What to carry when I can't carry?

I am a college student and I spend a lot of time on campus (obviously) where I cannot carry.

These days a pocket knife just doesn't bring enough peace of mind for those walks back from the library late at night. (I live in a neighborhood just off campus.)

Anybody have suggestions for other things I could carry on campus?

I have been thinking about a taser but I don't even know where to start.

I am not big on pepper spray/mace because you have to hit them in the face for a really good effect (what if I can't aim it at their face at the time?). Not to mention having to breathe that stuff myself in a close quarters situation.

Thanks for any tips or advice,

Rebtl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baton,

get the c2 taser,

mace is always a good backup.

I just googled the c2 taser and it looks awesome but I can really afford 300 bucks for one right now, (heck thats a great start on a new gun).

Maybe its worth the investment though. there will always be times when I can't carry

Man, people like you, students, are somewhat screwed...err limited on what you can do to protect yourselves. Sucks. But wait, schools are gun free zones...nothing ever happens on campus. :P

Yep, what has been said above.

Man, people like you, students, are somewhat screwed....

being in Chattanooga, and knowing only a little bit about the area of UTC.....guns should be required!

being in Chattanooga, and knowing only a little bit about the area of UTC.....guns should be required!

University of Memphis here....ha, I win!:P

Ya'll getting a bunch of folks from Atlanta don't ya?

+100 for that. A coupe of friends on mine, one of whom is a very big guy, got robbed at gun point right outside the door of their dorm building last year.

University of Memphis here....ha, I win!:P

Ya'll getting a bunch of folks from Atlanta don't ya?

Yea I'll give you Memphis on that one, but doesn't make me feel any better around here.

I don't know about folks from Atlanta, just folks from the wrong side of 24.

Have you thought about getting a 5 or 6 cell Maglite its a mini bat and very legal plus your less likely to be a target if your walking with that in your hand

I hadn't thought about that at all. I completely agree those things are beasts. I will look into it. Though I was kind of going for something that I could slip into my pocket.

Guest blackbeltchick

You can also use your keys as a weapon by holding them in between your fingers. While using the Maglite to blind your attacker. Just a thought.

You might want to check this out. It's mainly geared towards women but it works just as well in the hands of a male. Be sure to check out the different parts of the website to see different ways it can be used. It feels really natural in your hands.

www.TheSpikey.com - Defend, Fight Back, Stay Safe!

It is not classifed as a weapon so it's campus friendly.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe a baton is considered a weapon by some groups.

Sadly, Tennessee is pretty hard on students even having a firearm in their vehicle or in dorms on school property. I went to college in Arkansas and it was perfectly legal (though against policy) for us to have loaded long guns in vehicles or dorms on campus.....kind of gray on handguns...depending on if we had a license (then legal say in car or sidewalk but not in building) or if the handgun was being kept for say hunting or target shooting. If you had a handgun in your car....no license...not on a journey....and not say a hunter...you could get arrested for a felony charge back home in Arkansas...but loaded shotgun in the gun rack..PERFECTLY LEGAL! I often kept a loaded long gun in my car trunk in college for plinking and small game hunting. My last yr I could keep my gun in my dorm room (legal but against policy) b/c I lived alone and no problems with nosey room mates. I lived on campus (Univ of Arkansas-Fayetteville) so never felt the need to carry anything as far as a weapon up there on campus besides driving on highways from Fayetteville to Little Rock or Memphis. I had a pocket knife...but mainly as a tool not protection...again Fayetteville is a pretty safe town...some friends kept guns in their dorm rooms and frat house rooms or cars/pickup trucks.

Your options in Tennessee seem to be a little more limited than mine were at UofA due to what I did and friends did is flat illegal here and you feel the need to actually protect yourself VS keeping a gun in your car or dorm/frat house room. I would recommend Kimber Pepper Spray...it gives you two good bursts that won't blow away as bad in the wind. Get you a little J frame Uncle Mike's pocket holster to put it in. That will work much better than a pocket knife because it puts distance between you and an attacker.....I hate to hear that you feel that your campus is not safe...I enjoyed my college years and many of us walked around in well how can I say it...hmmm in a not all there state of mind in Fayetteville between the Bud Light, bourbon, and blended whiskey...so we weren't too aware of our surroundings and more concerned about watching girls while walking around campus at night down to the bars with a 'cold drink' in our hand on the way for the walk! Enjoy college it will be over before you know it.

If you are serious about being able to defend yourself when you can't carry, I'd recommend training in a good, practical martial art. Even when you can carry, its nice to have more than one option to respond with. I've been training in Aikido for the past two years. Getting my HCP and more training with a firearm was a natural extension of self defense and that art. Several LEOs train/instruct at our dojo and are a wealth of knowledge on the legal front, too.

Sorta on a side note, but you may want to join the facebook group for concealed carry on campus. This has been getting a fair amount of attention recently. I think the group is "Campuscarry.com" I am not too much into the facebook stuff, but I saw this group on the news and joined. It has like 47,000 members now.

As far a being safe, the best defense I found to use around school was to look alert and try to have multiple people with me. Sounds gooby, but I never had any trouble. I was at UTK.

I know a couple people at UTC that carry anyway. Not necessarily the smartest idea though.

I'm a big fan of a knife, monkey's fist, and a very bright flashlight. Blind 'em, then hit 'em.

And I second the ASP cert, cause it's better than nothing in a gun fight.

Guest RugerFan7

I am stuck in the same hole. I go to MTSU and I feel like it is the main place I need to carry but I can't. Right now I just carry a large pocket knife. Tazers you only have one shot, so I don't think they are worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the Tn laws are on carrying batons concealed? What about

saps/blackjacks?

Illegal.

39-17-1307 Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon

(a)(1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

It is a defense if you have certificate showing your trained in the use of the baton.

39-17-1308 Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(9)
By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws