How to make re/loading a cost saver?

I was looking at getting set up for reloading today. Aside from the initial startup cost of the gear, how do you make reloading cost effective. I went onto Cabela's and added the following to the cart:

For loading

1000 CCI large pistol primers

1000 FMJ remington .45 ACP 230gr bullets

1LB of 231 powder

1000 remington unprimed brass

Total was 443.95

This is 143.95 more than it costs for 1000 rounds of really reliable and accurate blazer brass .45ACP. Even if you remove the new brass, and use fired brass, the total is still $230.

Any advice?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brass can be used almost indefinitely. You can also cut costs by reloading lead bullets instead of jacketed ones, more if you cast your own. Picking up brass at the range is cheaper than buying it. If you buy it, once fired is much cheaper than new. Short of that, it isn't that much cheaper....especially if you count your time. The main reason I reload is to get loads I can't buy already loaded.

easiest way is to buy in bulk like 10K primers and 8lb keg of powder. then switch to a lead bullet, non jacketed. missouribullet.com is a decent source. good people to work with but the lube is a tad smokey. i dont mind as i shoot outdoors. my next step would be to cast my own out of wheelweights. can source them for free at several tire shops. local junk yard said 10 bucks for as many as you could et in a bucket, but scrounge them yourself.

Guest Mugster
I was looking at getting set up for reloading today. Aside from the initial startup cost of the gear, how do you make reloading cost effective. I went onto Cabela's and added the following to the cart:

For loading

1000 CCI large pistol primers

1000 FMJ remington .45 ACP 230gr bullets

1LB of 231 powder

1000 remington unprimed brass

Total was 443.95

This is 143.95 more than it costs for 1000 rounds of really reliable and accurate blazer brass .45ACP. Even if you remove the new brass, and use fired brass, the total is still $230.

Any advice?

Don't buy anything from cabela's first off.

1. Pick up your brass at the range, don't buy it.

2. Buy in bulk when its cheap. Wait for sales and stock up. Especially going out of business sales. Buy primers and powder locally to save the hazmat charges.

3. Cost savings on high volume pistol ammo is not that great a %, but its there. The real savings is in premium rifle ammo, pistol ammo like .44 mag/.45 LC, and hunting class shotgun ammo to include slug.

from the info ive gathered recently, after you get setup and get the good deals on stuff and everything, you save about 2-3 dollars a box of 50. but its more of another hobby than it is saving money, plus like aforementioned, you can make your own custom handloads that you cant buy.

good thread. I have just started working the #'s for shotgun reloads. I already have the equipment, but hard to see a huge savings once I buy all the supplies. I think it will be fun to do, though. I just need a good reloading manual first, then I can get to it.

Handloading Cost Calculator

My cost for 50 9mm is $6.31, with jacketed bullets. WWB at WalMart, when they have it, is about $21.00/ 100, or $10.50/ 50 plus tax. I save about four dollars right there, and get a much more accurate load.

Shop around. I got primers for 30/ 1000. A pound of powder is about $20.00. You can shoot cast bullets in most guns to cut down on the cost even further. Don't buy new brass, pick it up at the range or buy it used. Buy all your primers and powder local, to save the HazMat fees. Primers at The Reloader's Bench are about $40.00/ 1000.

You won't see that big a savings on rounds like 9mm or 45 ACP, as they can be had at a reasonable price to begin with. Where you really save money is on the odd caliber and big magnum rounds. I can reload 218 Bees, for example, for about 25-30 dollars per hundred. Price some loaded ammo, if you can even find it, and you will see real savings.

+1 on not buying from Cabelas. I love them, but not for reloading components.

The rounds you'd be building with the components you list would be far higher in quality than Blazer, so you're not really comparing like animals.

If you must buy on-line, go to Wideners, Montana Gold, or Powder Valley. Buy local if you can. Buy in bulk. Pick up brass at the range every chance you get, and buy once-fired brass.

I use Zero Bullets, CCI primers, and VihtaVourhi powder, all very good products, and I reload 9mm for .05-.06 per round less than Blazer or WWB. Any other caliber will give you even better returns.

Mac

Handloading Cost Calculator

Buy all your primers and powder local, to save the HazMat fees. Primers at The Reloader's Bench are about $40.00/ 1000.

I'd sooner poke myself in the eye with a stick than walk into that place again. The lack of stock and pricing is a joke and this was before the run on components I can't imagine what they are charging now.

I'm all for supporting the local guy, if he is competitive.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to take the plunge today (and avoid cabelas). I have a pretty good collection of .223, .45, and .40 brass anyway, so that will save some $$. Any recommendations for where to get primers and powder in the knoxville and surrounding areas?

Get a group buy together and order at least 100K+ bullets. This kind of order gets our group down to $30.00 K for 9's and $32.00 for 40's. Buy 8lb jugs of powder and another group buy for primers and split the shipping equally. Cost tends to go way down.

DaG

Guest Mugster
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to take the plunge today (and avoid cabelas). I have a pretty good collection of .223, .45, and .40 brass anyway, so that will save some $$. Any recommendations for where to get primers and powder in the knoxville and surrounding areas?

Don't try to save money when your learning. Just go get 1 pound of powder, 100 quality bullets, and 100 primers at whatever place is closest. Or sure as I'm sitting here, 6 months to a year down the road you'll be selling the stuff on here, and I'll be lowballing you at a massive discount.

You load those up and shoot em, and enjoy the process, you'll know enough to maybe make a bulk buy.

tjconevera.com is a decent place to buy handgun bullets from also.

i see my biggest savings with my rifle rounds also. FGMM 168smk loads are about $2/round. i relaod the same stuff with CCI primers, RL15, and LC brass for less than 75 cents/round.

Hmmm, I figured that I load 100 PREMIUM cartridges that are custom tailored to my .308 that shoots around 1/3 MOA with for $50. The match ammo that comes CLOSE to matching the performance I'm getting is over $40 for 20. That's a $150 savings. Not too shabby. That's also not taking in to account all the other calibers I reload for.

To clairify a bit:

AA# 2230 = 20.99 lb

Hornady 150 gr Bullets = $25 / 100

CCI LR primers = 3.25 / 100

Federal Gold Match (shoots consistent 1/2 MOA) = $44.95 / 100.

Edited by Good_Steward
No place I know of has primers. Gander Mt. has some powder but not much. Where is a good place to buy that stuff around Knoxville/Oak Ridge? I got most of mine from Mich. and from powder valley.

I've seen powder in Gunny's too. I've heard there is a place in Vonore too, but never been there. I am in the dark on this stuff. I went with a lee progressive press and just got stuff for .45 right now as I shoot about 500 rounds a month of that right now. I'll probably try .223 if I like it, and I suspect I will. I enjoy cleaning guns, and do it even when they don't need it. Any hobby that gives me a little quiet time is a plus.

Guest tnvolfan

There are some better brass buys is you get once-fired brass -- Google that, and get the vendors for it. I always get a bunch of brass every time I shoot at my local range, but a different local one I know sells brass for $4/pound. You can't ever get 223 or 380 brass, but you can always get everything else. +1 on staying away from Cabelas, as well as Bass Pro Shop.