Got pulled over today

Guest looneeetunes

Guest looneeetunes

well i got pulled over today for an expired tag. expired in may of 09. i have three vehicles and and just reregistered one of them and this one slipped by me. (lame excuse huh? but really the case)

officer pulled me over i imediately got my billfold, got my license and hcp and had them ready for the officer when i got there. he asked if i had my weapon with me i said yes. he asked me where it was, i said on my hip. he then asked what kind is it, and i said 45. now i dont mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, because he was very polite and i was also, and he let me off with a warning ticket, and i got my sticker after work. but is it uncommon to ask what kind? i am a least info as possible type of guy not really all that into telling strangers what i am packing. i know an officer is diffrent, and i dont what to make a big deal out of this, just struck me as odd.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Similar experience for me in Sumner Co. I informed the officer voluntarily that "I had a citizen carry permit, and I am armed. What would you like for me to do?" You know the drill. The officer asked me where it was (hip). He said to just leave it there. He too asked what kind it was. He was a fan of the XD, and had one himself. He thanked me for telling him I had the weapon and stated he thought everyone who could legally carry...ought to do so. He was cool about it.

Then he handed me the $130 ticket.

Jerk. :lol:

Guest looneeetunes

well i was in a hurry, and was trying to get to work. i didnt have time to chat,and maybe that was why he was asking.(because he was interested in guns) but the whole time he was taking, what i call the policemans stance, you know what i mean standing behind my door just enough that i had to look back. he seemed on the defensive when he asked. and i understand that he doesnt know me, and i just made him aware that i have a gun. i dont fault this guy at all. i just wondered what some ex leo's might say about that. to me it seemed like he was asking to find out what he was up against. and if that was the reason i could also totally understand. it was just food for thought for me after the fact in hind sight.

Guest clsutton21
If your answer had been "P22" or "HiPoint" I'm guessing you would have gotten a lecture.

Or if you would have told him you were carrying the .600 Nitro Express Magnum. :hat:

Guest go-vols

He just wanted to know what he might be up against. But more than likely just curious. I know when I talk to fellow permit holder for the first time I ask the same question.

Guest SUNTZU

When he asked make and model you should have screamed, "There's nothing in the trunk!" He was probably making conversation and reading you at the same time. He must have thought you were okay since he let you off with a warning. I'd be doing cartwheels, Farley style.

If I pull someone over and they tell me they are carrying I am usually curious as to what they are carrying. Usually just something to keep the conversation going to get a read on the person and see how I am going to proceded with the stop.

Guest clsutton21

I know a few cops that when they pull you over and ask for your license, proceed to ask if you are carrying any hand grenades, bazookas, or illegal pets. If you don't laugh or at least smile, they know you may have something to hide.

Edited by clsutton21
  • Moderators
I know a few cops that when they pull you over and ask for your license, proceed to ask if you are carrying and hand grenades, bazookas, or illegal pets. If you don't laugh or at least smile, they know you may have something to hide.

I've gotten that question quite a few times (got a lead foot:shrug:)

Guest FlyntG

Got pulled over in Nashville, I got the feeling he let me go because he liked my G21.

Got pulled over again in Millersville. Cop liked my 21, told me to trash the beretta and gave me a ticket. No chance getting away with a warning in that town!

Guest GimpyLeg
From post on this board, I would say it is not un-common.

I also figure it is a way to help judge your demeanor as well.

I agree. By engaging you in conversation, I would assume he was utilizing his training to see if you were setting off any red flags.

Guest kerstuff

He was practicing what he has learned in training. You have to remember of course that they should be wary in today's world. Let's not forget the THP that was blown away by the POS illegal. Of course he was engaging in conversation because that puts the citizen @ ease. I'm afraid I'd crack up at the bazooka & illegal pet question!!!:D

Guest canynracer

jeez...he wanted to know what you were carrying. nothing more. thats all.....no hidden agenda...

if you were that curious, why didnt you ask him?

Guest looneeetunes
jeez...he wanted to know what you were carrying. nothing more. thats all.....no hidden agenda...

if you were that curious, why didnt you ask him?

there has been alot of bashing here about my comment. i never said he had a hidden agenda, nor did i imply he was doing anything wrong in asking. i was just intrigued why he asked and my first two posts i thought i made myself pretty darn clear of that. if you keep attacking members like that our group is going to dwendel. and this is even comming from a mod. and i am very happy he didnt give me a ticket and i have not bashed this guy once. again just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had a similiar experience and thanks for sharing to the guys who did respond.

