Lever Guns… What do you guys have?

DaveTN

On a whim this morning I offered to trade my M&P .40 for a Winchester Model 94; but he wants to see if he can sell it outright first.

I don’t really have any use for one, but thought I might want one for my collection. (Or just to play with for awhile. ;))

I’m thinking about a center fire. I thought a .357mag might be cool since I already have that caliber in handguns… I don’t know.

So what do you guys have that you like? Maybe post some pics.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What caliber is the gun in?

I LOVE my Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag/38 Spcl!!! Took me about two boxes of ammo to get proficient at quickly working the lever and keeping the sights lined up. You'll LOVE it!

357 is my favorite caliber, so of course, I would vote that you go 357 as well. =) If you handload, a max load of H110 under a 125 or 158 gr jhp works up QUITE a lot of force! With all that extra barrel (vs. a handgun) regular loads pick up a LOT of velocity. Even your 38s come out like 357s from a rifle.

I can't say enough good things about leverguns. GET IT!!!!!! = )

Mine is a Marlin 1894 in .38/.357

lever_357.jpg

My dad bought it for me when I was 16. The reason was when he was a kid, an uncle

that they hunted with had a lever action in something like 32-20. He loved that thing. Said it just handled great and he always wanted one. So when a friend called him up one day and said a guy ordered a rifle and then didn't want it, asked him if he knew of anyone who would.

One of the best Christmas' ever. ;) I think Dad swas smiling more than me!

Great memories with it. Love to shoot it. Put a williams peep site on it years and years ago.

I just love my Marlin Lever Actions. I have a .30-30 and a .22, so on the Pistol Caliber versions, I wouldn't have much of an opinion. They're both fun, though!

I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30 with a 20 inch barrel. It has 1894-1994 on the receiver with a golden colored (probably brass coated) trigger. I put a good Weaver base and a little Bushnell 3-9X scope on it. I hardly ever use above 4x on the scope. It is a great handling gun and will do the job on a deer if you take the time to pick your target. I would not hesitate to use the rifle on black bear if given the opportunity to black bear hunt one day.

I am especially excited now that Hornady has the new Leverolution (spelling) ammunition out for the 30-30, 35 Remington, 444 Marlin, and the 45-70. I bought a box of it for seventeen bucks. Premium ammo for my 30-30 is way cheaper than for the heavy 'magnum' rifles out there. Low recoil, easy to carry, and plenty of power for anything in the eastern part of the US and Canada where most shots are fairly close (under 100 yards).

It’s a .44Mag, but I doubt I'll be getting it. He’s looking to sell outright.

If I get a .44mag… then I’ll have to buy a S&W Model 29….. it just never ends. :D

leaving.gif

I love my Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. I've tried to keep it fairly stock. I added a williams receiver site, but that is it. IN all honesty, I enjoy the rifle s much as anything I own. Its a definite keeper!

BTW, I'd consider it blasphemy to carry a M29 (or scope) with a lever gun. The rugers single actions, esp the vaqueros (love mine), were made to go with the lever action rifles.

Guest looneeetunes
Mine is a Marlin 1894 in .38/.357

lever_357.jpg

My dad bought it for me when I was 16. The reason was when he was a kid, an uncle

that they hunted with had a lever action in something like 32-20. He loved that thing. Said it just handled great and he always wanted one. So when a friend called him up one day and said a guy ordered a rifle and then didn't want it, asked him if he knew of anyone who would.

One of the best Christmas' ever. :D I think Dad swas smiling more than me!

Great memories with it. Love to shoot it. Put a williams peep site on it years and years ago.

thats one i would like to have. a guy at work has one and wont part with it... i havent seen one lately around here

I have a 1962 Marlin 336 35 Rem. It is in awesome shape, I was talking with an older guy I worked with about rifles and he told me he had an old lever gun that he used a couple of times in the sixties and then pretty much forgot about it. I could not believe when he said, "hey, do you want it?" I bought it for a very reasonable price and it is a great rifle.

Paul

Guest TN.Frank

Don't have a lever gun at the moment but IF I did go out and buy one it'd be a Marlin in .35 Rem. One of the best deer/hog ctgs. on the planet for woods range rifles.

I've got an 1894CB with the 20" octagonal barrel and lightened trigger... it's fun to shoot.

Marlin_1894CB_03.JPG

I wanted the .357 because the caliber was so versatile... from 200ft-lb .38 specials to 1000ft-lb .357 magnums. And plinking ammo is cheap, about like 9mm.

I've got a Henry .22, it's great to shoot and using calibres(spelling? primer fired) it's as quite as a BB gun. :D I love it but it's having a little problem with the rod that goes in the tubular magazine. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have the cool side slot to load like the Marlins.

Guest ETS_Inc

Over the years, I've owned 2 Marlin 336C's, both in .30-30, and a Puma 92, in .357/.38. I'm usually a semi-auto kind of guy, but for a gun used to hunt 4-legged critters, I have a soft spot for lever guns.

In fact, my first 336 was the first rifle I ever owned, purchased using savings from my allowance and my paper route. If I ever decide I need to go hunting again, I'll most likely buy another 336.

The 92 was a great gun for the range, as the recoil was minimal. Using light .38's, I could keep the sights on target and cycle the action without a problem. For someone who carries a .357 or .38 as a carry gun, I can see few better choices for a trunk gun.

Dick’s has the Marlin 336A in 30/30 with a factory scope on sale for $320. Are these any good?

I don;t know about the scope, but it is a great rifle. I have a (MUCH) older version of that one, though I don't have the "factory" scope. I'd say go for it, if you want a 30/30.