What are your five must have guns

Guest mosinon

Some folks will argue that five guns simply aren't enough. I get that, different jobs=different tools. I use five different Macintoshes everyday for different reasons. But I want to talk must haves not it would be nice to haves.

So what are your five guns you've got to have. I've got two must haves: A 9mm handgun and a .22. Those choices for me are a 92fs (like it) and a 10/22 ruger. (getting it). Cause hey, 9mm and varmint gun!

But I'm sincerely interested in your reasoning if different and your choices.

My complete list, very uniformed, would be:

92fs

10/22

ruger mini 14 or mini 30

12 gauge shotgun of some sort (haven't researched this yet)

and a 1911

Yeah, the 1911 is redundant but people seem to like them sooo much.

Your picks will be better and make more sense.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folks will argue that five guns simply aren't enough. I get that, different jobs=different tools. I use five different Macintoshes everyday for different reasons. But I want to talk must haves not it would be nice to haves.

So what are your five guns you've got to have. I've got two must haves: A 9mm handgun and a .22. Those choices for me are a 92fs (like it) and a 10/22 ruger. (getting it). Cause hey, 9mm and varmint gun!

But I'm sincerely interested in your reasoning if different and your choices.

My complete list, very uniformed, would be:

92fs

10/22

ruger mini 14 or mini 30

12 gauge shotgun of some sort (haven't researched this yet)

and a 1911

Yeah, the 1911 is redundant but people seem to like them sooo much.

Your picks will be better and make more sense.

For me...

.45ACP semi-auto (XD45 Service and a S&W 4506 for me)

.22LR (Ruger 10/22 stainless / synthetic with good optics for me)

12 Gauge Shotty (I have several...Remington 870, Mossberg 500A, etc.)

.38spl or .357 Magnum Revolver (S&W 442 for me)

.30-06' Bolt action (Model 700 BDL with good optics)

Just my opinion...

I like your picks! But why the revolver?

Interested in your reasoning cause I don't know much.

Reliable!

I've owned several, but only have a couple now. Plus, the ammo has been (historically) easy to find.

A good DA/SA big-bore revolver (.38/.357/44/45LC) is awfully fun to shoot.

Some would argue (where are you, Strob2000?) that everyone should have a revolver / levergun combo that shares ammo!!

Well, I'm one of those people. But I'll play along.

My five:

1911 .45 ACP

Remington 870 12 ga.

AR-15 .223

Remington 700 .308

Ruger 10/22 .22LR

I smell a trend...(I should have mentioned my Stag AR-15 in .223).

I admire your tastes.

Some would argue (where are you, Strob2000?) that everyone should have a revolver / levergun combo that shares ammo!!

I like the idea myself, went .357/.38 with Marlin 1894C and Ruger Blackhawk. And the Blackhawk will shoot 9mm also. So I get several options as I pick over the corpses during TEOTWAWKI. :mad:

- OS

Guest Revelator

I'm a suburban survivalist aspiring to be a backwoods survivalist, so based on that my five-gun battery would consist of the following:

1. Common caliber semi-auto handgun

2. 12 gauge shotgun

3. .22 rifle

4. Semi-auto .308 rifle

5. Semi-auto .223/5.56 rifle

Currently I have all of these but #4, and honestly in this part of the country you may not even need that. Though I do have a bolt action rifle chambered in a substantially similar round (7.5 Swiss). As a battle rifle caliber .223/5.56 will work fine within its limitations, and it's better for smaller-statured family and friends. I was thinking of putting a Magnum-calibered revolver in the #2 spot, but I think for inside the home I'd take buckshot over a .357 or .44 mag. If I lived in grizzly bear country, though, I might take the revolver, for when I'm working the land or hiking or whatever.

I like the idea myself, went .357/.38 with Marlin 1894C and Ruger Blackhawk. And the Blackhawk will shoot 9mm also. So I get several options as I pick over the corpses during TEOTWAWKI. :mad:

- OS

Glad you found that 357/9mm combo finally. Wish you'd been in the market for one when I was selling mine!

I totally agree...I would love the 357 or 44 mag lever-gun / revolver combo.

Good call, Chief. You may just be the most interesting man on the earth.

dos-equis.jpg

I smell a trend...(I should have mentioned my Stag AR-15 in .223).

I admire your tastes.

Yours too. I actually considered leaving the AR off the list. I had to include it though because it's fun to shoot, and should anything horrible ever happen, a SHTF situation as they say, it would be nice to have around.
Guest TnDeerHunter

Like the rest it's hard to limit to five. But here's mine.

1911 .45

Marlin 357 lever

Ruger Super BlackHawk 357

T.C. Icon 308

Winchester Super-X ll 12 gauge

This is a tough decision. Of the ones that I have I absolutely can't go without..

XD45

10/22

M77 Mark II .280 Rem

AR-15 .223

Browning A-5

I have several different shotguns, but the A5 is a Belgium made Light Twelve that belonged to my grandfather, so I'll never get rid of it. The M77 is a tough choice over my Remington 700 BDL .270, but all in all it just seems to me that it shoots much better. Also the XD45 is a tough choice over my Glock 22 since the Glock has the Lasermax. The 10/22 and the AR-15 are easy choices though that I would never want to get rid of.

5 Guns isn't enough....:D

Calibers are the different strokes for different folks BUT...

1. .22 Rifle

2. .22 Pistol

3. 12 gauge shotgun

4. Long Range rifle

5. Carry pistol

Those five are fill in the blanks for what fits. I done swapped numerous times and it seems as if I like the BIG boomers but the 500 mag does gets a little heavy in my pocket... :D

.22lr pistol

.22lr rifle

Hi-power rifle

Shotgun

Self defense pistol

-----------------------------------------------

Brands are ford vs. chevy and it is all about caliber rather than the delivery mechanism. The above list bar-none covers all the bases.

BigShot -Holy cow I didn't see your list until I posted because it was on the second page...goes to show that great minds think alike :-)

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

It's amazing the lack of Glock I see being posted....

My #1 will always be

1. Glock 19, 23, or 21.

2. Dan Wesson CBOB .45 1911

3. Colt 6920

4. Benelli M1 Super 90

5. Remington 700 30-06

Edited by Glocked-N-Loaded

.22 Rifle-

.22 Handgun-

.357 Mag Revolver-

Bolt Action Rifle-.270 or 30-06

12 gauge pump shotgun-

I have more than one of each and several more types, but these couldn't be lived without. These will get you through just about anything that could happen IMO. Ammo availability getting to where it is now and assuming it will get worse, these calibers will always be around and shouldn't require a ton of maintenance. Not necessarily the fanciest, but utilitarian and dead reliable.

1. Model 39 marlin 22 lever gun.

2. Some sort of pump shotgun -- 12 or 30 gage. My favorite is a Winchester model 97 or one of its clones -- like a norinco. You might also try a short double barrel shotgun like a Stoeger Coach Gun.

3. 22 pistol or revolver

4. N frame smith and wesson revolver -- any caliber

5. Some sort of 1911 variant in 45 acp

Have fun with all them and learn to use them well.

Kind regards,

LEROY