Handgun carry questions about venues in Nashville

My wife and I are planning to attend a show at the Ryman Auditorium soon. We plan to stay at a hotel downtown and walk to the show. We feel we would be much safer walking in downtown Nashville if carrying. Does anyone know the Ryman's policy on handgun carry? There appears to be no mention of it on their website. I'd hate to walk to the show and find that handguns are not permitted and they have someone at the door waving the magic wand over over you.

We are also fans of Stacy Mitchhart who plays regularly at BB Kings and would like to catch his show while in town. Is BB Kings posted?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Guest rabidrhino

I don't believe I have ever been wanded at the Ryman if that is what you want to know.

If your concern over handguns being "permitted" is based on legality, that is another question.

I don't believe I have ever been wanded at the Ryman if that is what you want to know.

If your concern over handguns being "permitted" is based on legality, that is another question.

Hmmmm.... I think you answered my question about the Ryman. Thanks?

By the way, who's going to wand a rabid rhino anyhow? I stay away from rabid or rhino whenever I can.

Thanks again! I believe further investigation is warranted.

Guest HexHead
The Ryman may be illegal to carry in... I've not been in years but to they have a bar there? If so they're not covered by the restaurant carry law.

But their alcohol sales would be incidental compared to ticket sales.

Doesn't really matter, the law says it is illegal to carry within the confines of a building (doesn't say what type of business has to be conducted in the building or anything about the amount of sales) that sells alcohol for onsite consumption. Unless they are a restaurant as defined in 39-17-1305

Their primary business isn't selling food, and they likely don't sell food 5 days a week...

The Ryman likely is not operating on a Restaurant Liquor License, but one of the special 'other' types...

The restaurant carry law likely does not cover it. Although I haven't been there so I can't tell you either way for sure.

So ALL music venues with a bar are forbidden unless they serve meals 5 days a week?

The short answer, yes.

The long answer, it depends on the type of license they are operating under... but if they don't serve food 5 days a week, it's a no carry zone.

So ALL music venues with a bar are forbidden unless they serve meals 5 days a week?

Not only music venues....but within the confines of the building of any venue that serves alcohol, if they are not a restaurant per 39-17-1305©(3)(:rolleyes:...

As used in this subdivision ©(3), “restaurant” means any public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and regularly served, such place being provided with adequate and sanitary kitchen and dining room equipment, having employed in the restaurant a sufficient number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food for its guests. At least one (1) meal per day shall be served at least five (5) days a week, with the exception of holidays, vacations and periods of redecorating, and the serving of such meals shall be the principal business conducted.

So while it would be a bit of a gamble....this is why I hope if we lose the lawsuit the legislature comes back and simply makes a general exception for HCP holders regardless of the type of business or simply repeal 39-17-1305 all together. Which I know is a long shot on both accounts....

Edited by Fallguy
  • Like 1
Guest crotalus01

Another reason I dislike the way the law was written. If I can carry in a restaurant that serves, then why can I not carry in a movie theater or bowling alley that serves? Its really stupid...

• 4 years later...

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but in case someone searches TGO for the Ryman looking for this:

Was there tonight. Gunbuster on the glass panel to the right of the doors. About 4"-5" diameter but on a clear background, not white. Large enough to see if you're looking, but clear enough to miss if you're fumbling for your tickets.

BTW, the info above in this thread is out of date regarding carry where alcohol is served. This is a really old thread that I'm dredging up.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, glowdotGlock said:

Any update on the Ryman? I'm going to see Weird Al tonight. Yeah, you read that right.

First off don't go to the Ryman for the show you will be the only one there.

It is at the Opry House. It is posted no weapons allowed hand guns or knives pepper spray or tasers they will be using metal detectors tonight say hi to me when you walk in the door I'll be the bald guy who looks like he's mad at the world wearing all black I'm part of the security team tonight for the show

First off don't go to the Ryman for the show you will be the only one there.

It is at the Opry House. It is posted no weapons allowed hand guns or knives pepper spray or tasers they will be using metal detectors tonight say hi to me when you walk in the door I'll be the bald guy who looks like he's mad at the world wearing all black I'm part of the security team tonight for the show

Thanks for clearing that up. My sister bought the tickets and said the Ryman. I may not have caught it when I looked at them. I will try to say hi. Thank you.