Looking for info on WWII M1 Carbine that was my Grandpa's

Guest nokomom

Guest nokomom

Hi everyone, I usually lurk over on the Handgun Carry forum but pulled out my grandfather's WWII M1 Carbine today and thought I might ask you history buffs for some info on it.

It is a Winchester with the rear flip site and serial number 1,036,XXX. It has the "I" cartouche in the stock. I also inherited my grandpa's purple heart which makes this really special. He was a POW pretty early in the war.

I found this Some M1 Carbine production dates + cartouche markings - Northeastshooters.com

From everything I can gather this is a really early Winchester WWII model. I would love to meet up with someone in the Memphis area who could tell me more about it. I'm also really leary to shoot it before I have someone tell me if they think it is in good working order. Any reccomendations on gunsmiths in the Memphis area needed. Oh, and it is NOT for sale so please don't ask.

>>>>Pics of my gun http://picasaweb.google.com/nokomom/GrandpaGunCarbine#

Since grandpa died when my mom was 12 I never got to meet him. This gun sat in a back closet in her house untouched until I found it when she passed away in 2001. I took it home and then sort of packed it away with good intentions of researching it one day. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by nokomom
Added link to pics in post
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can tell you with any certainty is that the first serial number block assigned to Winchester is 1,000,000 - 1,349,000. (Technically they produced #6-10, but that's most likely prototypes). So your Winny is very early. First production run.

I thought my books had date charts but they don't. However I'm pretty sure that it's 1942-43.

There is an endless supply of information on these awesome guns on the CMP forum. Ask there and you'll have an answer. Quick.

Would love to see some Pics! Might be able to help even more.

Congratulations on a Fine rifle, I am sure you are aware that it is worth a lot of money, if you in fact want to keep it I suggest that you do not fire it. Along with the Purple Heart that is something I would cherish forever!

After you clean it and check the barrel for obstructions, I'd put some lead in the air with it. You have a real prize there, even if it wasn't your grandfathers! Congratulations and enjoy it. I'll bet he would have wanted you to.

Man. I'm speechless. :popcorn:

That gun is worth a mint! The stock alone with original Winchester cartouche is worth a coupla hundred $.

Most parts should have markings of some kind. Based on your pictures I'll bet many have a W or WRA on them.

Please promise one thing: you will never, ever try to sand the stock, refininsh the metal or otherwise bubba up this beautiful gun!

BTW, if it's truly original, it just might have made it way out of the "chain of command" by other means. With rare exception ALL M1 Carbines were rearsenaled, primarily with adjustable rear sights and barrel band with bayonet mount and whatever else was necessary.

You've got a great rifle there, and the family history makes it absolutely incredible. I can't tell you much about it, but the sling might not be a belt. It was hard to tell from the photos, but I've seen some older rifles that had slings that look very similar to what you have.

With a proper cleaning, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to shoot it, assuming you don't find any damaged parts, and do find some ammo. Do a search on YouTube, there are a few good videos that cover disassembling and reassembling the M1 Carbine. If you do clean it and decide to shoot it, give me a shout if you can't get any ammo. I've got some I could send your way.

Guest Jcochran88

I agree with 56fordguy, I have seen orginal slings that look like what you have there. I definately would be shooting and cherishing this.

Guest nokomom
Man. I'm speechless. :popcorn:

That gun is worth a mint! The stock alone with original Winchester cartouche is worth a coupla hundred $.

Most parts should have markings of some kind. Based on your pictures I'll bet many have a W or WRA on them.

Please promise one thing: you will never, ever try to sand the stock, refininsh the metal or otherwise bubba up this beautiful gun!

BTW, if it's truly original, it just might have made it way out of the "chain of command" by other means. With rare exception ALL M1 Carbines were rearsenaled, primarily with adjustable rear sights and barrel band with bayonet mount and whatever else was necessary.

That is super cool news! My mom said that my grandpa didn't like to talk about the war. He almost lost his toes to frostbite as a POW. I really wish I knew more but that is all the info I got. Here are some pics of my grandpa's patches and purple heart. I'm gonna see if I can figure out what all of them mean.

>>>>>Pics of WWII Purple Heart and Grandpa's patches

Guest nokomom

Wow! I am REALLY excited about this! Maybe I'll bring it with me to the Memphis Friends of the NRA banquet to up my cool factor. He he. If anyone knows someone in the Memphis area I can bring this gun to I'll haul it to 'em asap. I would like it cleaned and looked after the best way possible. There will be NO SANDING of anything. I'm an avid antique furniture nut also and know to stay away from sanding an antique because it diminishes value and patina.

Clean it with Hoppe's #9 if the bore is dirty. Get some CLP Collector's oil to put on the metal. Leave the stock alone.

If you do feel the need to take it to a 'smith, make sure he's old and knows mil-surp. Personally, I would have to interview them myself, but that's me. I take it seriously.

Edited by Garufa
Guest nokomom
I wouldn't let too many people know I had it. That would be a prime target for a burgulary.

HELLO! That is why I have a .40 SW99 Compact strapped to me along with two extra mags as I type! :popcorn:

I think the sling is a sling and not a belt. If it were mine and it's not, I would give the leather a little conditioning with Mink Oil or some other type leather conditioner to prevent further rotting.

I'm with Mike, you're not going to de value a war rifle by shooting it - hell, gun has prolly seen it's fair share of fire in it's time :confused:. That said, dont abuse it or anything, but it's like a full-auto gun, shooting it is not neccesarily going to make it worth less like a standard nib firearm.

Guest nokomom

Thanks to you all for all of the info. I've had a blast just learning about this gun from you. I plan to clean it with Hoppe's tomorrow and run around town looking for ammo. You are all so great!!!!!

Guest TurboniumOxide

That rifle is sweet. My dad has grandpa's 30 carbine. The only gun of grandpa's that he hasn't given up. Even as grandpa's enfield sits in my safe. That rifle is tough as nails. I would run a few rounds through it, if it was me. Maybe that's why I don't have grandpa's 30 carbine???

You will not hurt that rifle by shooting it. Just clean it up and give it a good eyeballing first. Make sure the bore is unobstructed.

The value in an old milsurp is in shooting the things. While yours has great sentimental value and in relation to some other carbines is worth a lot, it is not of the value that would buy a home or put a kid through college.

To me it is worth less if it sits collecting dust instead of barking lead downrange.

You might have to order ammo online. I think Cabelas has some S&B .30 carbine and Graffs might still have some Wolf. Either will work fine in it. Hard to find that stuff at Walmart.

One other thing, the mag in the rifle looks a bit rough, but if it works it is good. I have some that look like they were fished off the bottom of the English Channel and they work fine too. But you may want to pick up and extra mag or two. They can be found over the internet as well as at gun shows. Stick to USGI mags, not some aftermarket thing.

NICE!

The I cut stock, The flip rear sight, the push button safety, Type 1 barrel band (no bayo lug), are all early production parts and big $$$. The stock alone is a $400-500 stock. I would love to see what parts are in the trigger housing and other parts. What marks are on the barrell? The recoil pad with the W on it is correct. The magazine looks to be Inland Mfg (AI). Not a biggie but you may want to find a winchester for it.

You need to get in touch with the Carbine club. They would love to have data on this Bring back Winchester I am sure.

I wonder if it is a spring tube or not.... the spring tubes were used very early by Winchester. Without my book I cant tell.

Edited by MikeW