Why a truck gun?

Superman

A earthquake in Memphis would make post Katrina New Orleans look like a afternoon walk in the park. I keep a rifle with me in case I have to walk home.

Just saying hi to a fellow Jacksonian.

ok back OT I thought about getting on of those kel tec folding rifles

What type of rifle are you guys leaving in your vehicle? I'd be scared at leaving an AR in mine explorer overnight, something a little cheap i probably wouldnt mind so much

Edited by Daps
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

I would think rifle. Why a truck gun? Why not? Defence, opportunity kills on varmints. Used to keep one in my truck in SC years ago for shooting hogs and dogs at range. Could never hit them with a pistol. The first thought that comes to mind with truck gun(s) to me are hunting and pest control. Defence secondly. If I'm in my truck/car and danger arrives I'm out! If they are motivated to follow then I'll let the gun do the talking.

I find it interesting that some of the same posters who poo-pooed the idea of a trunk handgun safe in the trunk on grounds that somebody was going to steal your car and or break into it and get the gun now feel it is okay to carry a loaded (tube) shotgun in the same trunk of the same car. Since some of you have already stated that you drive Bad-*** SUVs, the shotgun is only going to have glass between it and the BG. You can have it one way or the other but I don't really think you can argue against handgun safes and then pass on shotguns in the trunk or cab (SUV).

I open my trunk too much (groceries, Walmart bags, etc) to have anything hanging out in plain sight back there. If you bury the gun under something you negate the idea of having it available for a fight.

Besides, I think my lawyer could explain a shotgun in a house break-in situation but I really think he would have to work hard to get a SD decision on a Walmart parking lot shootout with a 12 Gauge!

I live in the country and I probably would throw my Mossberg in the back seat if I was going into the woodsy area. So the law does have merit, but I just don't see it for an urban area. You get into with the "boyz in the hood' with shotguns and it's going down as a gang banger. Their gang and yours!

Besides, I think my lawyer could explain a shotgun in a house break-in situation but I really think he would have to work hard to get a SD decision on a Walmart parking lot shootout with a 12 Gauge!

I've never understood this argument - would you rather be potentially dead or serve jail time because some jury thought you used excessive force defending your life?

If I ever feel the need to defend myself or my family, there's hardly any firearm that's overkill wrt stopping the threat!

And that's not some sort of bravado or threat - it's simply fact. I'd rather have a semi-automatic rifle / shotgun than a handgun, regardless of my training level.

Clarification on dummy round:

With a pump shotgun, in the field, loaded magazine, round chambered...the only way to empty the chamber is to eject the entire magazine until empty...or use a dummy load and pump once. Chamber is now clear, with dummy load, magazine still loaded.

Clear now?

Edited by ttocswob
Clarification on dummy round:

With a pump shotgun, in the field, loaded magazine, round chambered...the only way to empty the chamber is to eject the entire magazine until empty...or use a dummy load and pump once. Chamber is now clear, with dummy load, magazine still loaded.

Clear now?

Why not just leave the chamber clear with the magazine loaded?

Take a soft gun case, cut off the handles, and screw it to the rear shelf in front of the deck speakers...this is the area under your REAR WINDOW, then you can transport your long arm in the trunk undiscovered by people who glance in or are looking to steal stuff. I guarantee there have been cases people have wanted/needed a long arm, there was some college shooting where the police actually asked for the citizens help...a long time ago I think, Also zombie's are always a problem. I personally have a scoped lever 30/30 in a sleeve.

Guest Revelator

I agree with wjh that for everyday urban excursions, I would not keep one in my car. But for trips to the country I'd be bringing one along.

And as others have said, if it's a crisis situation here in the city I'd keep one with me. The earthquake scenario is a good example. I was in high school in Savannah, GA when the Rodney King verdicts came out. I remember things were a wee bit tense that week. If that were to happen again, here in Memphis...yeah I might take something bigger than a handgun around with me.

I recently got a folding Kel Tec rifle that takes the same mags as my Beretta pistol. There are a lot of situations where having this combination could be really useful. I'm actually thinking about just keeping the Kel Tec in my office. The building is very secure, I'm self-employed so there's no one who can tell me no, and it might be a good idea in an emergency because I work in downtown Memphis about 30 miles from home.

Guest cjames38464

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

I think this law will benefit hunters with HCP's more than anyone...I never unload until I am at the house reguardless, but now I will at least be legal to practice this method...It is annoying as can be to unload when you come out of the woods only planning to change location or get lunch and unload just to head down the road a few miles...:)

I've never understood this argument - would you rather be potentially dead or serve jail time because some jury thought you used excessive force defending your life?

If I ever feel the need to defend myself or my family, there's hardly any firearm that's overkill wrt stopping the threat!

And that's not some sort of bravado or threat - it's simply fact. I'd rather have a semi-automatic rifle / shotgun than a handgun, regardless of my training level.

If you can get to your car, unlock your trunk and take a shotgun/rifle from a locked container or rack (the only responsible way to leave a weapon in the car) why not just unlock your door and drive away? The purpose here is to save your life, not start WWIII in Shelby County. Also, the law never intended that we were to replace our handguns with long arms as primary guns for self defense. This was not"let's go out and form our own Army" legislation. We are feeding into the anti-gun faction's meanest propaganda, that we are " A private army out to get the public."

Those who see real need to engage in open battles at Walmart with ARs need to go see their Army recruiters and put this drive to good use.

I can already see problems starting with this law, one that could cost us in the end.

Can someone clarify the new law for me? I thought the change to the law is to allow long guns to be in the vehicle along with ammo that is not in the gun. That is to say, the long gun cannot be loaded at all.

FYI: I always unloaded my long guns when putting them in the car as a safety habit to avoid a live round firing due to possibility of the gun being jarred in the vehicle. Just like when you cross fences in the field when you are by yourself crossing the fence.

I would not want to leave a gun in the vehicle or even in a locked trunk for SHTF. Most vehicles have trunk releases inside the car that most people have enabled and if you have kids, that can impose additional concerns.

Edited by threeshot
grammar errors
Guest SUNTZU
If you can get to your car, unlock your trunk and take a shotgun/rifle from a locked container or rack (the only responsible way to leave a weapon in the car) why not just unlock your door and drive away? The purpose here is to save your life, not start WWIII in Shelby County. Also, the law never intended that we were to replace our handguns with long arms as primary guns for self defense. This was not"let's go out and form our own Army" legislation. We are feeding into the anti-gun faction's meanest propaganda, that we are " A private army out to get the public."

Those who see real need to engage in open battles at Walmart with ARs need to go see their Army recruiters and put this drive to good use.

I can already see problems starting with this law, one that could cost us in the end.

If you can avoid a situation, you should avoid it. If someone goes and gets a long gun out of the vehicle in a self defense situation will, in my opinion, be found in the wrong in most cases, as they could just as easily removed themselves from the situtation.

That said, I still like the law. I want to be able to carry a rifle or shotgun as I please. If the need arises, it will be there. I'm not going to turn into Judge Dredd, though.

It sounds to me that you have problems with this law and want it removed, wjh2657. Why?

Hey! are you saying the nuts dont join the marines?

:2cents:

Why not just leave the chamber clear with the magazine loaded?

Of course you can. I was speaking specifically of transitioning from "round in chamber" to "no round in chamber" without having to empty the entire tube.

And how does that make you "legal"?

A dummy load is not "ammunition in the chamber": hence is legal to carry in your vehicle under HB0390.

Since I'm too lazy to rack my shotgun any more than necessary, I'm also too lazy to explain the concept any further. I understand it; you figure it out.

If you can get to your car, unlock your trunk and take a shotgun/rifle from a locked container or rack (the only responsible way to leave a weapon in the car) why not just unlock your door and drive away?

There are a myriad of hypothetical situations where you'd not be able to jump in your vehicle and drive - I'm sure you can think of a few.

The purpose here is to save your life, not start WWIII in Shelby County. Also, the law never intended that we were to replace our handguns with long arms as primary guns for self defense. This was not"let's go out and form our own Army" legislation. We are feeding into the anti-gun faction's meanest propaganda, that we are " A private army out to get the public."

Wow, talk about a textbook straw-man argument!

No one is suggesting anything of the sort - you sound like a knee-jerk reacting liberal. I'm simply saying that if I need to defend myself or my family and I have the ability to lay my hands on a long gun, I'd prefer that over a hand gun.

Is it really that hard to understand? Do you really think we're going to see HCP holders getting into shootouts with rifles due to this law with 'allows' us to do what we should be able to legally do anyway?

Of course you can. I was speaking specifically of transitioning from "round in chamber" to "no round in chamber" without having to empty the entire tube.

I can't imagine a situation where that would be necessary unless you were trying to carry the shotgun illegally.

A dummy load is not "ammunition in the chamber": hence is legal to carry in your vehicle under HB0390.

Since I'm too lazy to rack my shotgun any more than necessary, I'm also too lazy to explain the concept any further. I understand it; you figure it out.

I guess I'm just too slow to keep up with you. Thank you for gracing us with your time!

Guest truthsayer

Easy there, scooter. Let's keep the PSH to a minimum. You're starting to get carried away. My plans for my own Army are kept under the strictest OpSec and in no way involve the one C&R rifle I keep hidden in my truck.

{/Sarcasm}

In addition, the passage of this new law does nothing more than the passage of the HCP legislation when it comes to my wanting to start a war in Shelby County.

When you've cleaned your britches and have stopped pandering to the liberals, give me a call and I'll buy you lunch so we can talk.

If you can avoid a situation, you should avoid it. If someone goes and gets a long gun out of the vehicle in a self defense situation will, in my opinion, be found in the wrong in most cases, as they could just as easily removed themselves from the situtation.

That said, I still like the law. I want to be able to carry a rifle or shotgun as I please. If the need arises, it will be there. I'm not going to turn into Judge Dredd, though.

It sounds to me that you have problems with this law and want it removed, wjh2657. Why?

Nope, don't want law removed. just don't want to see it misused. I am not real happy about people who want to conduct AR15 firefights in Walmart parking lots with my wife and grandkids going there. Like I stated, I will probably use the law to throw my Mossy 500 in the trunk on my jaunts out into he countryside. It could be a handy law, but it does jhave a dark side to it.

As far as my being a Liberal, I am a free market Conservative and have voted Republican in the last several elections. I just don't subscribe to the current thought that you have to be ultra right to like Republican candidates. If not wanting to kill innocent people, better known as sheeple, is a purely "liberal" sentiment, as it seems to be in these forums, than I may have to rethink that Conservative label. I know I will get some nasty reaction to this, it is okay to really slander anybody who thinks different than Conservative, but GOD help the poor soul that intimates that it may not be a good thing to go too far right. I am and always will be a moderate.

Too far in either political direction leads to the old Nazis vs Reds environment.

To answer the question: I supported the law, but I didn't think at the time that it was meant to change our permits to Open Carry of loaded Assault Rifles into public places. if that is what the law is, then I may very well be in error.