Guns everybody should have in their life.

wjh2657

The ones that mean the most to me: Marlin Golden trigger lever action .22 and a Savage 30-30 bolt action that was originally my great grandfathers. The .22 was the first gun my dad every took us hunting with and it was mostly for fun and plinking although a lot of squirrels got shot at with it! The 30-30 has been kinda of the family hunting rifle for along long time. I'm guessing my great grandfather got one of the first made when they came out. It has taken a lot of deer and still looks and shoots great. I even have some of the original ammo from the 60's for it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every body needs a .22 Marlin model 60 & or 10/22. I still have mine along with my Nylon 66. They will go nowhere.

Second everyone needs a single shot .410 or 20ga. The bad thing is I don't have either right now. I have a single 12 & 10 ga.

Ahh the old Single, the most under appreciated gun around. The Redheaded stepchild of firearms. Yet, it's the one most of us cut our teeth on.

+1 Loved my singles. Started out with the H&R .410 at 14 then graduated to a 12 at 16.

Long ago I was watching the old show Tennessee Outdoors with Jimmy Holt, they were on a quail hunt with about 4 adults and one 12 year old kid. All the adults had high dollar auto 12's and the kid had an H&R .410 single. He didn't miss a single bird and shot his limit. Seems like ol Jimmy just wasted money on his Browning auto 12. :D

On a funny note on that same show, Jimmy busted a bird no futher than 12 feet away, all you could see was a big poof of feathers. They didn't show the bird because there was probably no bird left. :tough:

I'm going to say everyone should own a good quality high power scoped bolt action, either in .308 or 30-06. Remington 700 maybe.

I currently don't own one, had one once. If I had the dollars right now I believe that's what I would buy, a Rem 700 again in 30-06 and a good quality scope in the $250+ range.

Guest SUNTZU

Marlin Model 60. My uncle would let me plink at a can on the ground from his deck. He then loaded it up and made the can dance around in the air. I've never looked back.

Guest Jcochran88

Well same as most Marlin 60 that was my grandfather's(use to kill hogs with it, had one step on the stock and break it. Won't fix it that's how it was when he gave it to me and then he passed away 3 days later), also a nef 20ga. Had to cut down the stock so it would fit man good times.

"Most influence and fondest memories" Daisy BB gun when I was 5, everything else has simply been an upgrade.:wall:

+1

Closely followed my my first real gun. Stevens single shot .410. It was my dad's first gun when he turned 8. I got it when I was 8. My daughter got it when she was 8. It's in the safe waiting on my grandchildern. My daughter took a squirrel with it last year. She doesn't use it as much as her .22, but it's still a fun gun.

First gun I learned on was my fathers JC Higgins (Sears Roebuck) 12 gauge bolt action.

The long gun I shoot the most is my Colt 6450 because the indoor ranges are the most convenient because of my work schedule.

The gun everyone should own is a Mossberg 500 or a Rem 870. They are as American as apple pie.

My first shots were fired from my Daddy's Savage single shot bolt action saddle rifle in 22 short when I was about 6. A tiny little tack driver that had belonged to his Father. A model 1903? maybe? My brother has the gun now, and it will go to his son one day. I actually shot a fly off a paper plate target one day with it from about 15 yards. :cheers:

TK47

Ha, I thought I was special growing up! Seems to be a recurring theme of Model 60's and H&R single shot shotguns! Wonder if that's because they were super cheap "back in the day"? Whatever the reason, I was grateful for mine. I still am. And it seems they're going to turn out to be "heirlooms". Funny how such inexpensive guns end up being priceless, huh?

Guest SUNTZU

Model 60's are still super cheap. I paid $70 for one two years ago in like new condition. That's a lot of fun for that little bit of cash.

Model 60's are still super cheap. I paid $70 for one two years ago in like new condition. That's a lot of fun for that little bit of cash.

Yep. Brand spanking new they sell for under $150. Great little guns, and accurate as all get out. My son and I still shoot mine regularly, and it seems to be his favorite out of all of 'em. He has a Mossberg 702 that he got for Christmas year before last, and loves it, but he still asks "Daddy, can I shoot your Marlin?"

Guest GunTroll

My first gun I bought as a child is no longer with me. Stolen! Break open 20 ga NEF. Loved that thing. I cut lots of grass to get her.

