Best Pizza in Tennessee

I'm almost always up for an awesome pizza. In my limited experience across the state, I can only think of two places where I'm absolutely positive that I can get GREAT pizza.

Big Ed's Pizza in Oak Ridge

J&G Pizza in Manchester

Gondola in Tullahoma comes in as very good, but not great.

What other world class pizza is out there?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScottD

Joey's House of Pizza in Brentwood. Lays the smack down on everyone else.

Joey is kind of like the soup nazi. Don't order fast enough, and he yells at you in a thick NY accent.

Guest HexHead
Around my house we're fond of RUDINO'S and Pie in the Sky Pizza....so tell me where is this Joey's place?

Joey's is on Ward Circle off Maryland Way. It's the real deal. Joey's from the same neighborhood in Brooklyn I used to hang out in with friends in the 70s. One bite of his pizza takes me back 35 years.

There's other decent pizza in Nashville, but nothing comes close to the real deal, NYC pizza like Joey's does. NOTHING.

Guest ScottD
Around my house we're fond of RUDINO'S and Pie in the Sky Pizza....so tell me where is this Joey's place?

Coming from I-24 take OHB to Franklin Rd, make a left onto Franklin. Take Franklin up to Church/Maryland Way (Church is on the left side, Maryland way is on the right), make a right onto Maryland Way. Take Maryland Way to Ward Circle. Make a left on Ward, follow it around until you see the pond and a shopping center. It's in there.

If you come out during lunch hour, shoot me a PM. I work right around the corner.

Edited by ScottD
Guest bkelm18

Personally I think Big Ed's is disgusting. Their pizza is terrible and their restaurant is dirty. If I want a group of stoned high school kids making my pizza, I'll just ask my neighbor.

Guest mustangdave
Joey's is on Ward Circle off Maryland Way. It's the real deal. Joey's from the same neighborhood in Brooklyn I used to hang out in with friends in the 70s. One bite of his pizza takes me back 35 years.

There's other decent pizza in Nashville, but nothing comes close to the real deal, NYC pizza like Joey's does. NOTHING.

I think I know just where it is...thanks...always looking for a good pie...I'll have to check it out used to live up Church Street in the apartments next to Rhea Little's auto repair shop

Guest db99wj

Papa Johns.:)

Garibaldi's has a good BBQ pizza.

Memphis Pizza Cafe has the stoners making the pizza, decent.

I like pizza though, Chicago style, NY style, mass made style (Pizza Hut, Papa Johns)

Guest tadams
Pie in the Sky

Midtown Nashville

I used to co-manage the original location of Pie In The Sky, back when it was on Carothers, and we staffed a culinary school trained chef. After I left, I went back for a while as stand-in chef when the original one was dismissed.

I have heard of Joey's, but have yet to try it.

Guest tadams

Big Ed's Pizza in Oak Ridge

J&G Pizza in Manchester

Gondola in Tullahoma comes in as very good, but not great.

I would put J&G and Gondola in the same bracket, really. Both are very enjoyable; decent crust, good cheese... just a little lacking for me, though. Both are definitely the best around these parts, by far, however, and nothing wrong with them. It's just not quite up to par with my favs.

Another pizza that is really great is Craigs, now inside the Skyway Lanes Bowling Alley in New Johnsonville. They used to be in Camden, sold it and had a non-compete clause in the contract so moved operations across the river. The one in Camden is still good, but the bowling alley has the original folks, doing it right 100% of the time.

Guest SUNTZU

I was just reading reviews on it and it sounds like a place I need to visit. Thanks billkill! Is it in the same shopping center as where the Walmart USED to be?

Guest tadams

A lot of folks swear by Greg's Pizza in Johnson City, too. For most, it's a love/hate thing though, mostly to do with the way they use their meat toppings. It's just great for me.

The family that owns the Raffaeles / Italian Village locations in Kingsport do make a fine Pizza. The Fort Henry Mall location is the original experience so many folks in town remember, when they were kids. But Colonial Heights is the same recipe/ same stuff. Their sauce is the biggest drawback for me. After traveling around, I would place them in the same category as the Gondola and J&G's, good pizza... maybe not perfect.