First Carry Gun Help

Guest Drewsett

Guest Drewsett

Ok, so I have been looking for awhile for a carry gun for myself. I am a larger guy, with massive palms...so your typical compact carry gun does not fit comfortably in my hand. I have found several guns that I have liked the function and fit of, but I have yet to fire them. I am going to go down to On-Target in M'boro and see if they have any of these guns to rent, but I am worried that some of them won't be available. I would like to solicit opinions on these guns...and hey, if you own one of them and are willing to deal with a new handgun shooter I'll pay for ammo and of course the lane fee :P Ok, on to the guns.

Springfield XDc 9mm-

I was very impressed with this gun the moment I picked it up. It felt very natural and I had no issues with slide operation, mag ejection, or the safety (duh...what's easier than a grip safety?) It is the most expensive of the guns that I like, and that of course means that I will not have the money to spend on accessories. I sort of considered the XDM...but it is a little big to be a carry gun.

Taurus 24/7 Pro OSS (compact version with Ribber grips)

This was the first handgun I handled, and I find myself comparing all others to it. I posted a thread asking opinions on this gun already, and the main concern that I had was that some members found this gun to shoot "low...very low". I have not shot it yet, but hope to rectify that. This is one of the cheapest guns that I looked at, so I will have more money to spend on holster, mags, etc. Oh, I also like the whole "lifetime warranty", even if their customer service is crap.

Ruger SR9

Definitely the largest of these guns, but it is thin and light enough that I would feel comfortable carrying it. Didn't fit quite as well as the two above guns, but is not uncomfortable. I like the fact that the sights are elevation adjustable. A concern that I have is that apparently there have been some issues with the barrel (I don't know if there is a recall or not).

Bersa Thunder 380

Probably the smallest of these guns, I was very impressed with the way it fit my hand for such a small gun. I don't like that it's .380 caliber...mainly because it's hard to find. I'm confident enough with my accuracy that I don't mind the smaller round as far as stopping power is concerned. It is another cheaper option (unless I buy lots of ammo heh).

The common thread that you may have noticed is that all of these guns have a safety. I know it's a mental thing...Glocks, Sigs, S+W all make guns without safeties, but I really do feel better having a safety. I will probably buy one of these four, but I am open to other options that are similar in size and weight.

Oh and of course if you let me fire your weapon I'll buy the first round or two of drinks after we leave the range :P

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jubil56

I dont think you need any help. You have selected 4 well built guns with in thier own class.

You now need to select the one you can shoot the best. Keep in mind the best shooter is not always the one that "FITS" your hand the best.

Good luck and be safe.

No questions hands down the best carry gun. If ya wanna borrow mine to take to the range send me a PM. I almost went for the XD 9 subcompact but theres no comparison to the reliability of a Glock.
:P:screwy:

:death:GLOCK Makes a FINE firearm, BUT WTH are you referring to??? You had any problems with your XD's?? B/C I sure haven't. Let me know what to expect out of my XD's!!:P

AS LONG AS YOU LOVE THE FEEL of the XD I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, as it is my EDC weapon, and the reliability is every bit as good as Glock. You can't go wrong with either, it is all personal choice!

Out of the 4 you have listed,I would choose the XD.

That's because it's on the higher end (if you will) of the choices given,and my own personal likes.

As far as Glocks go,I think there are better guns available to fit needs in that price range. They are not the best of the best,and can fail just as quickly as an XD,or Sig,or whatever.

I also don't like seeing them recommended for first time buyers,either.

There are safer options available for that.

Yeah sure,the only safety is your finger,but everyone messes up,we're only human after all! It's just that some guns allow a bit more for human error then others,Glock isn't one of those.

You didn't list it, but you may want to check out the CZ RAMI. I happen to have one for sale, but I'd throw it out there as any option even if I didn't. Has a safety, 10 round capacity, extremely great shootability, and it's about the size of a Glock 26, if not a little smaller. Weighs a teensy bit more because it's alloy versus polymer.

If you want to try it sometime, I've been meaning to go the range.

I am a Ruger fan. I carry a Ruger p345 pretty much everyday. I have not priced anything recently, but for what you pay, I think it is hard to beat Ruger. You have the right idea though; just get ahold of a few guns, shoot, and see what you like. If find yourself down toward Tullahoma, you are welcome to try any gun I own. Just shoot me a pm. Shooting before you buy is the best way to go.

Guest joelstephen

For a real dependable, concealable weapon any of the Smaller S&W 38's or even the 360PD in 357. I usually have one in my front right pocket in a Desantis pocket holster

Springfield XDc 9mm-

I was very impressed with this gun the moment I picked it up. It felt very natural and I had no issues with slide operation, mag ejection, or the safety (duh...what's easier than a grip safety?) It is the most expensive of the guns that I like, and that of course means that I will not have the money to spend on accessories. I sort of considered the XDM...but it is a little big to be a carry gun.

Bigger men can conceal bigger pistols. If your everyday routine and dress would allow you to carry the XDm, do it do it do it.

Huge capacity, great trigger, and a fantastic one-big-ragged-hole shooter.

If you have to go smaller, there's also the Sig P239 to consider, along with all the other good suggestions posted earlier.

Guest Drewsett
G19 and keep your finger off the trigger. If you can't do that get the Bersa or one with a safety and/or keep the chamber empty until you feel safe. Abide with the NRA 3 rules for gun safety.

Of course the only real safety is your finger. The man who taught me to shoot as a boy taught me well. He taught me so well I even like to have a safety on there in case I think I'm too big for my britches and can plan for EVERY possible situation. Besides, it makes my wife feel better too :D I do like a happy wife...I like even better a happy wife who wants to get a HCP one day (she's amenable to the possiblilty) and is already picking out Walther P22's (in pink of course) for a target gun for herself.

jubil56

I dont think you need any help. You have selected 4 well built guns with in thier own class.

