Ammo as currency

I have been thinking a lot lately about which shtf scenario is more likely. A lot of people seem to think it may be the collapse of the dollar and I have heard several "experts" lately say you should have some of your investments in something that can be bartered, like gold. I am thinking in a shtf situation very few thing would be worth more than ammunition. I know we are just getting over a run on ammo, but I think most people were buying for themselves. What does everyone think of ammo as an investment?

Glenn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told Gold, ammo and silver. are good bartering items if the dollar ever drops down to no value.

I'd look into silver right now, with the way gold is rising it might be harder to come by( plus silver is around $17 an ounce) so it is a little easier to obtain for most of us. And a lot easier to barter with for smaller things. And with all the silver being used in Manufacturing right now I have heard that the price (value) of silver has the potiental to rise just as gold did.

For those looking to "sell" your gold, I'd advise on not doing so. Keep it if you can and wait. Gold is close to a grand an ounce right now( remember when it was a lot less). It has the potiental to double in value if (when) the dollar plummets.

I just ordered some silver, Hope to have it home sometime this week.

Ammo is a good investment, but i wouldn't go overboard. Buy what you might need and maybe double it for the investment. If not, if the government decides to outlaw ammo for us citizens, then it will come in handy to know you have a supply for sale or barter. Because a gun is just a paperweight if there is no ammo for it.

Guest mikedwood

I'd imagine if the SHTF and it went on for anytime at all a can of spam, bennie wennies or a bottle of water at the right time would be worth more than all the gold, silver and ammo one could hold.

For long term preservation of wealth gold may prove to be a good investment. But in the event of a SHTF situation the gold is not going to be worth much for buying your daily survival needs. You need something that others need at the time, like food, ammunition. Hard to predict.

My opinion only.

oldogy

I remember food now is a good investment. but hard to keep food unless you get a large quantity of military issue MREs or anything that dosen't have an expiration date.

You can always use ammo to hunt for food if SHTF. Or trade the ammo you don't need for food/fuel/ etc...

Still a little bit of precious metals is advisable. Just in case cause nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. I have been told better to cover all your bases. JMHO

Guest coldblackwind

Really, in a situation like that, most anything can be currency. As things start to get scarce they will increase in value, all depends who you're talking to and what they need, or want. You might trade $100,000 for a bottle of water, or you might trade a twinky for 1,000 rounds of ammunition, and a rifle to shoot it out of. When you're talking barter it comes down to what someone wants, and what they are willing to give up to get it.

"I'd imagine if the SHTF and it went on for anytime at all a can of spam, bennie wennies or a bottle of water at the right time would be worth more than all the gold, silver and ammo one could hold."

Plus 1 to that.

Also, it might be a good idea to simply have some CURRENCY laid by. Maybe a thousand dollars of greenbacks. Why? Well, one of the first things in a SHTF situation is a run on the banks. And currency will not immediately be without value, in fact, just the opposite.

Diversify, diversify, diversify.

Also, prepare, but don't be anxious. Economic problems have come and gone in America many times in the past. There will always be ups and downs. And whatever happens, remember that your spiritual wealth is more important than gold.

Also, prepare, but don't be anxious. Economic problems have come and gone in America many times in the past. There will always be ups and downs. And whatever happens, remember that your spiritual wealth is more important than gold.

This.

We're screwed, economically, but natural disaster is a far more likely SHTF scenario for us here in the US than an economic crash that causes the need for 'beans and bullets'...

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have invested in precious metals myself. You know, copper, lead and brass. I have a load of MREs as well. It is off season in the northern hemisphere, but a (victory) garden is the best investment you can make and for this you need NON HYBRID seeds.

it is a viable option, but I would be cautious of who I traded it with.

+1 If we are ever forced to go down the road of bartering, then I would be highly hesitant to trade anyone (other than family) for ammo. It could and probably will be used against you down the road. Better off to prep you and your family for the most likely situations and have enough preps to help out your family and close friends.

I wonder how much gold and silver changed hands during and after Hurrican Katrina?

:drama:

The way I see it,there is a Walmart two minutes down the road.

