9mm for Female, Small Hands, Suggestions Requested

StPatrick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your suggestions, and keep them streaming in. The plan right now is to take her to the show next Sunday so she can pick up anything that catches her eye...I just need to make sure I don't bring my own checkbook. I'm pretty sure we all know how that story end$.

And to all you fine members who suggested 1911...there are two problems with that: 1) I don't need to be super-jealous of my kid sister's piece, and 2) I don't need to be super-jealous of my kid sister's piece. At least let me save some scratch and get one for myself first!

In all honesty, if she likes a single stack 1911, we'll find one for her, and I will complement her exquisite taste in firearms. Personally, I want her to get a shotgun, but that is a definite no-go, so we gon' buy her a pistol!

I will keep this post updated with our progress at the show and range.

Guest 1817ak47

have you checked a bersa 9mm, they are barely larger than there bersa thunder 380 which has gret reviews. my wife love her bersa380 I bought her. I kinda wish it was my conceilable carry, as I have unconceilable carry 9mm xd9(sweet gun but kinda large)

Oh the travails of getting the female in the family a pistol !

We started with the Bersa .380 she liked to shoot it but its a tight little gun and she had problems with racking the slide when shooting or practicing reducing a stoppage. Moved next to trying a XD 40 and a G27. Recoil jarred her hand and she still had a little trouble racking the XD. The G27 was the right size but control of the feisty 40 was an issue.

Next, the S&W 442. Loved the size, the ease of point and squeeze but the stiff trigger caused her aim to suffer.

We finally fell onto the XD 9 sub and she loves it. Easily operated, shoots it really well and often, no recoil issues. We ended up getting his and hers.

She found her gun! Another recommendation for the XD9s.

Was gonna say Sig 239 because my wife's grip is super skinny but half the posts already said 239. If she's OK with 9mm/.380, then maybe Walther PPK with a lightened spring. It's pretty micro.

Springfield Armory EMP or Kahr PM9

Or, since you don't want to be jealous ;), how about the new Taurus Slim Frame?

I think taking her to a show and letting her handle a bunch of different guns is a great idea. I wouldn't rule out a revolver though. You can get a revolver in 9mm too....I believe Taurus makes one. I got my 79 year old mother an S&W 442 .38 and bought some Federal Nyclad Low Recoil ammo for it. She can shoot and handle it just fine and she's arthritic and only weighs about 110 lbs. Revolvers are the ultimate handgun for the inexperienced shooter that just wants a gun to keep beside the bed at night. You can't get any simpler...unless you go with a Glock! :D

Guest The Highlander

I have small hands myself, and I LOVE the Ruger SR9. With the interchangeable backstrap you can make it feel like a 1911 with either arched or flat mainspring housing. It carries a whole bunch of 9mm rounds, the sights (at least for me) were dead on from the factory. With the flat backstrap, it feels very much like a Commander sized 1911 to me, and that is a very good thing.

It also sits very low in the hand, and combined with the polymer frame, the recoil and muzzle flip are minimal.

It has a trigger safety, like the Glock. But it also has a frame-mounted thumb safety, although it is a little further back than on a 1911.

It has a rail, and mine is fitted with a Viridian Green Laser when it is in the nightstand, a better choice would be the Viridian X5L Universal green laser/white light.

The only drawbacks to mine were a very tight safety and mag release. This I solved by a night of on/off cycles while watching a ball game one night.

I have also owned a 239 in 9mm. Very accurate little gun. Great advantage in conjunction with the 226. The only downside I saw with the gun was the high bore axis seemed to exhibit a little more muzzle flip than a Glock or SR9.

The Highlander

So I let me wife look around for a long time and she decided on the XD 9mm Subcompact w/3inch barrel. Why? Three things.

1. It fit her small hands well and she could handle to recoil, all the while admitting if she had to use it in self defense she prolly wouldn't even notice the recoil.

2. She always wants extra saftey on the gun but doesn't want a safety you have to remember to flip off. This gun has the trigger safety system kinda like a Glock but what the Glock doesn't have is the grip safety on the back of the gun. She liked this a lot b/c she didn't want to be fumbling for the gun in the night and it go off b/c she accidently pulled the trigger while grabing for it....like Plaxico Burress & his glock? haha

3. It has two indicators that let her know it's ready to fire! (A.) It's got the striker status indicator on end of the gun to let you know visually and by feel the gun is cocked. (B.) Also it has the loaded chamber indicator that can be checked visually and by feel on top of the chamber to let you know there is a round in the chamber. This way she knows for sure if there is one in there and it's ready to shoot.

Anyway, "that's what she said."

Good luck with your search and kudos for helping her find what she wants. There's many other very good suggestions on here. Its all up to her!

Take a trip up to The Academy of Self Protection in Joelton. It's only about 40 min from Franklin. They have a great selection of rentals for around $8. They used to let you pay the $8 and have one gun at a time to shoot as many as you want. I do remember some XDs, lots of Glocks, M&Ps, no sigs or H&K though. I have a few glocks (35,34, 26), a USP-C, or a Ruger GP100 if you want to meet me at the range sometime to have her give them a try. I'm in Franklin too.

My wife loves the GP100 loaded with .38 special. Large frame brings down the recoil, nothing to smash her left thumb, no shell to hit her in the head. If you do go with an auto, you might try to get a laser light combo for the dead of night. Makes me feel a little more sure of my shot at 2am.

Now now, BD, leaning against the wall next to it is more than adequate.

My point was, if you only want a weapon to defend your bedroom/inside home, why depend upon a secondary weapon like a pistol?

- OS

Again, against my (I think) better advice, my dear sister will not be allowing a shotgun into her home. I would agree that a nice, affordable 20ga. would be exactly what the Doctor prescribes for pesky situations, but it is officially off the table.

It'll be a couple weeks till we can both get to the range for her to try my guns (XDm9 and P239), but hopefully we can find out what feels good for her on Sunday at the fairgrounds here in beautiful, and suddenly somewhat cold, Nashville.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap punch set so I can change out the backstraps on the XDm? I'd like to let her fire with the smallest grips, but don't have the tools to arrange that.

As stated before, I'll update as progress continues; please keep the suggestions rolling in.

Stay tuned for our next installment, intrepid reader...and remember, 1985 Mike Singletary is watching you...right now.

Guest 270win

A revolver is simpler than an autopistol for those who are not that into guns to safely handle. It is easier for someone to load, unload, and check to see the status of if the revolver is unloaded/loaded. A revolver has a somewhat heavy double action trigger, lessening the chance of an negligent discharge. Inexperienced shooters often touch the trigger of firearms. I wouldn't want an inexperienced/casual shooter using a 1911 for self defense.

My wife hated my p226. She couldn't make up her mind while shopping guns so I just bought her the Taurus slim to start. She absolutely LOVES IT!!! We've put about 400 rounds through is with little problems to speak of. here is a very lengthy post I made about it...

Rebtl,

I am on the same quest you are. I bought my first gun, intending to carry, about a year ago. Sig p226. I love the gun but don't carry it... too big to conceal with what I wear on a daily basis.

I had been looking for something for my wife for about 6 months and she about drove me crazy because she couldn't make up her mind. Finnally I just bought her the taurus 709 and she absolutely loves it! We have put about 400 rounds through it the only problem being that it wouldn't fire about 5% of the reloads we put though it. Taurus said that they only guarantee it to shoot manufactured rounds and we haven't put a manufactured round in it that it wouldn't shoot.

I have been looking for exactly what you are, again for myself and have really considered the pm9 as well. I have a gunsmith buddy that is trying to talk me out of buying kahr because of some past experiences but almost everyone else has had nothing but good to say about them.

I am really considering buying another taurus 709 for myself because of the great experience we have had with the one we have. I have never been a taurus fan but my opinion may be changing. Another attractive point is that we bought the gun (brand new, at a gun shop), 100 rounds of ammo and two holsters for just under $500.

I love my sig and wouldn't trade it for 2 of anything else but it makes a great truck gun not CCW.

Just another heads up... I shot the CW9 and thought it was a rough shoot. my sig vs. cw9? kinda like the difference in driving a Cadillac and go-cart... real jerky. The 709 isn't a very comfortable shoot for me because big hands don't do well with small guns but I could carry it in my pocket comfortably and I don't plan on spending a lot of time on the range.

Thats another point. Any of the smaller guns are not gonna be a lot of fun on the range... just consider that... but for CCW they serve their purpose

I'm no gun expert. Consider all of the above MHO

Take a trip up to The Academy of Self Protection in Joelton. It's only about 40 min from Franklin. They have a great selection of rentals...

Yes! She should shoot as many brands/calibers as she can before making a decision. She may wind up liking a small gun or a 45 or something in between.

I know a woman whose neighborhood had an "incident" happen, attempted break-in or something and ran out the next day and bought a revolver. That's a great idea but she had never shot a gun before the purchase and still hasn't shot the one she just bought. I urged her to take her gun to a range and sent her several web links for information (rules of gun handling, etc.) but I don't think she's done it yet. My boss and I even offered to take her to the range, but she's not ready, I guess.

Edited by ~Emily~
Guest BigShot

My suggestion is a "Judge" .410 revolver loaded with 2 3/4" reduced power Federals that come with 4 pellet 000 buck. To address the small hands, install S&W grips from a J or K frame to reduce the size.

If my understanding that grip frames on Taurus Judges are the same as Smiths is correct, you could get a "Public Defender" with small J frame panels and have a nice home shotgun revolver for nightstand protection.