A matter of preference? XD vs XDM, 9mm vs .40

Guest foister82

Guest foister82

So, im gonna be placing one of these on layaway later this week. I have narrowed it down to one of these specific pistols for my next purchase and i have some questions for those who may have owned both.

Is the accuracy of the xdm that much better than the xd? Ive heard that with the match grade barrel, my accuracy will be next to none with the xdm. Shooting the XDM .40, i was very accurate with it at the range at 15 yards. Ive never shot an xd.

price difference. is it worth the extra money to go with the xdm over the xd due to performance upgrades? XDM is being marked "gun of the year" by a certain magazine, and while i do prefer quality over cost (due to the fact that it will be a layaway purchase) do you feel it's worth the extra $.

Concealed carry issues. Now i know that the full size XD and XDM are not the hallmark for concealed weapons. I do know however that they can be concealed with the right wear. Between the two guns and caliburs, which would you go with if you HAD to choose between the two.

Last question is in regard to calibur. I have shot an xdm 40 on several occasions and love it, however i have been directed by several people that i need to go with the 9mm due to the fact that ive only been shooting semi autos for about a year and need to "ween off the bottle slowly." Ive been told this by people at gun shops, range, and online. I don't feel that the difference matters that much as far as target shooting but some have other opinions. I know that 9mm ammo is cheaper (although i can never find 9mm at walmart :eek:) but i guess the biggest question is in the title of this thread.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'd definately get the XDM over the standard XD for some of the reasons you've stated; match grade barrel, interchangeable grip inserts, and a kick a$$ case that's as big as a briefcase....well that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it does come packed with XD Gear goodies.

As far as caliber's go, it all depends on if you'd rather have more 9mm bullets in your gun or less .40 S&W bullets but more of a "knock-down" factor. I owned the .40 S&W version and loved it, so I'd recommend that. It'd be a better home defense round as well.

Regarding "weening" off? That sounds kinda silly, there's not that much recoil difference b/t a 9mm and a .40 S&W. Nothing against 9mm, have several 9mm guns, but in the XDM line, go ahead and get the .40.

Edited by JHatmaker

I'd go with the XDm 9mm. i just like the round better than the .40. As far as knock down power... if it doesn't knock you down when you shoot it, it's not going to know the other guy down. I like the cost, efficiency, and sheer round count in the XDm.

I bought XD SC 9 to carry...liked it so well, decided to get another service sized XD 9 for general addition to arsenal.

I didn't see the additional cost of XDM did much for my purposes, so just got the XD 9 service model.

The SC is MUCH easier for me to conceal than the Service, let alone the M. All due to size of grip.

YMMV.

- OS

Guest grimel

I'd buy the 4" XD9. I'd then take the remainder of the $$ I saved over the XDm and buy 2-4 mags and ammo. If I HAD to have the most concealable setup, I'd scratch the ammo and have the grip chopped to sub compact dimensions and buy a 13rd flush fit mag for EDC and a few sleeved mags for practice/home duty and carry 16rd mags for reloads.

Thats just me.

Guest abailey362

one thing to consider is that the .40 can be changed to a 9mm with a $150 conversion barrel. can't go the other way.

one thing to invest in is new sights with either. One thing that springfield needs to do to truely make the xdm "match grade" is to put a TFO fiber font at least on it instead of the crappy painted on white dot it comes with

Just my :D but I prefer the .40 over 9mm. No rational reason behind it other than it's bigger and harder hitting. Is a bit snappier.

As far as XD vs. XDM goes, will the shooter be able to take advantage of a match grade barrel over regular production?

one thing to consider is that the .40 can be changed to a 9mm with a $150 conversion barrel. can't go the other way.

+1:D

XDm is A SUPER GUN!! Love mine, great feel, great shooting, but after a few months of carrying it just a little too large for comfortable daily carry in every situation.

Just got my XD SC LOVE IT TOO!! Great feel, super manageable recoil, and X-TREE easy to conceal. Shoots great. Depending on your situation easy choice.

Going to a match??? Need 16+1 capacity??? Got AWFULLY BAGGY CLOTHES??? XDm :cool:

If you want Xtreme reliability, concealibility, and 12+1 capacity will do the trick?? XD c or sc

.40 is VERY MANAGABLE even in the sc. NO COMPLAINTS HERE... Dont let ANYONE talk you out of .40 citing experience level.. NOT AN ISSUE!! Even if - when you get a .40 you got a 9mm. (Mag, drop in Barrel)

Visit XDtalk and see how many people wishin they'd got the .40 and had the option of three guns in 1!!!

(.40; 9mm; .357SIG)

As far as a glock, in my case - XD looks are SWEET, accessory rail, and the two words sold me on the XD... BACKSTRAP SAFETY!! :dirty:

xd40_1.jpgDSCI0488800x600-1.jpg

Edited by adamween
Guest TN_Mike

I myself like the XDM but, not as much as I thought I would when it first started showing up in the gun magazines and all. I don't care for the really aggressive "checkering" of the grip. I find it a little uncomfortable.

I own an XD .40 4 inch model and I love it. I much prefer the feel of the grip on the original and if that texture could be transfered to the XDM, I think it would be better for me.

