Time to buy a Gun Safe

Guest USMarine7564

Guest USMarine7564

That time comes in everyone's life when the commitment to purchase a Gun Safe arises. I need a safe to handle 18-20 long guns, 9 or so pistols, personal papers and the wife's jewlry.

Here is the rub: the wife insists that it have a classy look to it. I need help! Max size is 36" wide and 26" deep, under 6' tall.

Any posted descriptions of what you have found and enjoy that meets the above restrictions would be appreciated! Pics, if you have them, or links would help. I am not sure where to post this, as it meets none of the header descriptions on the home page, so I just went to my favorite forum.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest billwilly73

I got mine at Tractor Supply for $799 it is a Cannon 36 gun wide body. Iwould wait and check everyones day after Thanksgiving sales. You should be able to get a good price on one.

Here is mine

safeclosed.jpg?t=1257906380

• Administrator

Check with Mark over at the Safe House here in Nashville. The Safe House: nashvillesafehouse.com :: Professional Safe Movers, Commercial and Residential Safes, Gun Safes, Safe Rental, Safe Service and Repair, serving Middle Tennessee

He's a supporting vendor on TGO, but they also sell safes that are a cut above the stuff you find in retail stores. There's a big difference between the various grades that Cannon makes and sells through specialty shops and through big-box discount stores.

Guest Plainsman
I got mine at Tractor Supply for $799 it is a Cannon 36 gun wide body. Iwould wait and check everyones day after Thanksgiving sales. You should be able to get a good price on one.

Here is mine

safeclosed.jpg?t=1257906380

I've got the same safe and have no complaints. I thought that for the price the fit, finish and fire rating were just fine. The lifetime warranty goes for ALL Cannon safes---doesn't matter where you buy it.

• Admin Team

Mark over at the Safe House has some Browning safes in a pretty classy gloss black. You can see your reflection in them. I've got a Browning Bronze series that I got from him and it fits the dimensions you gave, though I think you might have an issue fitting 18-20 long guns plus the pistols and other assorted valuables in one that size. Maybe not, though if you arrange them just right. It would be worth your time to call Mark and ask.

• Administrator
I've got the same safe and have no complaints. I thought that for the price the fit, finish and fire rating were just fine. The lifetime warranty goes for ALL Cannon safes---doesn't matter where you buy it.

Warranty is not the issue. Build quality, strength of materials, fire rating, resistance to theft, etc are the issues that separate retail models from specialty models. A retail model may survive a fire for about 20 mins, give or take. It may keep a less-determined thief out. But the stronger models reserved for specialty shops have longer fire ratings and are much more resistant to intrusion.

There is a difference between the different grades. :D

Guest Plainsman
Warranty is not the issue. Build quality, strength of materials, fire rating, resistance to theft, etc are the issues that separate retail models from specialty models. A retail model may survive a fire for about 20 mins, give or take. It may keep a less-determined thief out. But the stronger models reserved for specialty shops have longer fire ratings and are much more resistant to intrusion.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I haven't seen any facts to support it, but my gut feeling tells me your probably correct. Cannon has put their name on it though and its heavy as hell. Its been certified fire rated by the same folks that rate all the other fire resistant safes for 30 minutes at 1200 degrees. Thats the same rating I found on the Patriot line of safes on Cannon's website. They even use the same sealing technology. Plus, I live across the street from a fire department. I have the same "lush" interior and the TRU-Rack system like all the others. Internal Hinges, same active locking bolts, etc. ALL safes can be broken into by more determined thieves and mine has the 1" door just like most others. Don't most theives ax open the side of them anyways?? I think I got a decent safe for a fair price and was simply providing my opinion to someone asking for it.

Absolutely, Patriot safes can be had with 2 hour fire protection, mine does and a lifetime warranty as well but these safes are built like a tank and offer the best fire protection and build quality of any I have seen and I researched for 2 years before I bought mine :P

Guest Drewsett

I have several friends who have bought their safes from the safe house...according to my friends they've got the best quality safes on the market and the customer service is without comparison.

Guest USMarine7564

Thank you all for the input. It was a very good help in sorting through the sales pitches on the web.

I went with the Safe House in Nashville. Mark was informative, no pressure, and explained the benefits of each model.

We went with the Browning Medalion model M28 in matt charcoal. The number of extra thick bolts, though not the thickest on the market, as well as the metal thickness were compelling. The American Security was my vote, but my wife pointed out the extra storage capacity on the door that is standard with the Brownings, as well as the muted styling (remember, it had to look good to please her) were the true deciding factors. The American Security would have been the selection if it had the top and bottom bolts like the Browning.

Chief07 had a very good point with the size comments, and we went a bit bigger than we needed.

Long saga, and my thanks for the feedback.

\

\d

Was reading through the posts tonight and wanted to comment on the discussion concerning Cannon safes. I carried Cannon safes for over 5 years at The Safe House. While I admit they do make a safe (thin metal box) their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on. I had trouble getting them to cover simple warranty issues on numerous safes and finally stopped selling their safes because of it. So if you have a warranty issue good luck getting anything done about it. As for the security of the Cannon safes sold at TSC, Academy, etc they are the lower end of the Cannon brand and are very easily pried open, just look at the right hand side of the door( TSC safes) and look at how the back of the door is just recessed behind the frame, very easily defeated, only four bolts on the front of the door, thin metal bodies, 30 minute fire rating, even the material on the shelves is cheap, about the only thing that is good about the safe is that you didn't pay very much for it, which there is a reason it was sooooo cheap. ;) Cannon's upper end series are heavy duty, but there are other companies that have better safes at a better price and have a warranty that they actually stand behind.

This summer there was a rash of safe break ends in the Nashville area and I witnessed some cheap safes that were popped open like a tin can. Just realize what you are getting for a cheap price and what kinda of protection it provides.

Remember ....... Safes are like parachutes, if you ever need it you don't want it to be a cheap one :no1:

• 3 weeks later...

Someone wrote me an email asking the following questions

I'm curious as to your opinion on Steelwater Safes. The 45 gun safe they advertise is a 10 gauge safe with 4 gauge door and 1 1/2" bolts and a 60 min / 1250 F rating.

They are selling these for ~$1600 with free shipping. Any thoughts?

My Reply:

The Steelwater safe is a foreign made safe that is just distributed through two warehouses in the US. The spec's on the safe are a 10 gauge body which is 1/8 inch thick, which is typical for body thickness, a 4 gauge door which is under 1/4 inch thick, this is a way for steelwater to make their door thickness sound stronger than it really is, a 1/4 plate door is a good starting point, but a composite door with 10 (1/8") to a 7 (3/16") gauge front sheet with fire board and an inner liner is a better door. While Steelwater talks a good game they are nothing more than a internet safe company that produces their safes overseas and tries to make everyone think that they are priced better and have a higher quality safe than they really do.

Example : I have a safe with a 10 gauge body and over an 1 1/2 composite door and 1 1/2 bolts and the cost is only 1299.00 . If you would like to come down to my showroom I would be happy to show them to you.

Mark

The Safe House

A safe is a great investment. But if you think it is big enough for "ALL"

your guns, it won't be. Go a little bigger. I had to get a second one.

Just some advice...........................(-:

Just got the second one a few weeks ago.:cool: