XD9 grip safety vs glock 19

Guest momuzyk

Guest momuzyk

Hello, I'm new to the forums and guns as well & had a question? I've searched & wont even get into the glock vs xd debate....lol My question is for those who have owned a xd & a glock. Is the grip handle safety on the XD practical and worth it as I do have small kids in the house. That has me leaning towards the XD9 but other than that I am looking at glock 19 to wear concealed. This is a great forum by the way and a wealth of information. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I carry a Glock 19 concealed with no worries. Get training, even after/if you get your HCP, no matter what handgun you purchase. The pistol needs to fit you. My dad has an XD .45 that he got because he wanted the grip safety. If your kids can grasp the XD, then I would think the grip safety wouldn't matter. How old are your kids? Vigilance on control of the firearm at all times would be my concern.

I wouldn't consider the grip safety to be protection from a child discharging a firearm (if that is what you mean). Many have debated the usefullness of the grip safety. For me, I like it on my XD40. Is it safer? Who knows. What I do know is that it can't hurt and you never even know its there when shooting it. How ever you decide, I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor.

Have owned both, the lemon squeezer safety does not add or detract to the pistol for me.

Trying to decide on my next Glock now anyway so will have both again in the future.

(Bronker which Glock do we want? I'm pretty set on 10mm this time, just don't know if I want the compact or full size)

Guest dtandy

I have a XD9 compact and a XD45 compact. I purchased them because I like the idea of a grip safety and they felt good in my hand (plus, they are great shooters and have been rock solid reliable so far).

As far as the grip safety actually making the gun more kid safe??? Maybe but not much. I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old and, as a part of my efforts to teach my kids about gun safety, I've let both handle the empty XD9 to help take away the curiosity factor, introduce concepts such as muzzle awareness, finger off the trigger until ready to fire, etc.. Both of them can barely lift the gun but they have always held it in such a way as to depress the grip safety.

Since you do have kids in the house, your best bet is to be extremely careful about keeping your guns out of reach of the kids and to teach your kids gun safety as soon as they are old enough to understand. Make your XD vs Glock decision on what you are most comfortable carrying and shooting.

Good luck.

Dave

When you buy your first gun, you should be buying your first gun safe. Whether it be the small pistol only one you can put by your bed or the big slip in a closet and bolt to the concrete pad. It's the only way to be sure. Lock em up when they aren't in your control.

Grip safety should not be a determining factor when it comes to kid safety. For what its worth, I traded my XD9 for a Glock 26. I think the XD is much better if you plan to add lights, extended mags, etc. Its also a little better from an accuracy standpoint. the glock felt better to me, has a tougher finish, and has a better trigger. All opinion!

XD9 is an excellent pistol. I purchased mine for the feel in my hand AND the grip safety. I like the idea of having to depress the grip safety before the pistol will fire. I have had one occasion that had it not been for the grip safety, I would have shot myself in the leg...but that's another story. Choose what is best for you, consider all the factors involved. I personally believe what works for one may not work for another...

Guest abailey362

I have had a xd9sc, xd9 service, xdM, and *gasp* just bought a glock 23. I have never once noticed the grip safety when drawing, firing, or any other uses of the gun (besides detail stripping....never been brave enough for that one). it is an extra added safety feature, and I actually think the striker indicator is more useful as a safety feature for myself.

Guest 3pugguy
Hello, I'm new to the forums and guns as well & had a question? I've searched & wont even get into the glock vs xd debate....lol My question is for those who have owned a xd & a glock. Is the grip handle safety on the XD practical and worth it as I do have small kids in the house. That has me leaning towards the XD9 but other than that I am looking at glock 19 to wear concealed. This is a great forum by the way and a wealth of information. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you have kids little enough to not understand guns or keeping away, wouldn't you have the gun in a safe or otherwise secured?

I am a Glock fan (have a G19), but those whom I know who have the XD really like them and they get great reviews. One of the things I hear is how the XD feels more natural to some people; the Glock fits me well.

Guess it comes down to preference. Again, if you have that small of kids at home or kids who have friends who will be in your house and who won't understand no gun handling (as in they are not a toy), keep the guns locked up. A gun safe will be worth the money, I think. Just my :tough:.