Guest Micromancer

I'm a complete Glock whore, I won't bore you with the rhetoric you are already getting from some of the others here. But to the few that mentioned preferring .40 to 9mm for the added knock down factors - Deric Hoffman would like a word with you about the "stopping power of .40"

Police Report: Boy calls police to shooting site in East Memphis : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Deric Hoffman, A Real Hero ***Please Read*** - Honda-Tech

Shot Placement > caliber pure and simple. I hate to drag this link out, but TylerC moved to New Orleans and as such he might not be active here anymore. Apparently, Deric saved the life of that kid with 13 .40 holes in him. I am of the opinion this is because his attacker was not practicing good shot placement. The attacker's second mistake was using FMJ rounds instead of JHP - but even ball ammo can kill you if you actually hit vital organs.

... I hate to drag this link out, but TylerC moved to New Orleans and as such he might not be active here anymore. ...

Wow, TylerC is Derek Hoffman, then?

Sorry if this has already been around the horn on TGO; if so, I sure missed it.

- OS

Guest VolGrad

The XDm is a completely different animal than the XD. I have shot XDs on several occasions but was/am never a fan. I now own a XDm in 9mm and love it. It shoots great .. accurate and soft. The only down sides are long trigger pull and reset vs my Glocks and the larger overall size makes CC more difficult. It can be done, just more difficult. The XDm is well worth the extra money over a XD. Caliber is about preference. I prefer 9mm.

Guest foister82

I decided on the XDM .40 model after reviewing all options... this is one decision im glad i didnt rush. The good thing about the .40 is the conversion barrels that are getting better and better... i have a friend that recommended to try the 357sig conversion for some fun with 50 - 100 yard targets... I thought he was crazy, but played around with his 229 with .357 barrel and either the gun or the barrel were deadly accurate at crazy ranges

Guest jos2f

Grats on the XDM. Can't go wrong with an XD series pistol. Great value, excellent ergonomics and unbeatable value imo. Now that you have one, you can go back and get the other in a couple of months :P

Guest trigem

I have:

Glock 27 (40) With 9m extra barrel so I can practice with cheap ammo,

XD 9 Sub Compact

XDM 40

XD45

Love them all, All shoot great, won't sell any :hat:

You can't go wrong with any of them:koolaid:

• 2 months later...

:D

XD vs. XDM may be more determined by your planned use and capability to conceal. XDM is an enhanced weapon - but no subcompact available. My XD subcompact holds 16+1 for great capacity. Some of the XDM improvements can be made to the XD - especially trigger.

I was a Glock owner for quite awhile. But if Plaxico Burress had an XD vs. a Glock, he would still be making $10 million a year playing NFL football than sitting in prison. His accidental discharge would not have taken place.

As for caliber. I was a .45 guy for a long time. But new ammo and Gabe Suarez - someone who knows, convinced me otherwise. Here are a few of his comments:

GABE'S CALIBER CHOICE I get asked what I carry a lot. Recently we have gotten into quite a few discussions about my choice of calibers as well as why. Specially when they hear that it is a 9mm. So here goes --

1). 9mm holds more ammo and more ammo is a definite asset in a gunfight. I had a student that was attacked by three guys and his 1911 barely had enough. Another bad guy and he would have been screwed.

2). With modern ammo there is virtually no difference in performance in the typical CCW loads (9mm, 40, 45).

3). Ammo commonality and magazine commonality are a big issue. If you carry a 50 Auto +P+ and your dainty wife carries a mere 9mm you cannot support each other in the way that would be best.

4). Anyone who believes in the reliability of One Shot Stops with a pistol is an idiot that has never seen any action outside his daydreams.

Look gents, if it makes you feel better to carry a 45, do it. If you think that extra millimeter of size will help, then carry a 45. If you think you'd feel just fine at Mumbai with your 1911/45, then cool. Drive on. Its not my business to convice you otherwise.

Me? I have seen lots of people shot to be able to say this.

Choose based on shootability - ignore the caliber...can you manage the weapon's size in your hand, in daily carry? Then choose on capacity. More ammo is more better. You will NOT be dropping one man with one shot. It will be taking more. One man, no big deal. Two men, maybe not a big deal. Three men and your seven shots begin looking bad. Four men and you will be forced to reload. But not with a high capacity weapon. Caliber is the last consideration to me.

Anything in 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 45 ACP, 38 Sp. will work about the same. So CHOOSE WHAT YOU LIKE. As I said, mine is a Glock 17 with three magazines of Corbon DPX (and a couple of happy sticks thrown in).

Gabe Suarez

One Source Tactical

Suarez International USA

Christian Warrior Ministries

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to

send peace on earth: I came not to send peace,

but a sword.

...My XD subcompact holds 16+1 for great capacity....

To be fair, that's only with the extended mag. It holds max 13+1 with the flush mag. If you're going to carry the extended mag, it becomes same butt size of the service model, so you might as well carry that and get the more accurate 4" barrel, as the hardest thing to conceal is the gun butt near your butt.

- OS

One thing that springfield needs to do to truely make the xdm "match grade" is to put a TFO fiber font at least on it instead of the crappy painted on white dot it comes with

Couldn't agree more - I put TFOs on front and rear of my XDm9 (shout out to Jeff Walle and GnL for the great service) and greatly prefer them to the factory 3-dots. You really notice the difference when your target is in different light conditions than your gun, esp. shooting from low light at a brighter target.