The day after legal restaurant carry

Assuming the restaurant carry bill goes through (one that was long overdue), I throughly expect a lot of signs will begin to grace the portal of some of our favorite eateries.

Other than the old standby cry, "if they don't want my business, I ain't gonna patronize em", what are your plans when these signs start popping up?

The non patronizing thing sort of worked when a few places posted and it was easy to go somewhere else and when it was totally illegal to enter an establishment that served while carrying but this law adds another level to the equation. I suspect (but hope not) that a good number of restaurants will start gluing signs preventing us from legally entering with our firearms.

I personally plan to do a lot of discussion with managers and owners in an extremely civilized and logical manner. I have a planed series of logical arguments against the signage and respectful requests that they take it down.

I know that in most cases this will do little good but I have also decided that doing nothing and just giving in is not in the cards. Anyone can do that, it is the easy way to tackle it. I don't do easy.

If after the discussion, I see it has gone nowhere, I will then tell the owner / manager that I am forced to post the name of his establishment on the many firearm forums to which I subscribe to let others know the business doesn't trust legal carry holders with their patronage. I will thank him or her for their time and ask they reconsider at a future date when the initial fear factor wears off and they see other establishments have had no problem.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we'll have many restaurants post against carry either. What I think we may see is some restaurant put up signs that are not "properly posted". What bothers me about that is, depending on the cop, if they are called, you could end up in the back of the car with your gun confiscated. (The attorney will probably cost you more than the gun did to prove that they were wrong!) With all of the stories about LEOs not knowing the HCP laws, this could easily happen.

I think we need to draft a form letter that we can mail to the restaurants that display a, legal or not, sign to tell them that we are disappointed in their decision and our family of five (or however many) will not patronize their business because of that decision.

It's amazing how much a well written letter gets done!

Guest Old goat

I think 30 days after it goes into effect, the anti's are gonna be pissed because nothing happened. And I think some folks carrying are gonna be pissed because it will very hard to find a place they can bitch about for not allowing carry.

I think 30 days after it goes into effect, the anti's are gonna be pissed because nothing happened. And I think some folks carrying are gonna be pissed because it will very hard to find a place they can bitch about for not allowing carry.

This is the most accurate statement of the morning.

Restaurant owners don't want guns on patrons minds.

I don't see much posting of these places.

And if they do? Well it is their right to do so and I am fine with that.

I agree.

Oh and BTW I spoke with the mgt at Outbacks in Cleveland and they thought I was carrying anyway:p. Told me "feel better knowing someone beside the bad guy's are carrying"

Now that's my kind of restaurant. Of course when I go there they treat me well.

Guest HexHead

Last summer I traveled to GA, FL, AL, MS, KY and MO and ate in many restaurants while armed. I don't recall ever seeing a "posted" sign in any of those states.

Only an idiot of a restauranteur would put up a sign telling hundreds of thousands of potential customers he doesn't want their business. Especially now when less people are eating out in the first place.

I honestly hope I am really off base with my assessment of this from my original post but I have already read in a few papers quotes from restaurant owners and managers that they will post "no gun" signs. I also hope these are few and far between but we shall see how it goes.

I WANT to be proven wrong on this issue and hopefully NO "no guns" signs go up.

Guest bkelm18

I fully expect Mike Chase's restaurants to be posted since he was such an outspoken critic of the bill. But that's about it. I highly doubt many, if any, other restaurants will post.

Slightly OT...

One place that I already don't like and don't want to go to any more is Buffalo WIld Wings. First, their food sucks, second, they are expensive, and third, the have a sign on the door stating something to the effect of "We ban guns on these premises." Until this new law goes into effect, they have no reason to post because they have that huge bar in the back!

Anytime I see the term "ban" near the word "guns" it gets my blood pressure up. I wonder what kind of liberal pansy owns that chain anyways.

Guest ScottD
Slightly OT...

One place that I already don't like and don't want to go to any more is Buffalo WIld Wings. First, their food sucks, second, they are expensive, and third, the have a sign on the door stating something to the effect of "We ban guns on these premises." Until this new law goes into effect, they have no reason to post because they have that huge bar in the back!

Anytime I see the term "ban" near the word "guns" it gets my blood pressure up. I wonder what kind of liberal pansy owns that chain anyways.

I believe they are based out of Michigan, don't quote me on it.

On that note, wanna meet up @ Toot's for a beer? :poop:

I've said before I'd be really surprised if you see many signs. Most of the chain places won't post because they need the money.

You gotta remember that alot of people will speak out about these bills on their face, but really don't care once they pass. They just need to play the game.

Guest unreconstructed1
i think nothing will change unless some of the open carry yahoos cause it

yeah, just like the stink that all those "guns in bars" yahoos caused, wanting to exercise their constitutional rights in a bar... imagine the horror...