Hello From K-Town

Guest Hammerdown

Guest Hammerdown

Hi

I just found and Joined this site. I Live in Knoxville and collect Classic S&W revolvers. My main interest in them is the Pre-Model marked series 5 screw revolvers. This Looks like a great site. Regards, Hammerdown

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hammerdown
Good Morning and Welcome. That's a nice looking piece in the photo.

Hello Bubba0031 & Other's

Thank's for the Warm Welcome. The Revolver shown in my Avatar is a S&W First year Registered Magnum. It shipped December 03, 1935 and was bought by an FBI Agent. All Registered Magnums carry a Reg. Number stamp in the frame. The first year, they only made 714. The first year issued ones are heavily sought after do to their Low production. You could have ordered any barrel length in 1/4" Increments from 3-1/2" {Shown} to 8-3/4". These were the Crowned Jewel of S&W revolvers and were not offered again after 1938. In 1957 They began stamping the crane area with model numbers and this one became the Model 27. Here is some better Pictures of it with a set of Custom Walter Roper shooting grip's from The same time span being the mid 1930's. Roper Built Custom grips for shooters of the Camp Perry shooting team's and each pair was fitted for the shooter by sending him a Pencil tracing of your hand. Regards, Hammerdown

DSCF06172.JPG

DSCF0620.JPG

Guest tnvolfan

Hello and welcome,

It's great to have such an informed S&W enthusiast on the forum. About six months ago, I bought a beautiful S&W gun from Gunny's in Maryville. It's a pre-model 30, hand ejector, post WWII, .32 S&W Long caliber, 6 shot revolver, nickel plated, 3 in. barrel, with matched walnut diamond-checkered grips. It came without the box, but they told me that they believed it had never been shot. If it has been shot, it wasn't shot much. There are no heat marks at all on the gun.

I was told by another individual on a different forum that you could send the gun info (like I just gave you) along with the serial number and $50 to S&W, they would send you a documented history (as much as possible) of the gun in question. Have you ever done this? Did you think it was worth it?

I need to take a photo of the gun for you to see. I will try to accomplish this as soon as possible, but this computer I'm using dies hourly, and is very undependable. Anyway, welcome to the TGO forum!:devil:

Guest Hammerdown
Welcome!

You are my new hero. That Registered Magnum is, well, the Holy Grail of Smiths! :screwy: I'm going to stop now before I get too emotional. :up:

Do you have the papers for it?

Hello

Sadly, I do not have the Registration Certificate with it. :cry:I have given it some thought and Given the Fact it was an FBI person that owned it, They may not have sent the registration card back to S&W for the Registration certificate to be Printed out and returned for this Gun, or it may have been Lost in all the years Past. I will not

condemn it for the lack of paperwork, as there are Many, many of them without their Registration certificates, but I will shoot and enjoy it as Col. Joe Wesson meant us S&W revolver Lovers to do... Hammerdown

Guest Hammerdown
Hello and welcome,

It's great to have such an informed S&W enthusiast on the forum. About six months ago, I bought a beautiful S&W gun from Gunny's in Maryville. It's a pre-model 30, hand ejector, post WWII, .32 S&W Long caliber, 6 shot revolver, nickel plated, 3 in. barrel, with matched walnut diamond-checkered grips. It came without the box, but they told me that they believed it had never been shot. If it has been shot, it wasn't shot much. There are no heat marks at all on the gun.

I was told by another individual on a different forum that you could send the gun info (like I just gave you) along with the serial number and $50 to S&W, they would send you a documented history (as much as possible) of the gun in question. Have you ever done this? Did you think it was worth it?

I need to take a photo of the gun for you to see. I will try to accomplish this as soon as possible, but this computer I'm using dies hourly, and is very undependable. Anyway, welcome to the TGO forum!:up:

Hello tnvolfan

Late Last fall, I swapped in a S&W Pre-30 Nickel revolver with 3" Barrel at "Gunny's" in Maryville. I suspect this may be your Revolver that you mentioned here as they do not come along often in nickel. Mine was a 4 screw variety with the large upper side Plate screw {Shown} if it is the same revolver, it did not have a Factory box with it when I traded it in, that would have to have been added later. The one I had shipped in March 1955. It wwas almost a flawless example only having a Few tiny specks of corrosion, Just Under the Factory S&W Logo as shown in the Picture. It had been shot when it came to me but very little. It also had many Light scratch's on the Gun when I got it, But with a lot of Polishing using a Product called Flitz, I was able to remove all the scratch's only leaving behind these Tiny speck's of Corrosion I Mentioned. If you P.M. me, I would be more than happy to share the serial number of the revolver I traded in there as I suspect we are talking about the same revolver here.... :screwy: Best regards, Hammerdown

Pre-302.jpg

Pre-304.jpg

Guest tnvolfan

I have sent the PM, but it would be a miracle if this is NOT the same gun. Sure looks like my gun -- you sure did a beautiful job caring for it. I don't think it stayed in Gunnys more than 24 hours after you traded it. Can't wait to hear back from you!:up:

Edit:: IT IS THE SAME GUN!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THE ODDS OF THIS ???

This is the classiest gun I own -- isn't it a beauty??

Edited by tnvolfan
Received great information!