Whats your take on 10mm

DavidH1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros = Being able to tell everyone you are a man now that you got a 10mm, Chicks dig it, nuff said. :eek:

Cons = Ammo is expensive and can be tricky to find, mags can be hard to find and expensive, recoil is a bit excessive for some.

Who makes a good one? Glock, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, Nighthawk, Colt, EAA.

I own a CBOB Dan Wesson in 10mm. It is my favorite. I have had no problems finding ammo. My local range sell it for 18.00 box of 50 for practice ammo. The stuff Ga Arms sells is new. I can get Speer Bonded JHP or Double Tap ammo between 25-39.00 a box of 50. Most SD ammo is sold 20-25 rounds a box. I feel this is pretty cheap.

Edited by R1100R

The FBI used 10 mm for a short time, they did not work out for them because of excessive recoil, and durability issues. The thing to think about is if you ever want to get rid of the gun, it will be harder, mags, and ammo is harder to find. You may be better served with a good 45, you can find a lot of accessories for them around. Plus you can load a 45 up to pretty close to the same ballistics. As to the macho factor, most of the people not involved a lot in shooting wont even know what a 10mm is! Trust me when I tell you I have been shooting for 40 years, and I have many many more rounds through my 45's than I do through that "sexy" 44 magnum I have!!:eek:

The FBI used 10 mm for a short time, they did not work out for them because of excessive recoil, and durability issues. The thing to think about is if you ever want to get rid of the gun, it will be harder, mags, and ammo is harder to find. You may be better served with a good 45, you can find a lot of accessories for them around. Plus you can load a 45 up to pretty close to the same ballistics. As to the macho factor, most of the people not involved a lot in shooting wont even know what a 10mm is! Trust me when I tell you I have been shooting for 40 years, and I have many many more rounds through my 45's than I do through that "sexy" 44 magnum I have!!:eek:

I agree with Pig. A .40 or .45 with good ammo is just as good a choice. I don't like having to search for ammo, so my opinion is slanted that way. But if you just must have it, don't let any of us talk you out of it either.

10 mm rocks...

But I guess it depends on your need. If your carrying it for CCW then it can be overkill. If your wanting it for home defense, truck gun, camping or hunting theres not much better. I have deer/boar hunted with a 10mm for many years and it cant be beat in a semi auto platform. I personally have 2 Glock 20's with the factory 6in Glock hunting barrel and one S&W 1006. I love them all, but for everyday carry its usually a 380 and my 2nd gun 357/40/45... depending on the day.

The reason the FBI got away from the 10mm was their female agents and the girly men of the bureau couldnt handle the recoil, it wasnt durability of the gun.

Current Winchester SuperX loading is 175gr at 1290fps. Corbon loads 165gr JHP at 1400fps for 588ft/lbs.

For comparison, Corbon .40S&W 165gr is 1150fps for 485 ft/lbs, and .45acp +P 165gr at 1225fps, 550ft/lbs.

The 10mm will shoot flatter and still deliver excellent energy out to 100 yards. As far as cost goes, it's an easy cartridge to reload. The .40 bullets are easy to find and relatively inexpensive, and powder, primers, and cases are not any more expensive than comparable calibers.

I've got an EAA Witness Compact with caliber conversions to .38Super, .45acp, and .22lr. I'm trying to find a .400 Corbon barrel to make it a 5-caliber pistol!

You might consider .400 Corbon if you reload. It's ballistics are similar to .45+P but shoots flatter and doesn't require a '+P' rated frame. All you need is a barrel and maybe a recoil spring to use your favorite .45acp pistol. It's also expensive to buy that ammo, but it's really easy to make your own cases from .45acp.

10 mm rocks...

But I guess it depends on your need. If your carrying it for CCW then it can be overkill. If your wanting it for home defense, truck gun, camping or hunting theres not much better. I have deer/boar hunted with a 10mm for many years and it cant be beat in a semi auto platform. I personally have 2 Glock 20's with the factory 6in Glock hunting barrel and one S&W 1006. I love them all, but for everyday carry its usually a 380 and my 2nd gun 357/40/45... depending on the day.

The reason the FBI got away from the 10mm was their female agents and the girly men of the bureau couldnt handle the recoil, it wasnt durability of the gun.

:rant: Very True!

When the 10MM ammo came out it was a 200 grain bullet at 1200 FPS velocity, but now, the factory ammo is only 1050 FPS for the 200 grain, just barely faster than a 200 grain 45 ACP + P

Exactly...for this reason it really doesn't do anything special except let you say that you shoot a 10mm. - doesn't have much of a place anymore. There are equal, if not marginally less hot, loads in .45 and .40 does just as good according to everything ever researched along these lines. There is another camp who says "but I can hunt deer/pigs with it." in which case as a hunting rounds it doesn't hold a light to .44 mag, .45 colt, etc.

