Are you more patient when you're armed?

This is the first "situation" that I've had while carrying...............

Went to the local UPS Store today. There was a man in there trying to ship an amplifier and speakers back to the manufacturer. As I waited patiently for him to finish his business, it became extremely obvious that this guy was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I probably waited patiently for 15-20 minutes as he asked the clerk every question that his brain could conceive. My patience was running thin but I still gave him his room and waited.

Finally ... it was my turn and I approached the counter and began my business. The guy who was now "finished" looked over my shoulder and interrupted me by asking the clerk how much the packaging tape cost. Then 30-40 seconds later he interrupted us again to ask another question. No "excuse me" or anything. Just busted right in.

I had reached the end of my rope. I glanced at him and said, "LOOK! You had your turn and I waited patiently. I'd appreciate it if you'd show me the same courtesy!"

As I turned back towards the clerk, the guy said: "You better watch how you talk to me! I might have a gun!"

:screwy::D:cool::cool:

I looked him directly in the eyes and smiled a slight smile. My most devious smile that I could muster. His face turned pale and he turned and left out the door quickly.

Perhaps he wasn't as senile as I had originally thought ... because it was obvious by my reaction, and his subsequent reaction, that I was the only one who was armed.

Although humorous afterward, I can only wonder where this might have gone if I hadn't exercised patience and constraint. I can honestly admit that I would NOT have been so understanding if I were not armed.

Edited by Hidalgo
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too. It's immature, I know, but I will flip out much easier when I am unarmed. Not only does my perspective change, but the off chance that someone may accuse me of brandishing helps keep me in check.

Kinda the opposite of what the anti's think, ain't it?

• Admin Team

As the old saying goes - "An armed society is a polite society".

I read a piece not too long ago whose author's premise was that armed citizens are better citizens for exactly that reason. You have to think about your words and your actions when carrying a lethal weapon on your person.

Armed ar not, if you are an HCP holder, you should always mind your P's and Q's. I am sure any kind of libral judge would love to have an excuse to snatch it away from you.

Congrats on keeping your cool. I have found that I am much more tolerant as well after getting my permit.

I was at a restaurant waiting on my "to go" order watching a ball game on the tv at the bar while waiting, and yes I was armed. The "gentleman" (couldn't have been more than 25 years old and drunk) next to me asked who I was rooting for. I said nobody, because I'm a Tennessee fan (I don't remember who was actually playing, it was a Thursday night). Well he started going on and on about how badly UT sucked and how he was a Florida fan because of their "long history". I just reminded him that obviously he was very young and didn't realize that the Florida "history" only went back as far as Steve Spurrier.

Well this kid went ballistic and started saying he was going to "$%*#" me up cause now he was in the mood to fight. I just told him "I'm a grown man and I'm not going to fight you. All I'm going to do is get my order when it's ready and walk out the door to go home to my wife." Well, of course he started yelling how I better leave and good for me that I'm chicken S#$%. So I got my order and walked out just as I said I would, but be very aware of what was going on behind me.

Had I not been packing, I may or may not have fought the kid or engaged in a arguement. I'll never know. But, with a weapon on board, I knew that if all else failed, I had the upper hand and had no intention of aggitating the situation further in way that would force me to use it in a way that would end up making me lose my rights in any way.

I think in our minds we take carrying very seriously and don't want to escalate a minor situation into a more serious situation, where the idea of bringing our gun into the situation becomes possible.

I have found that I am less likely to retaliate verbally or physically especially on the road. Where I might have flipped the bird at some one I just let them go now. I still get just as mad sometimes but I control myself better.

Edited by K191145

What really bothered me about my experience was that fact that I'm not sure if the place I was at was a bar that served food or an restaurant that had a bar. Or it could have been a television that just had a restaurant and bar built around it.

I'm telling you guys, televisions and guns don't mix!!!!

Guest Muttling

I'm always pretty patient and have learned that jerks get their just rewards given enough rope to hang themselves. Especially in traffic.

The best one was a couple of years ago. I was driving snow covered highway in West Virginia and was in the only cleared lane. Some jerk behind me was riding my tail and honked his horn a few times.

We came to a spot where the second lane had been briefly cleared and he jumped around to pass. He turned to flip me off as he passed and never saw the ice patch. Went straight into the ditch while still giving a 1 finger salute.

I just honked, smiled, and waved as I drove past his wreck.

I'm always pretty patient and have learned that jerks get their just rewards given enough rope to hang themselves. Especially in traffic.

The best one was a couple of years ago. I was driving snow covered highway in West Virginia and was in the only cleared lane. Some jerk behind me was riding my tail and honked his horn a few times.

We came to a spot where the second lane had been briefly cleared and he jumped around to pass. He turned to flip me off as he passed and never saw the ice patch. Went straight into the ditch while still giving a 1 finger salute.

I just honked, smiled, and waved as I drove past his wreck.

KARMA strikes again.

More patient indeed. Got sideways with someone yesterday, he pi$$3ed me off with his remarks, I just got pi$$ed right back, we exchanged words and off I went. NEVER, NEVER even thought about the firearm in my pocket. You can still get angry and go off on someone you just have to keep in mind thats as far as it can go.......state your case and walk away.

I think in our minds we take carrying very seriously and don't want to escalate a minor situation into a more serious situation, where the idea of bringing our gun into the situation becomes possible.

I have found that I am less likely to retaliate verbally or physically especially on the road. Where I might have flipped the bird at some one I just let them go now. I still get just as mad sometimes but I control myself better.

+10000000.....you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!

elvis-shot-up-tv-792381.jpg

Elvis-Gun.jpg

This has to be the TV Elvis shot upon seeing a "soulless" Robert Goulet belting one out in primetime. EAPKING!!!!

- Seriously though, I feel so much more laid back while carrying, especially after a range session. I'm much more apt to vent when not carrying.