How do you sharpen your pocketknife?

I was wondering what everyone used to sharpen his or her pocketknife?

I use the old wet rock (Whetstone) with 3 in one oil. (30 mins a week)

I’m sure there is a better and or easier way

Also what’s the best way to hit those serrated blades?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what everyone used to sharpen his or her pocketknife?

I use the old wet rock (Whetstone) with 3 in one oil. (30 mins a week)

I’m sure there is a better and or easier way

Also what’s the best way to hit those serrated blades?

I bought a Lanskey sharpening kit many years ago and it is great. There is even a special stone for serrated edges.

Guest stovepipe

Sharpen? - What better excuse do you need to buy a new one?!? :)

I use a buffing wheel in a pinch. Careful not to over heat.

One of those v-shaped tools with preset steel(of some sort) blades. Stainless steel blades are cut on a steeper angle than carbon steel blades and these tools seem to be cut for stainless steel blades. This works best with modern stainless-type steel blades. A couple of strokes and I can shave with my knife - Benchmade and Case. Whet stones are too soft for stainless steel. For old-school carbon steel blades, I use a steel (Old Timer 340). Whet stones take too long, after all, where is the microwave?

One of those v-shaped tools with preset steel(of some sort) blades. Stainless steel blades are cut on a steeper angle than carbon steel blades and these tools seem to be cut for stainless steel blades. This works best with modern stainless-type steel blades. A couple of strokes and I can shave with my knife - Benchmade and Case. Whet stones are too soft for stainless steel. For old-school carbon steel blades, I use a steel (Old Timer 340). Whet stones take too long, after all, where is the microwave?

Yeah, I use one of those cheapie v-shaped things, but follow with diamond triangle shaped rod. The rod edge can be used on serrations, too.

Agree that a nice old whetstone just doesn't "cut" it for stainless blades of any kind. My two main ones are AUS8A and VG-1 stainless.

- OS

• Admin Team

Spyderco Tri-angle sharpener. Got the ultra-fine rods along with the medium and fine that came with it. Gets my knives wickedly sharp in about a minute. I can put a finer edge on with a set of stones or my Lanskys, but the Spyderco rods beveled at 20 degrees make a more durable edge - especially if you grind a back bevel first.

I've gone back to a plain edge after using fully serrated and combo edges. Serrated edges have their place. I think the combo edges are a fad that we are likely to see fade a bit. The tri-angle sharpener does a good job on serrations if you have them.

I have a Arkansas stone got back in the 80's. i can get anything shaving in about a min. sometimes it will take 5 min if someone messed up the blade. This old man i hunted with showed me the art. The only time you should use oil on a stone is to clean it not to sharpen.

Guest MERRILL

My pocket knife is a Gerber and has a stainless blade. That thing laughs at whetstones. I use a water cooled grinding wheel for the initial sharpening and I use an arkansas stone for the final edge followed by stropping with a leather strap.