Shotgun Length

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Ok, I've tried searching on here and I am having no luck.

What is the legal length the barrel of a shotgun can be before you have to obtain a Class 3 license?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood
18"

18" is my understanding also. I have heard it's safest to shoot for 18.5" cause if you are under at all they will nail you to the wall like you are John Dillinger or someone like him.

18" is my understanding also. I have heard it's safest to shoot for 18.5" cause if you are under at all they will nail you to the wall like you are John Dillinger or someone like him.

Agreed, besides a 1/2" aint much unless it's hanging off the end of your... uh, nevermind... :P

Edited by poak
Guest 1shot

The measurement is from the end of the chamber to the muzzle I am pretty sure. 18" barrel and 26" over all. Do a search for the ATF web site and you can find out. Or call them.

Guest crotalus01

ATF measures by inserting a dowel into the barrel until it touches the breech face. Make damn sure that your overall bbl length is slightly over 18" unless you want to risk an azz pounding in Club Fed...

Guest bkelm18

There is no "license" for NFA weapons, it's a tax stamp. It allows you to legally own that particular weapon. Much like a driver's license allows you to legally drive a car. ;)

Guest crotalus01

+ 1,000,000

Can't tell you how many people ask me if I have a "Whatever" license when I shoot my silenced .22 or my full auto M11-.9

ATF measures by inserting a dowel into the barrel until it touches the breech face. Make damn sure that your overall bbl length is slightly over 18" unless you want to risk an azz pounding in Club Fed...

That's why Remington and Mossberg make their barrels 18.5 these days and not 18.0.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imageek2

If the or a shotgun came with a factory pistol grip it only cost 5$ for the tax stamp

that apply"s to any rifle or shotgun

if its just a reg stock it cost 200$ for the tax stamp

now you are in the know!!!!!!!!!!

now you guys know y their are so many GSG pistol"s out there (lol)

( just saying )

Guest crotalus01
If the or a shotgun came with a factory pistol grip it only cost 5$ for the tax stamp

that apply"s to any rifle or shotgun

if its just a reg stock it cost 200$ for the tax stamp

now you are in the know!!!!!!!!!!

now you guys know y their are so many GSG pistol"s out there (lol)

( just saying )

Just to clarify, it costs $5 for an FFL to register an AOW, for average Joe it is still $200 to register an AOW. Since it costs the same for a non FFL might as well register for an SBS, then you can add or remove the stock as fits your fancy. Also, it does not apply to rifles period. If a rifle has a pistol grip only it is a title 1 firearm and considered a pistol. If you EVER want to add a stock to a "pistol" it is $200 and considered an SBR. AOWs of the type discussed here must be smooth bore and must never have had a stock on them - virgin factory pistol grip.

Granted, if you buy an existing AOW the tax stamp is only $5, but to register one is a different ballgame.

i have never heard of anyone converting a normal shotgun to a AOW only a SBS.

a correction though, you cannot in any way convert a pistol to a rifle or a SBR, in any way. once a pistol always a pistol, it can NEVER have a shoulder stock added to it. this is how it was explained to me. this is why AR guys cant get a AR pistol and when they want a SBR, just get a stock and have the receiver engraved, it had to be a rifle in the beginning. but now that i think about it, how can the guys get away with glock shoulder stocks if they have 16" barrels or the mechtech carbine conversion units?

a correction though, you cannot in any way convert a pistol to a rifle or a SBR, in any way. once a pistol always a pistol, it can NEVER have a shoulder stock added to it. this is how it was explained to me. this is why AR guys cant get a AR pistol and when they want a SBR, just get a stock and have the receiver engraved, it had to be a rifle in the beginning.

I think you may have gotten some wrong information. I bought a MP5 clone as a pistol, marked pistol, and 4473 was done as a pistol. I did my form 1 and got my stamp and made it into a SBR. My good friend did the exact same thing with a GSG-5 pistol. I have also seen Glocks the were converted to SBR's by adding a shoulder stock that was made to go on a Glock 18. Why? I dont know but they did.

-Jason G

Guest imageek2
i have never heard of anyone converting a normal shotgun to a AOW only a SBS.

Like i said you can convert any shotgun that has a factory pistol grip,

into a AOW get a 5$ tax stamp it's that easy...

And like i said if your shotgun came out with a shoulder stock then

it will be a 200$ tax stamp

and if i can do it, anybody can.. (lol)

Guest bkelm18
This thread has got me worried a lil now lol. ive got a mossberg maverick 88 18.5in barrel with a pistol grip that I beleive the guy i bought it off of installed. I know the barrel is fine but not sure if its overall length is long enough.

You'll be fine. If it's got a legal length barrel, you can pretty much guarantee the OAL is legal as well.