You now need to select the one you can shoot the best. Keep in mind the best shooter is not always the one that "FITS" your hand the best.

Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I try not to do anything halfway and learn absolutely as much as I can. I know enough to know that I don't know enough. I've probably spent at least 14-16 hours over the last month at different gun shops and shows in the Nashville doing nothing but asking honest questions from just about everyone who carries a gun regularly and quite a few certified HCP instructors. I get a little annoying with the questions sometimes, I'm not gonna lie :D Just tell me I'm talking too much and listen and I'll stop.

Yeah sure,the only safety is your finger,but everyone messes up,we're only human after all! It's just that some guns allow a bit more for human error then others,Glock isn't one of those.

That was my feeling as well. I won't be the only person shooting this gun. My wife will of course be comfortable with the operation of the gun in case need arises. She has said she is amenable to the idea of getting her carry permit, but she is not sure she would carry regularly. I don't want to push her along, and will take what I can get...

I am pushing her to join here though :P

You didn't list it, but you may want to check out the CZ RAMI. I happen to have one for sale, but I'd throw it out there as any option even if I didn't. Has a safety, 10 round capacity, extremely great shootability, and it's about the size of a Glock 26, if not a little smaller. Weighs a teensy bit more because it's alloy versus polymer.

If you want to try it sometime, I've been meaning to go the range.

I may get in touch with you via PM here...hopefully after Christmas assuming you haven't sold it. I am a college student, working full time in the restaurant biz near a mall and taking finals right now. FML.

Bigger men can conceal bigger pistols. If your everyday routine and dress would allow you to carry the XDm, do it do it do it.

Huge capacity, great trigger, and a fantastic one-big-ragged-hole shooter.

If you have to go smaller, there's also the Sig P239 to consider, along with all the other good suggestions posted earlier.

I haven't really felt comfortable asking anyone to let me borrow their gun and holster, put it on, and see how it feels and then try to conceal it in my clothes. I have been mainly doing this where they keep the guns locked up and I'm not sure how they would react. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not tick off people who sell guns for a living.

Also, I'm sure a Sig is great, but I don't consider a decocker a real safety I guess. I get a little (okay alot) paranoid and imagine that either someone I love or myself could be in a life or death situation and the trigger is accidentally pulled in panic, or there is a struggle for the gun and god forbid it's taken from me and the half second the BG needs to look down to see where the safety is to turn it off might save my life. I know the Springfields with the grip safety fail this test, but at least they beat the snag part and I hope my situational awareness is astute enough I don't ever let a BG get close enough to me or my loved ones to take my gun before I put one center mass.

I would go with the Springfield XD but in a .45 ACP. Go big or go home, we're not carrying to hurt peoples feelings.:)

I live in a condo and I'm concerned about overpenetration. I don't want to hurt innocent people, feelings or otherwise.

THANK YOU for everyone who has responded. It's nice to have such a wonderful resource of other gun owners who have a wealth of knowledge to tap into. If anyone actually read all of this I am mightily impressed and thank you even more.

I would love to suggest that you add the Bersa Thunder 40 Pro to your proposed list. I have one, and it shoots beautifully and the ammo is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I carry a Ruger LCP for my backup and, while I have plenty of .380 ammo, finding ammo always is a concern for that caliber.

Of those you listed I like the XD the best. The SR9 seem to have issues and have been under a recall already. I like them they just make me uneasy. Taurus gives me that same feeling and I get the impression they are hit and miss. Though you didn't mention it, I have been using a CZ P07 and it is an excellent pistol, with a manual safety, hammer fired, and Glock 19ish size. I've had XD's, Glocks, and SIGS and I like the P07 the best. Plus they are going pretty cheap ATM. Think $300ish.

I know you haven't mentioned them, but there are some Beretta's that fit your requirements. A 92 Compact 9MM, Cheetah 84 .380, or even the Stoeger Mini Cougar in 9MM or .40S&W. All of them will have slide mounted safeties, bigger grips to help with your large hands, and decent magazine capacity.

Mac

Guest Drewsett
I know you haven't mentioned them, but there are some Beretta's that fit your requirements. A 92 Compact 9MM, Cheetah 84 .380, or even the Stoeger Mini Cougar in 9MM or .40S&W. All of them will have slide mounted safeties, bigger grips to help with your large hands, and decent magazine capacity.

Mac

Just looked over technical specs on these and I will definitely be looking at the Stoeger and the 92 Compact...thanks man!

:koolaid::screwy:

:death:GLOCK Makes a FINE firearm, BUT WTH are you referring to??? You had any problems with your XD's?? B/C I sure haven't. Let me know what to expect out of my XD's!!:hiding:

AS LONG AS YOU LOVE THE FEEL of the XD I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, as it is my EDC weapon, and the reliability is every bit as good as Glock. You can't go wrong with either, it is all personal choice!

No problems with the XDs. Just IMHO there are too many little plastic parts. Call me crazy. I dont like the extra grip safety either. for polymer pistol....I drink from the well of the glocks kol-aid. ;) He asked for an opinion...I gave mine. But we all have one

I live in a condo and I'm concerned about overpenetration. I don't want to hurt innocent people, feelings or otherwise.

.45 ACP is a big and heavy round with a low muzzle velocity. It is not known to over penetrate especially in a Hollow Point. It is known as one of the best personal defense rounds available.

Here is a little light reading about the .45 ACP & its original mother the 1911 pistol.

1911: The classic homeland security pistol by Massad Ayoob Issue #83

Edited by Mykltn