Time to buy my upper

Capbyrd

I'm only lacking a complete upper to finish my first AR. However, I need help. I have several questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

First let me say that this will not be a bench gun or anything like that and will likely never see anything past 200 yards or so. Optics aren't important right now and I'm not really doing this for distance shooting.

Now, on to my questions.

1. Is a chrome lined barrel worth it?

2. What twist should I go with? 1:7 or 1:9 seem to be the common ones.

3. How hard is it to change the handgaurds? If its pretty difficult, I will need to go ahead order one with a quad rail because I hate the look of a flat top with a handguard on it.

I think thats pretty much my only questions right now. Oh yeah, Ill be going the 16 inch barrel route for now and probably buying a second upper (SBR) sometime next year.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I can definitely answer the 3rd question as I just recently changed mine out. It's not hard at all. Just be patient and remember to place things back in the correct order, I made that mistake and had to take everything apart again. (I didn't have directions and just did it on my own)

As long as you can screw and unscrew things, you'll be fine.

Regarding the chrome barrel, I guess it really depends on the ammo you'll use, and how often you like to clean your guns. This is a total assumption on my part, but if you stick with decent quality ammo, you probably don't need a lined barrel, just keep it clean and you'll be fine. Also, I've read that chrome barrels aren't as accurate.

As far as twist rate, you'll have to wait for someone else to jump in, as I don't want to talk out of my a$$ (anymore than I already may have)

I like chrome. Less maintenance and the supposed lack of accuracy is negligible - if any. Free float handguards take a few tools and more work, but handguards that use the delta ring just take elbow grease. 1:9 is the best all round in your situation.

On your second question:

If you are wanting to go with a heavier grain Bullet choose the 1:7 they are more accurate barrels for heavier projectiles at longer distance,

If you are sticking with say .55 grain the 1:9 twist will work, since you are shooting under 200 rounds, 1:9 is what I would go with no matter which bullet you choose

Edited by willis68

1. Is a chrome lined barrel worth it?

NOPE. No need to go there unless you're going into combat with it.

2. What twist should I go with? 1:7 or 1:9 seem to be the common ones.
1:9 is the most versatile. A 1:7 won't allow you to shoot "most" 40gr bullets with any accuracy. A 1:9 will shoot anything short enough to go in the magazine ... up to 69 grains or so.
3. How hard is it to change the handgaurds? If its pretty difficult, I will need to go ahead order one with a quad rail because I hate the look of a flat top with a handguard on it.
The regular "triangle" handguard is simple. But a floated handguard will (in most cases) require removal of the gas block. While that's not rocket science, it can be challenging if you've never done it before. It has to be replaced with the hole aligned with the gas port in the barrel. I'd suggest that you order the rifle with the handguard of choice already installed unless you're experienced in this.
I think thats pretty much my only questions right now. Oh yeah, Ill be going the 16 inch barrel route for now
Be aware that a 16" barrel is quite a bit louder than a 20" .... just food for thought.

Thanks guys. From the information here and elsewhere, I decided that I just dont have enough money yet to get my upper. I am going to go ahead and order one with a free float YHM rail. I decided to get chrome lining because its not that expensive and seems like it could be cheap insurance. 1:9 will be fine for me since I don't plan on shooting anything heavy. Ill probably stick to 55gr stuff most of the time.

Thanks again for all the help! Ill be sure to update later this month when I actually order my upper.

• 4 weeks later...