Why a truck gun?

Superman

Nope, don't want law removed. just don't want to see it misused. I am not real happy about people who want to conduct AR15 firefights in Walmart parking lots with my wife and grandkids going there. Like I stated, I will probably use the law to throw my Mossy 500 in the trunk on my jaunts out into he countryside. It could be a handy law, but it does jhave a dark side to it.

As far as my being a Liberal, I am a free market Conservative and have voted Republican in the last several elections. I just don't subscribe to the current thought that you have to be ultra right to like Republican candidates. If not wanting to kill innocent people, better known as sheeple, is a purely "liberal" sentiment, as it seems to be in these forums, than I may have to rethink that Conservative label. I know I will get some nasty reaction to this, it is okay to really slander anybody who thinks different than Conservative, but GOD help the poor soul that intimates that it may not be a good thing to go too far right. I am and always will be a moderate.

Too far in either political direction leads to the old Nazis vs Reds environment.

To answer the question: I supported the law, but I didn't think at the time that it was meant to change our permits to Open Carry of loaded Assault Rifles into public places. if that is what the law is, then I may very well be in error.

Wow, just wow. For a conservative (I'm no republican, either) you certainly can parrot the Brady bunch pretty well.

Are we to believe that NOW, HCP holders will be come irresponsible and start shooting all over the place? This law suddenly makes all of us hot-heads looking to get into gun fights? Are your loved ones currently terrified of all the big bad HCP holders walking around LOADED HANDGUNS?!?!?!

I can't believe a conservative minded person wouldn't be able to stop and read what you just wrote and not see it for what it is - nanny-state, knee-jerk, emotional liberalism.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie
I am not real happy about people who want to conduct AR15 firefights in Walmart parking lots with my wife and grandkids going there.

So you prefer they conduct their firefights with handguns then?

Personally, I'd rather they - whoever "they" are - just skip the gun fights altogether.

One way or the other, I just don't see how being able to carry a long gun in one's vehicle is apt to make a person more likely to engage in such foolishness than carrying a gun on their person is though... And there certainly hasn't been any over-abundance of parking lot shootouts by HCP'ers since they started being issued, despite the bliss-ninny's claims that there would be.

So in the end, I guess I just don't see any logic behind your trepidation over this new law, since what you seem to be worried about should've happened long ago, if it were going to. :2cents:

Guest jimdigriz
So in the end, I guess I just don't see any logic behind your trepidation over this new law, since what you seem to be worried about should've happened long ago, if it were going to.

Other states have had similar laws for quite a while. Have there been _any_ violent shoot-outs obviously attributable to their adoption?

Can someone clarify the new law for me? I thought the change to the law is to allow long guns to be in the vehicle along with ammo that is not in the gun. That is to say, the long gun cannot be loaded at all....

No.

You can have gun loaded, but no shell in the CHAMBER.

Meaning, with tube or magazine fed rifles/shotguns, tube/mag can be loaded, mag can be in the weapon, etc.

Just no shell racked into the chamber.

The only long weapons that saw no difference in application of the law would be single shot rifles/shotguns, or double barrel shotguns, since the only place for shells to be are in the chamber.

- OS

..I was speaking specifically of transitioning from "round in chamber" to "no round in chamber" without having to empty the entire tube....

I can go from round in chamber with my 870 to no round in chamber by only racking once. The round in chamber is ejected and the next round about to be chambered can simply be dropped out by tilting the gun to the side before racking forward. The rest of the shells stay in the tube.

- OS

Guest Gun Geek

I have to agree with the others - its a because we want to and because it is my right to - is why. I cant think of a situation I would need one in an urban area, but the thought goes better have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As for me I live in the mountains - who knows what kind of kritter I am going to meet any day on my way home or as I am unloading the trunk/back of truck.

