My truck wont start..........WHY???

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

Ok a quick run down of what's going on.

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.9 (360) and is an automatic.

The truck ran and drove fine. We don't use it that much. We hada RV for sale and the battery was no good, we took the battery out of my truck to put in the RV and sold it in July.

My truck sat since June/July with no battery in it till mid November. I went and bought a new battery and put in it and it won't start. It ran fine when parked. It turns over and thats it. I don't think I'm getting a spark. I have checked all the fuses and relays. I'm leaning toward the ignition or a crankshaft position sensor. What do you all think my problem might be???? A friend told me the computer looses programming if it sits with no battery for too long, but I never heard that before. Could that be it??

Is there anything else or what would you check?? I just don't want to buy a bunch of parts that I don't need.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a timing light on it to make sure you are not getting spark, or pull a plug, ground it, and watch it to see if it sparks. If you take that route, be careful, it might bite you.

If you are getting spark, I would certainly go with the fuel then. With it sitting that long, it could have gummed up the fuel filter or injectors, or any other fuel related part. Drain the old fuel and start fresh.

Start simple and remember the triangle; ignition, fuel, and air. Make sure these are present before chasing down sensors.

Hopefully this will help. That stuff can be a headache for sure.

Edited by dats82

The computer does loose programming without a battery. It may start if you give it a little throttle but will quit as soon as you lift your foot. If you get it running (don't do this in city traffic) use the gas and brake when you stop and drive it for 20 or 30 miles and it will get its programming back. I left the key on on my 03 Dodge and it sat for a few days. It did the same thing. As soon as I touched the throttle just a little it started. Let up and it quit. Doing this can be a little hairy unless you are out in the country but it worked for me.

One trick my dad taught me to check for spark is to remove one of the spark plug wires and stick the end of a screwdriver in the wire and check if there is a spark. If you're getting spark, check for fuel supply - i.e. clogged fuel filter, etc.

I always tell people to do it with a flat wrench :rolleyes:

Not something they will do twice :hyper:

I had a 99 Durango and when you took the battery out. It would run like crap for about 15 minutes until the computer reprogrammed itself. I had to pump the gas to get it started and keep giving it gas until it would run.

Guest Swamprunner

Yup, computer needs juice to start that big bad 360. If you get it running, Jest try to hold at at 2-2500 RPM and you'll be OK.

When you get a battery, especialy these days, the tech will hook a 12 Volt power supply to the PCM plug. I had a friend who didn't do it, and his heater/ac won't run. :confused:

I work at autozone I have seen it a million times the computer has to relearn itself. As long as your getting spark tested either using a screwdriver with a good plastic handle or by pulling the plug and grounding it. Also look for a good blue spark not orange or yellow. Make sure you are getting fuel on one of the fuel rails there will be a shrader valve like a valve in a tire you can push this down with something and see if fuel sprays out or you can go rent the fuel pressure tester it needs at least 45 psi to run if no fuel then you have to replace the whole fuel pump assembly dodges of that year don't have a inline filter just a strainer on the pump. Good luck

If all of this fails look at your shifter switch.

My Ford did this and it is very difficullt to track. With it being a 1996 this might not be a problem,it really depends on wear and tear and not age of the vehicle.

I have a 1999 F-150 that is used for a spare vehicle, yard work etc. It sits most of the time. I tried to start it last weekend (only time I start it is when I need it). Wouldn't start. A squirrel ate through the fuel line. I'm wondering if I can hook up one of those electric fence power supplies to it and zap the little @*!#er.

I bet he wished he had not done that after he got a taste of fuel.

I just picked it up from the shop. It has a one piece molded fuel line that goes from tank to the fuel filter. Can't just take a roll of hose and cut some off. Can you believe a fuel line from Ford is $118. That's just the part.:rock:

Guest Swamprunner
I just picked it up from the shop. It has a one piece molded fuel line that goes from tank to the fuel filter. Can't just take a roll of hose and cut some off. Can you believe a fuel line from Ford is $118. That's just the part.:D

Next time, try the boneyard. :hiding:

• 1 year later...