Guest momuzyk

Thank you very much, wasnt really expecting so many responses. I will not let the grip safety determine what I buy and go with what feels better in my hand and on the list as well is a small gun safe for now until I can purchase a bigger one. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Do you guys (and gals)... :) have any problems concealing the XD9 or if that is my determing factor will the Glock 19 be easier to wear concealed? Also, afforable (not cheap) 1st gun safe suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

One more thing about safety when kids are around....carry with an empty chamber. That way, even if they somehow pull the trigger, nothing will happen. I have little 5 year old grandchildren that climb all over me. I carry a p3at in my pocket. When they are visiting, I keep the chamber empty. That way I know that if they unexpectedly stick a hand in my pocket (and who knows what little kids will do?) there won't be any danger.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
Thank you very much, wasnt really expecting so many responses. I will not let the grip safety determine what I buy and go with what feels better in my hand and on the list as well is a small gun safe for now until I can purchase a bigger one. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Do you guys (and gals)... :) have any problems concealing the XD9 or if that is my determing factor will the Glock 19 be easier to wear concealed? Also, afforable (not cheap) 1st gun safe suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

I carry an XD-9SC. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster at about the 4 o'clock position. Unfortunately, I got more DNA from my mom's side than my dad's so I'm not the biggest guy around. I'm pretty thin/lanky and still the gun is very concealable. The Supertuck holds it tight and secure against my body.

That is one of the reasons I went for the XD over the Glock. I do like the grip safety specifically for putting the pistol into the holster. I am able to get the gun into the holster typically by pushing down with the palm of my hand on the bottom of the grip and by fingers on the back to the slide. No part of my hand touches the grip safety. That way, if the trigger should happen to catch on anything, the gun won't discharge and I won't blow a hole in my ass.

Finally, I have two children, ages 1 and 3. My guns are always locked up. ALWAYS! You cannot be too careful here. If you are wanting to keep a pistol by your bedside I'd suggest a safe that you can get into very quickly and practice doing so. There are many good options that are fairly cheap.

Guest 3pugguy

Thanks,

I carry the G19 in a, OWB Blackhawk (paddle option). Under an untucked, square bottom button up, it conceals well. It will also conceal well IWB - Galco, et al, make some great holsters (there are many threads here with holster info - just use the search feature).

Good luck and have fun choosing.

Guest SUNTZU

My Glock 19 conceals very well with an in waist band. You shouldn't have any problems hiding either one. Both are good weapons. Good luck!

Guest Muttling
One more thing about safety when kids are around....carry with an empty chamber. That way, even if they somehow pull the trigger, nothing will happen. I have little 5 year old grandchildren that climb all over me. I carry a p3at in my pocket. When they are visiting, I keep the chamber empty. That way I know that if they unexpectedly stick a hand in my pocket (and who knows what little kids will do?) there won't be any danger.

I'm with you. I keep my self defense weapon stored out of reach with an empty chamber. In the unlikely event they are alone and they find it, a little one isn't strong enough to cycle the action on most automatics (certainly not my S&W 4006).

I'm a big fan of revolvers and staying safe with my revolver around little ones is something I am much more mindful about.

Guest TNMedved

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. I think the first and best "safety" is knowledge. That being said, I have a couple of Glock 19's, and the grip safety on the XD's has me interested in them, not from the standpoint of preventing discharge by little ones, but from the standpoint of avoiding perhaps or minimizing risk of accidental discharge when the gun is either holstered or being drawn. I don't know. I haven't seen much on that. Cheers.

Guest Micromancer

I have heard the grip safety on the XDm prevents the slide from being racked unless it is completely engaged. This concerns me in a carry piece, as a point of failure that prevents the gun from cycling at all does not do you any good.

I would highly recommend renting both and familiarizing yourself with them. I own a G22, G23 and G27 and carry my G23.

I have a bit of an extremist view when it comes to defense and negligent discharges. This isn't intended to offend anyone, and is in no way meant as a personal attack on anyone else. This is strictly looking at situations mentioned in this thread as if they were happening to me.

Defensive pistols need to have a round in the chamber to be effective. If you are going to be where children are climbing on you, this is a time when perhaps you should disarm. Treat all weapons as if they are loaded, even if they are not. Allowing a child the opportunity to inadvertantly discharge your sidearm is dangerous. If you are going to live with people that are not you, child or not - your weapons should be locked to the best of your ability.

If you need a grip safety to prevent discharging your gun into your leg, you need to pay more attention to what you are doing. There is no such thing as an accidental discharge. If you are aware of what you are doing, and remain mindful of how things will interact with your gun it is impossible for it to go off unless you actually want it to.

Neglecting to maintain control of your gun is a sign you need to be more aware of your surroundings, and be more proficient in its use. This is not a sign that you should add additional points of failure to your equipment or practice habits that are harmful to your odds of survival in the event you actually have to use your carry gear.

Do you guys (and gals)... ;) have any problems concealing the XD9 or if that is my determing factor will the Glock 19 be easier to wear concealed? Also, afforable (not cheap) 1st gun safe suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

I've had a couple 19's and 3 XD9's and the 19's are easier to carry. The XD can be carried easily as well but it is heavier, thicker, and longer. The 19 is about the perfect size for a carry. Essentially a full size with just enough compactness to carry easily. The XD is a true "service" sized weapon and a very good one at that.