As far as AR-15 shootouts in a walmart parking lot... come on now are you serious, you are actually concerned about this? based on what rational thought or factual circumstance/senario do you draw your fear from? There are two types of fears in this world, learned fear or natural fear. I dont get your entire argument anyway. And tend to agree with the others that is sounds like Brady Bunch BS.

Of course you can. I was speaking specifically of transitioning from "round in chamber" to "no round in chamber" without having to empty the entire tube.

A dummy load is not "ammunition in the chamber": hence is legal to carry in your vehicle under HB0390.

Since I'm too lazy to rack my shotgun any more than necessary, I'm also too lazy to explain the concept any further. I understand it; you figure it out.

I was just confused as to why the dummy round...

You could just load the tube and not rack it and not have to worry about a dummy load.

It just semantics now... no sense arguing over it.

Mike & Oh Shoot, you are abso-rightly-loot! Just that the dummy round idea works for me. My 870 sometimes hangs up in the receiver; maybe it's my technique. :hat:

Just to be completely clear, I am NOT advocating anything ILLEGAL! :cop:

And to everyone, my profound apology for the hijack. I'll try to keep my dumb ideas to myself. :P

I just can't understand how a gun in the truck thread turned into a shootout at Walmart. That's a far reach that takes some real imagination. People are driving (poorly) deadly weapons (vehicles) in the Walmart parking lot everyday. I'm more concerned about some DA running me over while going the wrong way (see it every visit) against the arrows and traffic flow. I'm sure MOST of you have heard this before but....guns don't kill people...etc.

wjh2657- I don't understand any of this. You sound just like the anti-gunners. HCP holders aren't going to shoot-up the Walmart parking lot with ARs or AKs. This is a non-issue because it's just not going to happen. Just like we're not going to have drunks engaging in shootouts at O'Charleys. People that think like this are insane.

the one thing that I really want to know is how many of you that say you shouldn't leave your handgun in your car because it might get stolen, are going to keep a loaded long gun in their car?

i have never said you shouldnt leave yor handgun in your car because i firmly believe that it is wise to have 1 if not 2 handguns loaded in your car at all times. and being able to legally have a loaded shotgun and/or rifle is a tremendous bonus.

me personally, i cant see needing one for a self-defense situation unless the rapid breakdown on society has begun and there is no law enforcement, only martial law(maybe) but probably not. most will carryit either because they simply want to (and that is PLENTY of reason to do it) or they live or travel to a rural setting frequently and it could possibly come in handy for whatever reason.

or maybe you are a vigilante soldier looking for a battlefield, you ever think of THAT?! [/sarcasm]

wjh2657- I don't understand any of this. You sound just like the anti-gunners. HCP holders aren't going to shoot-up the Walmart parking lot with ARs or AKs. This is a non-issue because it's just not going to happen. Just like we're not going to have drunks engaging in shootouts at O'Charleys. People that think like this are insane.

the one thing that I really want to know is how many of you that say you shouldn't leave your handgun in your car because it might get stolen, are going to keep a loaded long gun in their car?

I apologize for any misunderstanding. My point was addressed to those who stated that the long gun, in particular, Assault Rifles were their primary self defense arm and handgun was just to get to the long gun. The law was meant to give us the right to carry a handgun to defend ourselves. I got side-tracked and lost point of my own post!

The second part of your post is actually the question I was trying to ask. I do put my handgun in a car safe when I go into places I can't carry gun and I have been told repeatedly in posts that this is a dumb thing to do. If it isn't safe to leave a handgun in a Car Safe in the trunk, why is it suddenly such a good idea to leave a long gun in the same trunk?

Guest Jamie
The law was meant to give us the right to carry a handgun to defend ourselves.

Seems to me the law is recognizing our right to defend ourselves with whatever we deem appropriate... which is as it should be.

Still, I doubt most people would care less if the bullet that hit's 'em is one of a batch of 9mm that got sprayed at someone else, or a .223, or buckshot...

Anyway, the point here is that none of those items are really any more or less dangerous than the other, and it's entirely the user's behavior that determines the risk to by-standers.

