Adding new gun to HCP

Guest Rugermike

Guest Rugermike

Hello everyone. I have been coming to this site and "just reading" for a long while now, and have learned a lot about my new hobby (shooting) / lifestyle (conceled carry). I have a question about something my instructure said during my hcp class. He told us if we get a new carry gun we could come back and do the shooting part of the test to have it (the new gun) qualified on our HCP. My question is, does the state of Tenn. keep track of what gun you use to carry for personal defence?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Hello everyone. I have been coming to this site and "just reading" for a long while now, and have learned a lot about my new hobby (shooting) / lifestyle (conceled carry). I have a question about something my instructure said during my hcp class. He told us if we get a new carry gun we could come back and do the shooting part of the test to have it (the new gun) qualified on our HCP. My question is, does the state of Tenn. keep track of what gun you use to carry for personal defence?

Nope. It does not. I think what your instructor was thinking was that if you use your gun in self defense, it would look good if you had passed the course with that specific gun. I think it's lame but there are those that think it would be beneficial. But other than that, your gun that you qualified with is in no way shape or form tied to your HCP.

Welcome to the board...

To answer your question... no they dont... but we are required to as instructors of the state. At least the make and model and caliber. If you remember it was on your certificate.

Some of my students want to requalify just for liability purposes. Just because it might make a difference in court one day if your ever involved in a shooting. In no way do you have too. Once you get your HCP you can carry any handgun that your in legal possession of.

All that said most of my students elect to just qualify and leave it be, its all up to you.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Guest bkelm18
wasn't a law recently changed to prevent record keeping of this?

HB0046 - Public Chapter 101 - As enacted, prohibits department of safety or any department approved handgun safety course employee from requiring applicant for handgun carry permit to furnish any identifying information concerning any handgun the applicant owns or possesses.

Guest Rugermike

Thanks for the replies everyone. This makes me feel better, although I will probably go and qualify my new pistol when I can. This is a great site. I have told several friends who are new to hanguns about it. They are probably doing the same thing i do and read alot, but not post much. Hope this doesn' offend, but my knowledge dose not compare to some on here.... yet:p

HB0046 - Public Chapter 101 - As enacted, prohibits department of safety or any department approved handgun safety course employee from requiring applicant for handgun carry permit to furnish any identifying information concerning any handgun the applicant owns or possesses.

...and for those that may not click on the link.

For purposes of this subsection “identifying information concerning any handgun†includes, but is not limited to, the serial number, model number, make of gun or manufacturer, type of gun such as revolver or semi-automatic, caliber or whether the applicant owns the handgun used for the safety course.

Guess this will deal a pretty heavy blow to the "qualify with your new weapon" trade.

Since now no information about the weapon, period, will be recorded.

Guest Muttling
Thanks for the replies everyone. This makes me feel better, although I will probably go and qualify my new pistol when I can. This is a great site. I have told several friends who are new to hanguns about it. They are probably doing the same thing i do and read alot, but not post much. Hope this doesn' offend, but my knowledge dose not compare to some on here.... yet:p

I thought the qualifying for the HCP was pretty silly. If you can't pass that qualifying, you definitely don't need to be carrying.

If you really want to test a person's qualifications on a self defense weapon the shooting cycles should be timed, should start from the draw, and should definitely include a short range stress shoot.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of folks on this forum could pass the HCP qualifying with most any handgun after 15 minutes of familiarization time.

Guest bkelm18

There really would be no point. The new law prohibits the school from recording any info about the gun you used. So really the only thing you could show is that you took the class more than once. You couldn't prove what firearms were used.

Ok, here's one vote in favor of what's called "add-a-gun". It's main purpose is CYA. In the event (God forbid) you ever end up in court. You are the defendant, and some POS attorney for the plaintiff is grilling you if you are HCP qualified for the handgun you shot the plaintiff with, you will be able to say "yes" and end that line of questioning.

I might be an overly cautious sort, but I want to lessen the opportunity for some dirt-bag ambulance chaser.

The range keeps record of your "added qualifier". You get a copy for your safe keeping. Nothing goes to the state on the "add-on" - not that I know of. Nothing regarding your weapon's serial number ever goes to the state, even on the initial qualifier. That got struck down a few months ago.

It's about $30 for a little more peace of mind. Maybe it's just a racket for the range. You decide.

Guest bkelm18
Ok, here's one vote in favor of what's called "add-a-gun". It's main purpose is CYA. In the event (God forbid) you ever end up in court. You are the defendant, and some POS attorney for the plaintiff is grilling you if you are HCP qualified for the handgun you shot the plaintiff with, you will be able to say "yes" and end that line of questioning.

I might be an overly cautious sort, but I want to lessen the opportunity for some dirt-bag ambulance chaser.

The range keeps record of your "added qualifier". You get a copy for your safe keeping. Nothing goes to the state on the "add-on" - not that I know of. Nothing regarding your weapon's serial number ever goes to the state, even on the initial qualifier. That got struck down a few months ago.

It's about $30 for a little more peace of mind. Maybe it's just a racket for the range. You decide.

As has been pointed out, it's pointless now. The law makes it illegal for the school to record info about your gun. You are right, they cannot send the state info about what gun you used, they also cannot record that info for themselves anymore.

Guest Muttling

I'm curious as to what argument the lawyer is going to make about your weapon quals.

If you hit the person threatening you, what difference will it make if you weren't qualified?

If you hit the wrong person, what difference will it make if you weren't qualified?

It's called "strict liability" and you are 100% responsible for any rounds you fire regardless of your qualifications or the justification for firing those rounds.

I would not worry about the gun you "qualified" with or what you choose to carry now. Heck, many people have a different piece for every day of the week and have a BUG on top of that.

Once upon a time the license was tied to the gun. That has not been the case for a long time.

However, there is nothing at all wrong with wanting to continue the education in shooting. If you're willing to spend the money and time, take a more advanced class, if such a thing is offered that builds upon the initial HCP couse, or if you want to just go through the motions again, then do it.

I am glad it is not that way here in TN. In VA from what I understand from friends you must qualify with the gun you are going to carry and if you want to carry another you must qualify with it as well. This may not be the case as I do not have a VA permit, but that was what I was told by friends who do.

Ok, here's one vote in favor of what's called "add-a-gun". It's main purpose is CYA. In the event (God forbid) you ever end up in court. You are the defendant, and some POS attorney for the plaintiff is grilling you if you are HCP qualified for the handgun you shot the plaintiff with, you will be able to say "yes" and end that line of questioning....

If you hit the perp well enough to stop him, you were qualified with the handgun.

If you missed him, you weren't.

What's to prove?

Being "good" with your gun is not the same as being "justified" to use it.

Extra training could just as easily backfire, too.

"look at all these firearm courses this guy took - he's a Rambo gun nut."

- OS

I don't think you should even have to get a permit. :)

Yes, but that would make sense Constitutionally.....

Personally, if I were on the stand and a lawyer asked me if I was qualified on the gun I used, I would say yes even if I didn't test on it. Why? Because since the state doesn't require you to only carry the gun you qualified on, then by state standards you have qualified to carry any handgun. Pretty simple.

Matthew

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Amen to all of that.

back when they were drawing up the original law there were a lot of people that thought no training should be needed.
I don't think you should even have to get a permit. :)