In this fantasy world where everything as we know it is gone,that WM will still be there,and I'll still have my guns. I plan on taking that WM :P

I will then trade things like toilet paper for things that WM does not have.

I figure that TP will be FAR more valuable then even your most precious metals!

Edited by strickj
:drama:

The way I see it,there is a Walmart two minutes down the road.

In this fantasy world where everything as we know it is gone,that WM will still be there,and I'll still have my guns. I plan on taking that WM :P

I will then trade things like toilet paper for things that WM does not have.

I figure that TP will be FAR more valuable then even your most precious metals!

Exactly. He who controls the TP controls the universe! Good luck storming Walmart and holding it from all comers, though. :P

If you withhold TP long enough, you could outwalk anyone who is chasing after you since they will all have monkey butt. Barring they aren't using Anti Monkey Butt, of course.

Um. Lets see... typically these "money fear mongers" do this to sell you something. Typically, gold, silver, etc.

Right now is one of the worst times to buy such, as the pricing has rocketed out of hand. Which is perfect for the "money fear mongers" pitchmen - as they profit.

IF there is a huge SHTF situation, bartering will make perfect sense. Those who purchased gold, silver, platinum, etc. will face the issue of finding a way of verifying their gold, silver, platinum, etc. is what they claim it is, and what actual value it would have...

If it was a true SHTF and you offered me gold coins, I would probably not take them, as they would not have a true use. Currency, even gold, silver, and platinum, would really have no value, as there would be no "governing body" to set the values...

So, buying a little extra ammo, or toilet paper, or clothing, or food, etc. to barter with makes perfect sense for a full on SHTF...

Edited by HvyMtl

Buying gold and silver now is so bad because one is buying at such a high priced time. Now is the time to SELL it. Ammo would be a good thing to barter, but keep in mind that it also is at a high priced time. Look at the people that bought AR15 rifles in the last year. They bought at an all time high and these dealers that still have theirs on hand from when they ordered months ago can't get what they are asking because they bought when even distributor prices were high. Now the market is FLOODED with AR15's and the prices are getting lower everyday.

I would have to side with the opinion that bartering ammo could be a very risky business. If it were truly a SHTF situation even so called friends could possibly turn into non-friendly real fast. Even if that doesnt happen, who would they tell that thier new ammo came from you?

As far as gold/silver goes, I wouldnt take it in trade because as some one said, it isnt something that I could us to sustain my families survival.

Apparently some people do not understand my point. If the dollar ever fails( as it slowly is right now), there will be no value to the american currency. See why prices are always going up? the value of the dollar is not near as much as it used to be. Now is not the time to buy gold. I would put more on silver though IMO. There is someone out ther who would buy it( maybe a company that needs silver in some sort of manufacturing process). Ammo, just keep majority for yourself and family, sell what you don't use( or have a gun for). I'm thinking Fuel will be another investment, but since it turns bad over time, that isn't a good long term solution. Seeds are good, as previous posters claim.

Also if anyone has certian skills( like doctoring/dentisting/construction/etc...)those can be also used as a bartering tool.

A littlebit of everything to cover the bases if ever the SHTF. but i hope it dosen't happen anytime in my lifetime.

Edited by Wyldk2

the most valuable thing to have in post-SHTF is knowledge and the ability to apply it.

for material things however, food is at the top of the list, along with water and a way to purify it. protection is also important, but not excessive. one pistol and one rifle will suffice. 2 sources of transportation is also important.

gold and silver is for preservation of wealth and will be virutally useless post-SHTF

keeping your mind right will me one of the best things you can do.

I have food, water( purification kit), ammo, some precious metals( just mainly as a last and i mean last resort). Silver and gold, what they use to barter with if someone wants to trade you something and you have nothing else to trade with. That is if hyper inflation occurs, your hard currency will still hold value. The dollar is just paper, it was once backed by gold and silver, but now just backed by the word of the U.S. Government.

Usually I'm over prepared, but i take into account anything that can happen will happen, maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day.

Same when out riding I'd rather have it and not need it than need and not have.

Nice Quote Nightrunner, I use that one all the time.