compact 1911 for carry, you won't do better than a Colt New Agent. Utterly reliable. I've taken to carrying it regularly instead of my Nighthawk. That's how good it is.

In a sub-compact 1911 for carry, you won't do better than a Colt New Agent. Utterly reliable. I've taken to carrying it regularly instead of my Nighthawk. That's how good it is.

I asked for feedback on the New Agent on the Colt forum and didn't get any at all. They all liked the Defender. Did you look at the Defender? How hard was it to adapt to the slot sight on the NA?

Cherokee Slim

Guest readyornot

+1 on the Colt Defender. 1911 platform. Excellent carry gun. Holds recoil of the .45 really well. Extremely accurate out to 25 yards. Only drawback is it's a Colt so $$$ come in to play. Probably run you somewhere in the $800-$1000 range.

+1 on the Colt Defender. 1911 platform. Excellent carry gun. Holds recoil of the .45 really well. Extremely accurate out to 25 yards. Only drawback is it's a Colt so $$$ come in to play. Probably run you somewhere in the $800-$1000 range.

My next buy was for a .45 on the subcompact 1911. I researched these two Colts and was about to order the Defender. I'd like to know more about the NA. I wanted to stay under $1000.

Cherokee Slim

Guest tedbo

I have an Atra A-75 in .45 that I really liked. It has a blued finish at this time but I would like to send it to CCR for their cera-coat(?) finish,maybe in matte black or od green.

It has the ambi-decocker and I shot very well with it when I carried it.

I had Milt sparks make a summer special for it and I have a great combo.

I bought it about 10 yrs ago for about 325 bucks out the door.

Edited by tedbo
I had a Para Hawg (not the slim) and loved it. The only issue I had with it is that you had to keep a tight grip on it or you could get a FTF. I could shoot it all day without a problem but it would FTF on other shooters trying it out. The 1911s just weren't designed to work best in a 3 or 3.5 inch barrel IMO. Come to think of it, I was not really impressed with the finish on the Hawg either. It was flaking off in places.

I moved on to a XD45C that is a little bigger but has yet to fail me.

I second this advice. The short barrel 1911's are evidently very sensitive to both hold and ammo. This results if failures to feed. In the "old days" it was thought that the commander length (4.25") barrel was as short as you should go for reliable cycling and feeding. I believe that this is right; as i've seen several 3 inch guns for sale due to their owners not being able to get them to shoot reliably. The biggest selling feature for concealing a 1911 type pistol is its slender and flat profile. Take the time to play around with a full size (5 inch) 1911. You will be amazed at the ease with which it can be concealed. If you dont want to give an arm and a leg for a pistol, try out the full size or commander length 1911's made by Taurus or look at some of the mil-spec Springfields. They are great shooters. The longer barrel will help with the velocity issue. A three inch gun turns a 850 fps load into about a 750 fps load if you shoot hardball. If you use the lighter weight "defensive" ammo; the velocity loss will be greater.

Hope this helps.

LEROY