reloading vs. buying commercial ammo

Guest justme

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reloading is cheaper, especially at today's commercial prices.

Cost for reloading depends on the cost of the components, some of which are getting scarce. The cost of primers has gone up considerably and the supply is very low. The cost for powder and bullets has increased slightly, but not as much as the primers. A lot of people consider the cost of brass as zero since you can reuse the brass that you purchased as new ammo or you can pick up brass at the range.

Lately, I haven't figured the cost of my reloads, but when I did last year, 9mm and .38spls were roughly $6.00 per 50. So today if the component costs have increased on average 25%, you're still looking at $7.50 per 50. That's just for the components and not the initial cost of equipment. Also, if you factor in your time involved, that's a whole different story.

If you have the time, reload. If you don't have a lot of time, then commercial may work out cheaper (but I doubt it).

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
typo
Reloading is cheaper, especially at today's commercial prices.

Cost for reloading depends on the cost of the components, some of which are getting scarce. The cost of primers has gone up considerably and the supply is very low. The cost for powder and bullets has increased slightly, but not as much as the primers. A lot of people consider the cost of brass as zero since you can reuse the brass that you purchased as bew ammo or you can pick up brass at the range.

Lately, I haven't figured the cost of my reloads, but when I did last year, 9mm and .38spls were roughly $6.00 per 50. So today if the component costs have increased on average 25%, you're still looking at $7.50 per 50. That's just for the components and not the initial cost of equipment. Also, if you factor in your time involved, that's a whole different story.

If you have the time, reload. If you don't have a lot of time, then commercial may work out cheaper (but I doubt it).

Great answer. there's no question that reloading is cheaper. You can also taylor your loads to what you want to do -- heavy or light -- any type bullet, etc.

If your time is limited; i would recommend a progressive press; but you need a real buddy to help you thru load selection, initial set up, and use. Most people blow themselves up with pistol ammo loaded with fast powders on progressive reloading machines. We have a dillon xl650 (we bought ours used with tons of dies and caliber conversion kits ) that we can easily load about 400 rounds thru in 1 1/2 to 2 hours (i tend to piddle and verify too much). Others can do much better.

Hope this helps.

LEROY

Guest mudduck

well i did ask the same question and it is cheaper to reload and i dont have to go looking for the ammo,it cost be about $7.50 per 50,and i can make them hotter than factory loads,or use hollow point bullets to just practice with,i takes some time but i enjoy doing it.

Depends on what you are reloading. Not just caliber but how good you want your reloads to be. Reloading pistol calibers with lead bullets and low powder loads can be very inexpensive but going with a very good load can up the price. You can make some very good ammo for less than factory stuff.

When I was looking into it, I couldn't really beat the price of plinking 9mm and since I can't just buy the bullets of the HP I wanted it made more sense to just get my practice stuff at Walmart. I think it would have saved me a cent or two a round reloading. Now that I finally got my 6.8 AR build up I will definitely start loading for that and 9mm now that the cost is spread out. I guess my point is on 9mm or say .22 it's hard to justify buying all the equipment to not really save anything for a long time. With .40 and up or specialty stuff it makes a whole lot more sense.

When I was looking into it, I couldn't really beat the price of plinking 9mm and since I can't just buy the bullets of the HP I wanted it made more sense to just get my practice stuff at Walmart. I think it would have saved me a cent or two a round reloading. Now that I finally got my 6.8 AR build up I will definitely start loading for that and 9mm now that the cost is spread out. I guess my point is on 9mm or say .22 it's hard to justify buying all the equipment to not really save anything for a long time. With .40 and up or specialty stuff it makes a whole lot more sense.

oh contrare, if plinking ammo is what you are looking to save on, become a range hound and collect all the brass you can. reload with lead bullets and low powder portions. Even at Wally's BB cost $10.00 with tax for 50. I can reload for half that using the above stated stuff. i've calcuted my cost on 9mm plinkers to just about $5.00/box of 50. plus, the hobby factor comes into play. But, I have purchased an inexpensive single stage press just in case I get bored with it, that way I don't have much money invested. 22 loads, no way will I load those. 7.69 x 39mm, absolutely. BTW, you can load some good HP loads as well for almost half. IMHO, reloading makes sense....

So what would a basic reloading rig cost? Lets say everything you need to reload for 9mm.

Cabela's has the Lee Deluxe Turret Press kit for $109.00 plus shipping. A set of dies will add about $35.00. You will also need a set of calipers (I already had a set, so not sure on cost). Technically, you can reload like that, but you'll need to upgrade and add a few items to make it less of a pain in the rear. A powder trickler will be about $15.00, you'll need one. You can use the little scoop that comes with the die set, but it'll take a long, frustrating time to measure out a charge on the included scale that way. You'll also need loading books, the more the better. The Hornady book was about $35.00 when I bought mine. You'll want to buy a tumbler also, to clean yor brass. I think they're around $60.00, but shop around.

You can reload like that, but it won't be a speedy process. At some point, you'll want to add a case trimmer. The Lee kit comes with part of a case trimmer, but you need to buy the caliber- specific bits to fit it. You can prime your brass on the Lee Turret press, but you may want to add a Lee hand priming tool.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but if so someone will point it out shortly. I'd allow for $250.00- 300.00 for start up stuff, depending on what specific stuff you buy, shopping around, having to buy components, etc...

The bigger the boom...the more the savings....it is entirely possible, if you have picked up/saved the brass over time, use pulled milsurp and work up a good load...to load 1000 rounds of .223 for under $150

you could throw in a lee challenger set and everything you need to get started and still come up spending less than 1000 rounds of surplus ammo

That is a LOT of shooting for cheap.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, I'm still loading .223 for about .15-.16 using commercial powder and a semi-decent bullet at that. .223 is still the econo-miser round of choice, imo.