I own plenty but I'm very found of a Remington 550-1. It was my grandads. Then my fathers, and now mine. One day my son will get it. 1956-7 ish and very accurate with its original fixed 4 weaver. Scopes cloudy as hell but it ads charm for me.

Guest Guitarsnguns

Most influence and fondest memories: Marlin 15 and H&R Topper (Model 128)

Shoot the most today: Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500.

Consider most essential (everybody should have one!): Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500. ( some of you will substitute Ruger 10/22 and Remington 870 here, works the same)

Yes, I am an essential Ruger 10/22 and Mossberg 500 guy. As for influence and fondest memories...I would have to say my fondest memories are from my first rifle given to me by my Dad. - Savage 24 series 22/20ga over and under. (Still have that one) and influence...my first chinese SKS (Still have that one too) It opened the door to my current 7.62x39 fixation. Oh yeah, can't leave out the Remington 700 with Simmons whitetail scope & Versa-Pod bi-pod. (That one will shoot the wings off a fly @ 250 yards)

Edited by Guitarsnguns
Forgot one
Guest 3pugguy
I was just musing through my arsenal the other day and got to thinking. Which guns had the most influence on my life? Which guns do I remember with the fondest memories and shoot the most today? I am not going to cover handguns as many people never really get into handguns (I EDC but a lot of my neighbors don't even own a handgun.)

Most influence and fondest memories: Marlin 15 and H&R Topper (Model 128)

Shoot the most today: Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500.

Consider most essential (everybody should have one!): Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500. ( some of you will substitute Ruger 10/22 and Remington 870 here, works the same)

I learned to shoot as a kid of about 6 or 7 on a winchester .22 rifle; couldn't tell you the model on my life, but some may know it: it would shoot long or short and loaded below the barrel. It had a little scope on it and I coud hit a squirrel, shooting almost vertically (if I could see a piece of him, he was gone).

Sadly, that little gun, along with my Daddy's other guns (including a Fox 28 gauge side by side, a custom built .270, Browning Sweet 16, etc) are all gone due my brother (you can guess what our relationship is like - it isn't pretty).

I did get his knives, thanks to my Mom.

But like many on here, I learned gun safety from my Daddy and can hear his voice (God rest his soul) anytime I touch or am around a gun, telling me to ALWAYS treat it like it was loaded, point downrange/safe - all the things that are timeless and that our Dad's (and some shootin' Moms, too) teach kids.

Edited by 3pugguy
wordy
Guest logicprevails

Many, many guns have passed through my hands, but the fondest memory is when my dad took me to buy my first gun at age 7 (many moons ago). It was a Boito .410 single. Close second was when I was 8 dad took me to get a Rossi gallery .22 pump. Still have those along with my granddad's ole .32 S&W 'lemon squeezer' he carried in his hip pocket everywhere he went (even church). The one I regret parting with the most was an old Marlin 336 in .35 Rem that dad gave me when I was 16. I traded for a TC Hawken that I still have, but I still kick myself for having gotten rid of any gun that dad gave me.

Guest MinorKey
My first gun I bought as a child is no longer with me. Stolen! Break open 20 ga NEF. Loved that thing. I cut lots of grass to get her.

I own plenty but I'm very found of a Remington 550-1. It was my grandads. Then my fathers, and now mine. One day my son will get it. 1956-7 ish and very accurate with its original fixed 4 weaver. Scopes cloudy as hell but it ads charm for me.

I have a 550-I as well that my father in law gave to me. It is a nice old rifle but when i got it, there was sand and dirt in the action and i thought he must have buried it in the river for a time!! hadn't been fired in 40 years so i put my USMC Armory Cleaner (wife) on it and it is like glass now! The floating bolt is kinda cool where you can put in shorts, longs or long rifles in any order. Really only use LRs though.

I too had lefty hippy parents so i never even had a BB gun. My buddy had one in 7th grade and a ricochet off gravel is a scar on my hand to remind me! My first firing experience was 2 years ago in Waikiki at an indoor range. Started with an instructor and a 10/22, then the Glock 19, then the Glock 22 and then a 44 Magnum revolver (everyone should have a kick like that when they are new to keep the respect by recoil!) then we went to a Beretta CX4 storm 9mm and then finally the M16 with holographic red dot scope. I was feeling so good after that i couldnt stop smiling. it has been a forest fire ever since! Now to get the Hippies armed! :tinfoil:

-MK