Boberg XR9 9mm thoughts?

JeffsSig

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I really like that. At first I was like, what's the big deal, Rohrbaugh's already done that.

But the addition of real sights (Novaks in the rear) and an extra shot vs the R9 is very tempting. But it's not a done deal til it hits the stores, and pricing will need to be similar or less than the R9 or I can't see this being anymore successful...

Still though, very cool. Good find Jeff!

I really like that. At first I was like, what's the big deal, Rohrbaugh's already done that.

But the addition of real sights (Novaks in the rear) and an extra shot vs the R9 is very tempting. But it's not a done deal til it hits the stores, and pricing will need to be similar or less than the R9 or I can't see this being anymore successful...

Still though, very cool. Good find Jeff!

The big difference is that this one has a 4.2" barrel.

I think it is too late to the party. It is five ounces heavier than either the Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11, and about the same size. It is an untried/unknown mechanism. It's going to be expensive. I don't think it will sell like hotcakes. There's no urgent need for it. I'm guessing it will never make it to market.

I think it is too late to the party. It is five ounces heavier than either the Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11, and about the same size. It is an untried/unknown mechanism. It's going to be expensive. I don't think it will sell like hotcakes. There's no urgent need for it. I'm guessing it will never make it to market.

That would be my guess too. I've seen these little pet projects before in other communities, and they usually fizzle out once they find out how hard it is to perfect a design and keep costs down. And that's without having to tangle with red tape and the ATF.

For 1k, I want to see some serious tests that prove to me how solid and reliable the pistol is. I mean, c'mon...if big dogs like Ruger, S&W, Sig, etc need a few months/years to work the bugs out of their new designs (LCP, M&P, P238...), how does this guy have any chance?

Neat gun/concept regardless of whether it comes out or not...hell if he waits long enough Ruger or Taurus will copy it.

Probably his intention. Create a one off concept, generate interest, drive up it's market value, and then sell the design and let the big guys spend the big bucks to develop and distribute.

actually the mechanism is used in some machine guns.

Guest Rugerman

I also think it is late to the game....it really missed out on the market being inflated, too. I think people would have bought a lot of them had they come out 9 months ago.

I'd also rather have a Keltec or something similar, a Kahr, over this thing.

I also have to wonder about recoil/controllability. It places your hand in the middle of the gun with the balance point directly on top of your grip hand. It would seem to create more muzzle jump than a normal gun pushing into your hand.

I also have to wonder about recoil/controllability. It places your hand in the middle of the gun with the balance point directly on top of your grip hand. It would seem to create more muzzle jump than a normal gun pushing into your hand.

I'd be willing to bet you're correct in that assumption - with the mass of the gun shifted so far back, muzzle flip will probably be worse than what you would get from other "micro" sized guns. Hopefully, purchasers of this piece already know the compromises that come with the small size. The real question, in my mind, is whether the extra muzzle velocity and first shot accuracy from the longer barrel balances that out through some kind of improved performance. It will be interesting to see if any of these get made, just to find out.

The gun strikes me as something that would perform better at the range under controlled firing than its competitors, but may not offer any tangible benefits in a real-world self-defense situation.

Guest The Highlander

You guys beat me to it. My first thought was a Rohrbaugh with a funky operation system. My second thought, when I saw the shorty, was "damn, that's gonna flip a little!"

I hope it makes it to the market, we can't have too many good guns/gun companies. But I have my doubts, I probably wouldn't buy one. For the same money, I'd buy the Rohrbaugh. Or more likely, I'd buy two old S&W revolvers, or an XDm and a case of ammo.

The Highlander

• 4 weeks later...
Guest buddysattva

I think it's necessary to put in my two cents about the recoil. The Boberg has a rotating locking barrel system very similar to my Beretta Cougar 8040. The rotating barrel slows the blowback just a tad, and while I won't claim that my Cougar's recoil is nonexistent, it IS one of the softest shooters I've had the pleasure to own.

If this system softens .40 S&W this well in my Beretta, I would have to assume that the rotating barrel system in the Boberg (while not identical) would drastically cut the recoil in 9mm, even despite the small form of the gun. Still, I'll need to see what it does with +P rounds.

My only real concern is the reliability of the feed system, but I plan to buy one when it hits the market. No review matches what my own hands and eyes tell me.

The introductory price of $850 sounds okay.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to resurrect this old thread since we can start too many, and I thought some of the old posts were funny considering the gun has finally started shipping. I also thought it should be brought back to life as the majority of the posts are concerning some type of pocket or easily concealable pistol. Most of those threads are also in the 9mm.

Why so many posts on pocket 9mm??? Let's be honest, we all want the easy of carry of a LCP or P3AT with the power of a 45. We want the most power that we can comfortably carry. While this gun is no .45, because of the longer barrel you achieve almost the same ballistics as a G26 in a pistol about the same size as a Kahr 380! I'm extremely intigured for that reason alone. The fact that it also has less recoil (most 9mm pistols are so snappy it makes practice miserable), is also a huge selling point.

Some people have complained about price at $949. (Your name must be on a waiting list.) From initial reviews of owners is that it is a high quality, well built pistol with only the best material used. The price does not bother me for a pistol I would carry everyday and allow my life to depend on. IF the pistol continues to fufill it's promises of quality and reliability as more people review and test the gun, I would be happy to pay that for it.

I would encourage you to take a minute to check out the site, if anything I love to see new AMERICAN innovation. This challenges the mold of handguns as we know it, and benefits us as consumers and firearms enthusiast.

Boberg Arms