Hog guns

Any hog hunters on here? I lived in Florida for a long time and still travel there for work and fun a few times a year. I am heading down tonight for a week long work trip, but I am going to go hog hunting friday, saturday and sunday. Hopefully it won't be too terribly hot. Yeah right!

Here is my favorite Hog Gun. It is a Ruger Superblackhawk that started life as a 7.5" gun. I cut the barrel back to 5.5", did a lot of internal work, installed a Belt Mountain base pin and the Hunter model grips. Shooting 300gr XTP's. She has taken her share of pigs over the past 7 or so years and hopefully will take a couple more next weekend.

sbh002-1.jpg

Hopefully I will have some pics to update with in a few day.

Let's see what guns ya'll are using for hogs.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I go hoggin when I can afford the trip. I've always used a .30-.30 or a shotgun, but I'm building up my .44's, lol.

Very nice handgun.

Nice looking Ruger! I have that same gun (still a 7.5") with Hogue grips and a scope. I also have a SBH .44 blued with 4 5/8" bbl and wood grips. They are awesome guns.

There are some hogs on the property where I deer hunt. I will be going after them sometime this summer with my Winchester 94 .30-30 and the short barrel Ruger on my side. I have seen a lot of hogs in Polk county, also.

I have never taken a hog, but I hope to get out this summer. What range do you take them with your .44? What type ammo in the .44 ( hard cast, JSP...)?

Good luck.

Guest Mugster
Nice looking Ruger! I have that same gun (still a 7.5") with Hogue grips and a scope. I also have a SBH .44 blued with 4 5/8" bbl and wood grips. They are awesome guns.

There are some hogs on the property where I deer hunt. I will be going after them sometime this summer with my Winchester 94 .30-30 and the short barrel Ruger on my side. I have seen a lot of hogs in Polk county, also.

I have never taken a hog, but I hope to get out this summer. What range do you take them with your .44? What type ammo in the .44 ( hard cast, JSP...)?

Good luck.

If you want a hunting buddy, I'm available all summer (more or less) and right up the road :)

Most hog hunting is close range stuff. They won't come out of the thick in daylight usually and in tn you can't bait or shoot at night. I've never actually shot one in tn, but I'm pretty fussy over the shots I'll take. In Tx, its pretty easy the way they do it. Without dogs, I do it the hard way. Look for sign and track, still hunt them over rough terrain. Hope for a shot.

Edited by Mugster

Here is my favorite Hog Gun. It is a Ruger Superblackhawk that started life as a 7.5" gun. I cut the barrel back to 5.5", did a lot of internal work, installed a Belt Mountain base pin and the Hunter model grips. Shooting 300gr XTP's. ....

Let's see what guns ya'll are using for hogs.

Great revolver!! I like it.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest GunTroll
Not many hogs here in TN. Wish there were though......

Fun to hunt but man I wouldn't want them on my property. Damage to the land and compitition for the deer for food. At least thats my experience with them down in SC where I'm from. We used dogs and 22lr pistols. If no dogs then 44mag all the way!

I like your style! I use a 4 5/8" SS ruger vaquero and marlin 1894, both in .44 mag, for my hog duties.

I like the gun selection. We have a browning 94 type 44 mag levergun and a couple of stainless vaqueros in 45 colt -- they are a great thing.

By the way, have you tried shooting the hard cast round nose flat point bullets that the bullet casters like Oregon Trail make? We tried them in the 94 and they worked well. I would like to use the keith type semi wad cutters in the 94; but they are finiky about feeding into the chamber of the 94. They tend to hit the top of the chamber and stick, causing the lever to lock up. The round nose flat points work just fine.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest billwilly73

I have not had a chance to use them yet, but I think either will work for the little piggy

Marlin .444

SANY1407.jpg?t=1245092400

or Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag

Sany1467.jpg?t=1245092666

Here is mine:

DSCF0042.jpg

Model 1895 in 45-70 with the barrel cut down to 16". Leopold 2x scope mount up front. It's quite the little thumper.

I have wanted one of these for a long time. I have the scout mount waiting. I also have a .44mag Marlin, but I want a shorter gun to put the scout scope on.

Not a hog hunter but an Fl native, Where do you hunt there are some big puppies down around Lake Okee.

I am hunting just outside Rosewood, on the road to Chiefland. Can't remember the hwy number. My buddy has some swamp land there, but it hasn't been swampy in a few years with the drought here. We hunted it for years with no accomodations other than a tent and a hand pump well. Now he has a house, electric, water and real life flushing toilets. LOL He even has a closed circuit camera on the feeder so we can do real time checks and find out when the hogs are moving. We are lazy weenies now. BUT, I promise it was paid for in many many gallons of our sweat over the past 7 years.

What range do you take them with your .44? What type ammo in the .44 ( hard cast, JSP...)?
I use off the shelf Hornady 300gr XTP JHPs. I have shot as far away as 25-30 yards, but usual shots are about 15 yards. I usually take center of the neck / base of the head shots. I ain't had to track one shot there yet. Fingers crossed that I never do.

I have shot three with a mathews switchback and carbon arrows, but the largest was with my Rem. 700 CDL 7mm Ultra Mag thru both front shoulders!

112006_18531.jpg

I thought this guy was a bear when i first spotted him!!

DSC00167.jpg

Sow shot with archery equipment.

All of these were killed in TN. There are a lot of hogs if you know what areas to hunt!

Edited by Timberdoodle