glock 17

thebabybrahma

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest G-Pa Glynn

I carry a Glock 22. All you need to do is keep it clean and light lube on it. It will serve you well. Carry every day and go to the range as often as possible, never had a problem.

Guest JHatmaker

If you are going to routinely carry this, and since this is your first Glock, I might hold off on the trigger job. While I love the feel of a light trigger, I think they mainly belong on guns with an external safety (1911's etc) or a decocker (SIG's).

I love Glocks, have had two, and got a 3.5 lb trigger on one, but it was strickly a target/range gun. Once you get comfortable with it, then get that upgrade. It's money well spent.

As for anything else recommend, get yourself some TruGlo TFO sights, and a stainless steel guide rod and upgraded spring.

I got my first glock last week too. Got a G22 and took it to G&L to try it out. I 've been a Springfield fan for a couple of years now so I took my 4'' xd40 to compare them side by side. Ran 100+ rounds thru each and really couldn't tell much difference between them. Both guns are more accurate shooters than I am and quite comfortable to hold and shoot. The only thing I noticed was that the glock trigger may have been just a little better, but not appreciably so. The xd40 felt better in my hands because of the finger ridges on the G22-- they were just a little off for my grip. All in all, I like the G22; enough to want to get my hands on a compact 9mm and try it with my xd9sc.

And no, I've not been a glock-hater, just never had the opportunity to try one out. Maybe I'll get another.

i traded for a glock 17 yesterday... any everyday use upgrades that i need to do? never had a glock, seemd to be well built and easy to disassemble.

If it's a used gun it may have already been done, but IMO the $.25 trigger job is a must on a new Glock.

Just follow these directions and you'll be fine (and learn to detail strip it in the process...), you can use fine grade steel wool and/or high-grit sandpaper (1000-2000) too, just remember you're not trying to change anything, just polishing what's there:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

I also consider better sights a must for Glocks and highly recommend Ameriglo's as they offer lots of options for Glocks.

There are tons of options out there for changing connectors and springs to change the trigger, just keep in mind that there's a reason most guys (including me) come around full-circle and eventually end up with the stock trigger set-up after trying everything... The stock Glock trigger is very shoot-able, and while a little heavy, the stock connector will be more crisp than any of the lighter one's...

Edited by CK1

I've had way over a dozen Glocks and have worked over dozens. I occasionally do grip reductions for friends. I carry a Glock everyday at work and as a citizen. Internally I would recommend you do nothing. I have tried nearly all aftermarket set-ups. I finally gave up on sights and use stock plastic. However, the best Glock shooter (best pistol shooter period I have met)I know uses Warren Tactical sights. He told me he recently met Scott Warren while he is attending the FBI Academy. Once you get some experience with the Glock trigger the Glock is accurate enough for most applications. I do shoot some pistols better, but none of them are as easy to carry, durable with inexpensive replacement parts. I also like the fact that Glock 9mms will digest nearly any 9mm ammo made. I shoot all sorts of crap through mine. From Berdan primed Pakistani made ammo, Russian steel cased and on up. I hate a finicky gun unless it is strictly for the range. I have several of those too. If after you have shot a couple of thousand rounds through yours and you don't like the way the grip feels to you let me know. I'll tell you some things you can easily do on your own at the kitchen table to modify your grip.

Craig in Clarksville

I own 2 Glocks, a 21sf and a 26. The 21 I did several mods to it just for kicks and the 26 I left bone stock. Love them both. I did round off the corners on the trigger guards to help them slide back into the holsters a bit smoother. Shoot it and have fun.

i have been shootin' the piss out of the Glock..i like it...i sold a Kimber CDP Pro that I had, probably will be lookin' for a Glock 21 Slim Frame so I can also enjoy shootin' some 45 ammo.. thanks guys....if you all hear of a good deal on a 21SF, send them my way....

Shooting have to slow up a bit, I am looking for a truck....

i have been shootin' the piss out of the Glock..i like it...i sold a Kimber CDP Pro that I had, probably will be lookin' for a Glock 21 Slim Frame so I can also enjoy shootin' some 45 ammo.. thanks guys....if you all hear of a good deal on a 21SF, send them my way....

Shooting have to slow up a bit, I am looking for a truck....

That's funny to me... a bad experience with a Kimber started me on the Glock path as well!:rolleyes:

FYI, The 21SF really means "short frame" as in shorter backstrap to forestrap, not slim frame, so if you can handle the width there really isn't much difference between the G21 and G21SF other than reach to the trigger.

As for anything else recommend, get yourself some TruGlo TFO sights...

+1 on the TruGlo TFOs.

I am not a Glock owner (yet...), but I bought TFOs from G&L, Jeff Walle put them on my XD(m), and they made my shooting experience much more enjoyable. TFOs definitely make shooting from a dark position to a bright target much easier. I would assume that since they also function as night sights, they would also make shooting from dark to light, or dark to dark, easier. Since I haven't tried, I won't say that they do, but I'd be willing to bet that they would.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Micromancer

How do you get to page 3 and no one has mentioned extended slide stop or mag catch? Dry fire practice will get you in tune with where your trigger breaks, going to a #3.5 over the stock #5 trigger seems like overkill to me.

If they do not have night sights, get those as well.