And so far, at least, most of the users with a permit have demonstrated pretty good behavior and judgment, no matter what they've been using.

Wjh, I think I see where you're going with this. But I think you may have misunderstood the posts regarding a long arm as the primary defense weapon. Given the choice, would you rather defend yourself with a handgun, or a rifle? I would choose the rifle, due to a better sight radius and more stability, which leads to a better chance of hitting my target, and only my target, on the first shot. I doubt anyone will be open carrying an AR to WalMart.

I like the bill. I live on a fair amount of property, and in the last two years have had to deal with a few timber rattlers, copperheads, and coyotes. I usually throw my M1 Carbine in the truck/ on the tractor with me. Formerly, that was illegal unless I kept the box magazine unloaded. Now, I can legally put the loaded magazine in the rifle, so long as no round is chambered. I think that was the purpose of the bill, not so I could OC my rifle through Kroger just in case the world ended, and I think most folks understand that.

Some folks will see a need to keep a long gun in their vehicle. I don't. Under different circumstances I might, but living where I do and going where I go my basic risk assesment doesn't lean toward needing one. This bill allows those who do feel a need to do so. I don't see how allowing us to excercise our rights more is a bad thing.

Guest GunTroll
..... I don't see how allowing us to excercise our rights more is a bad thing.

Well said.

I don't even live in TN yet (moving there in AUG) but find this debate/thread interesting. You'll have to forgive me but what is now allowed and what is the change from the way the law use to be? I have somewhat pieced it together but would like clarification.

Thanks

Well said.

I don't even live in TN yet (moving there in AUG) but find this debate/thread interesting. You'll have to forgive me but what is now allowed and what is the change from the way the law use to be? I have somewhat pieced it together but would like clarification.

Thanks

Before new law: long guns must be unloaded, ammo not in "immediate vicinity" of gun. Same for anyone, resident, non-resident, having HCP no different.

After new law: HCP holders may have loaded long guns in vehicle, or of course, ammo right there with gun. Although no shell in chamber. I assume that non-residents with carry permit that TN honors are allowed to do this also, although that's not mentioned in the statute.

- OS

Guest tedbo

I like the law as it is now. I like having my rifle or shotgun(haven't decided which,yet)in my vehicle as I come down my looooong driveway.

Me and the neighbors have had to deal with an ex-neighbor who got himself arrested for criminal tresspass. He has been known(by his ex-wife and their kids)to abuse his prescription meds and alcohol at the same time. I have not ever seen it personally but I have seen the terror in their eyes.

I have been in the position to really consider defending myself and some other people that were at my home at the time he was being of a less than stellar character.

I want to be able to have a long gun in my vehicle in case he or anyone else is at my home when I'm not.

This person had access to a shotgun and .243 rifle.

I want to keep the odds more in my favor.

Now, wouldn't this be a durn good reason to have something in your truck other than a handgun?

I live in a great neighborhood and gangbangers aren't the problem(yet!).

Luckily I was at home when this idiot came calling. What if he got here before me?

Doesn't it make more sense to give yourself the best odds in this kind of situation?

Ohhh. and there be Zombies!!:)

rollfloor.gif You guys have got to be kidding me. We just passed legislation that allows people to carry guns into bars. smilielol5.gif

Yes, I want to be able to carry a loaded rifle in my car or truck. I have absolutely no more concerns about having that in my vehicle than any other valuable item. If someone gets their hands on it they will have to commit a felony (Auto burglary) to do it.

rollfloor.gif You guys have got to be kidding me. We just passed legislation that allows people to carry guns into bars. smilielol5.gif

Yes, I want to be able to carry a loaded rifle in my car or truck. I have absolutely no more concerns about having that in my vehicle than any other valuable item. If someone gets their hands on it they will have to commit a felony (Auto burglary) to do it.

I want to be able to walk with my loaded shotgun, one in the chamber, through a city park, and into a bar and have a few beers.

- OS