Beavertail or not?

jay1313g

I'm looking to get a 1911 after I've finished Christmas shopping for everyone else. (I love picking out my own gift!)

I've narrowed it down to a RIA Tactical or SA MilSpec. The hardest decision I have is in regards to the beavertail. The RIA Tactical has it but the MilSpec does not. I am fairly mechanically inclined but adding a beavertail is a little more than I'd want to do.

I know the SA is better overall quality and I will be spending more if I go that way. I understand that the XXX is only $xxx dollars more and the XXX is only $xxx dollars more but I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two. Bellshire has the RIA for $435 and the MilSpec I want is a SS one that I can pic up for $625. If you can suggest one between those prices I'm open to look for others. (Not a PT1911 fan though. :-\)

The only rental 1911s at the range are higher end that have a beavertail so it's hard to tell how "important" a beavertail would be to me. I'd hate to get the SA without the beavertail and have to spend more money to get a gunsmith to install one since I'll already be at the top of my budget.

What are your thoughts on having a beavertail on a 1911? Is it necessary or nice?

Thanks!

Jay

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

In my own personal experience, I've experienced a lot of hammer bite with non beavertail 1911s. So that's why I prefer beavertails. Besides, they look badass. :tough:

Guest tennesseevolz

I have a Colt Defender w/ a Wilson Drop in, and love it. ($50 or so installed at Hero-Gear) I also have an 80 series Colt w/ out, and like it the same----it may come down to simply being your choice- oh yeah a few shops around have Colt 1991's for between $600 and $750- may be worth looking around for--

If you are going to shoot it a lot the beaver tail makes for a softer shooting gun. If you are going to be carrying it, the standard grip safety hides a little better. I use a high as I can get grip so I usually have a beaver on a 1911. Usually, not always.

My current most likely to be carried 1911:

IMG00257.jpg

i currently carry a ss milspec daily. its a great gun. i do get bit from time to time but its not nearly as bad as most would have you believe. i dont notice it while im shooting. of the two id get the SA as its a better quality gun. you can always send it back to SA to get the beavertail installed later and it will come out alot better than if you just bought the Loaded as their custom shop is top notch.

Wilson Combat makes a jig for cutting a beaver tail. I put one on my RIA that I had. I loved the gun. It shot on par with my Kimber. The only complaint I had was finding a 3 dot sight. Wilson Combat made a low mount carry sight that fit pretty well. I don't know that there is a difference in the SA GI and the RIA. I went with the RIA because of the difference in price. I added a trigger job (hammer, sear spring, and trigger), new Wolfe springs, grip safety, sights, guide rod, sear, firing pin, and extractor and spent about the same amount as I would have if I had bought the Springfield.

I'm looking to get a 1911 after I've finished Christmas shopping for everyone else. (I love picking out my own gift!)

... What are your thoughts on having a beavertail on a 1911? Is it necessary or nice?

Thanks!

Jay

Jay:_________

Great idea buying your own christmas present; you always get what you like -- HEHEHE.

RE: Beavertail. Been shooting 1911's for 30 + years; most with spur hammers. If you have a strong grip; a beavertail will not benefit you. If your grip loosens during firing and rotates or the wrist tends to rotate in recoil; it will. Also; meaty hand, beavertail helps. Slender or small hand, not much help.

I think they look nice; they are not a necessity. They are just a nicety.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest Crunchman

All of my 1911s have the beaver tail, except one. I'm in the process of putting a Wilson drop-in (among other mods) on it. I've never been bitten, but I prefer the way the grip feels with the beaver tail.

I've shot both. I like the beavertail. It feels better in my hand. As for concealment, it's not much harder. My only complaint is that it digs in when wearing IWB for long periods. Oh, well, incentive to lose this spare tire to make my beavertail more comfortable.;)

You've got to enjoy being able to say, "Mine has a beavertail"