Edited by looneeetunes
Guest canynracer
there has been alot of bashing here about my comment. i never said he had a hidden agenda, nor did i imply he was doing anything wrong in asking. i was just intrigued why he asked and my first two posts i thought i made myself pretty darn clear of that. if you keep attacking members like that our group is going to dwendel. and this is even comming from a mod. and i am very happy he didnt give me a ticket and i have not bashed this guy once. again just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had a similiar experience and thanks for sharing to the guys who did respond.

OK, for one...the response wasnt toward you only...there is a lot of "he was reading you" or whatever...I found it funny, and I am sure my humor got lost in the text..but for what its worth, I was smiling when I typed it.. it CERTAINLY wasnt an "Attack" on any member...I quoted no one.

the "If you were curious why didnt you ask him?" WAS directed to you, it wasnt mean, it was a serious question..I have inquired as to why a certain question was asked before...course I ask it after the business is conducted...

for two, my being a mod has nothing to do with my response. its funny how we are not aloud to respond with our opinions because I am a mod.

Edited by canynracer

He was standing back from your door because it's an officer safety issue and that's what he was trained to do. When I pull someone over I stand back from the window a bit too.

I read all the posts here and, maybe it's just me, but I don't see anyone really bashing you. Neither do I see you bashing the officer or complaining about the stop. You were just curious about your experience and wanted to ask others about it. That's one way we get information, after all.

Now, back to your original point, the officer didn't find your illegal pets in the back seat (are strippers illegal pets?) or your trunk load of human heads, so he must've thought you were OK.:drama:

Seriously though, I've lost track of the number of traffic stops I've made where I've been shown an HCP, asked if they had it with them, and what make-finish-style-caliber-etc. it was. Most of the time we've engaged in a good conversation about said item, and the driver was sent away without a ticket. Usually with the driver having learned something about guns they didn't know, or with me having learned something.

Most of us ossifers out here are also gun enthusiasts (gun lovers, gun nuts) and we enjoy talking about them with other people who enjoy them. So, in answer to your question, it's not uncommon, depending on which officer you run into. Hope that helps.

Guest clsutton21
OK, for one...the response wasnt toward you only...there is a lot of "he was reading you" or whatever...I found it funny, and I am sure my humor got lost in the text..but for what its worth, I was smiling when I typed it.. it CERTAINLY wasnt an "Attack" on any member...I quoted no one.

the "If you were curious why didnt you ask him?" WAS directed to you, it wasnt mean, it was a serious question..I have inquired as to why a certain question was asked before...course I ask it after the business is conducted...

for two, my being a mod has nothing to do with my response. its funny how we are not aloud to respond with our opinions because I am a mod.

shh...you mods are not real people! :drama:

Guest db99wj
He was standing back from your door because it's an officer safety issue and that's what he was trained to do. When I pull someone over I stand back from the window a bit too.

I read all the posts here and, maybe it's just me, but I don't see anyone really bashing you. Neither do I see you bashing the officer or complaining about the stop. You were just curious about your experience and wanted to ask others about it. That's one way we get information, after all.

Now, back to your original point, the officer didn't find your illegal pets in the back seat (are strippers illegal pets?) or your trunk load of human heads, so he must've thought you were OK.;)

Seriously though, I've lost track of the number of traffic stops I've made where I've been shown an HCP, asked if they had it with them, and what make-finish-style-caliber-etc. it was. Most of the time we've engaged in a good conversation about said item, and the driver was sent away without a ticket. Usually with the driver having learned something about guns they didn't know, or with me having learned something.

Most of us ossifers out here are also gun enthusiasts (gun lovers, gun nuts) and we enjoy talking about them with other people who enjoy them. So, in answer to your question, it's not uncommon, depending on which officer you run into. Hope that helps.

Hope I get pulled over by you one day.........oh, wait.....no.:up:

Wouldn't mind the conversation part, but hopefully I won't give you a reason to pull me over....does that make sense?:):P:D