In short...unless you reload it like the original FBI load you won't get the full potential out of this gun. Even then - other than the novelty of the round itself (which is good - don't get me wrong) gets lost among the crowd.

The FBI problems with recoil was not due to "girlie men" but - recoil and large size grip. If I lined up 100 TGO members to shoot a full house 10mm quickly at a 25 yard target....there would be as many poor performers (maybe more) that the FBI stats.

Edited by I_Like_Pie

When the FBI tested this round it was well over 25+ years ago. If I am not mistaking in only two platforms. It had issues with the recoil and performance from those platforms. Pistol design has changed since then.

Most .45 Factory ammo is only around 800 FPS ,some not even breaking that.

A 10mm is not for everyone. I own several .45's But my 10MM is my favorite. check some of ammo listed below. I reload. But even the range ammo I buying at 18.00 a box is pushing 180 gr 1300FPS/694Ft Lbs.

DoubleTap Ammunition

135Gr Nosler @ 1600fps / 767 ft.lbs. - Glock 20

Edited by R1100R

The reason I was looking at the 10mm was mostly just to have it in my collection. Recoil doesn't bother me, I would shoot a howitzer if it had a grip on it. I have 40s and 45s and like both, I thought it might be fun to shoot. Thanks for all the great info.

Thnx for starting this thread and those who responded: I'd been also thinking of a 10mm for hiking, seeing as I sometimes go really deep backwoods and alone. Wanted it for upright, sentient bipeds, but also for larger mammals that might consider me a snack. Now y'all are making me rethink that a 45 might be enough, plus I'm a better shot at that than the 10--could always practice, though. Anyhoo, thanks for getting this topic going!:)

I love my g20. Wanted a handgun to carry while hunting, have a safe full of 9's and, 40's and 45's but none pack the punch of a Double Tap 10mm. And as long as you have the internet you can find full power loads that will smoke ANY 40s&w. Double Tap ammo is the way to go for a 10mm or handloads of coarse.

I own a CBOB Dan Wesson in 10mm. It is my favorite. I have had no problems finding ammo. My local range sell it for 18.00 box of 50 for practice ammo. The stuff Ga Arms sells is new. I can get Speer Bonded JHP or Double Tap ammo between 25-39.00 a box of 50. Most SD ammo is sold 20-25 rounds a box. I feel this is pretty cheap.

I'd give a +1 to the DW CBOB in 10mm, but around Memphis, I don't see any 10mm ammo. Had a chance to get one myself, but blew it off, just for the lack of 10mm ammo around here.

I love my g20. Wanted a handgun to carry while hunting, have a safe full of 9's and, 40's and 45's but none pack the punch of a Double Tap 10mm. And as long as you have the internet you can find full power loads that will smoke ANY 40s&w. Double Tap ammo is the way to go for a 10mm or handloads of coarse.

Yes indeed, I love double tap ammo, those guys know how to load the 10mm :)

I was thinking about getting one. Pros, Cons. And who makes a good one.

Well since I am not a 'girlie man FBI agent' I would love for us to get one with 2 conditions. 1. We make sure we can find ammo and it is affordable, and 2. We don't get a Glock!;) hahahaha!:stir: ...... :P

The reason I was looking at the 10mm was mostly just to have it in my collection. Recoil doesn't bother me, I would shoot a howitzer if it had a grip on it. I have 40s and 45s and like both, I thought it might be fun to shoot. Thanks for all the great info.

I love the 100MM and have ever since it came out (by the way there is a great article on the 10MM in N0. 74 Custom Combat Handguns you might want to pick up).

I had a Colt Double Eagle 10MM and even withe a couple of shortcomings, I loved the gun and have always regretted selling it. While I only own 45ACP pistols right now I expect that my next handgun purchase is going to be a 10MM; likely either a Cold Delta Elite or a Kimber for me...if I was going to carry one for hunting, for example, I'd probably go with a Glock but otherwise Glock would not be on the top of my list.

I hear what people are saying about the ammo yet I know plenty of people who have 10MMs and they seem to find ammo whenever they want it so I'm not so sure it's really that much of a problem.

I hope that helps some.

Oh and if you buy a good one and decide you don't like it just look me up! :)

Edited by RobertNashville

I am a big fan of the autoloading hand cannon myself.

One good option for going 10mm is to get a Glock 21 (or 21SF) then a 10mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf or KKM for about $120. You get the best of two great calibers.

You could also get a G20 then a conversion to .40 if you already have one in that caliber.

Be sure to buy some Double Tap 165g JHP - expands to 1.02". Crazy. Or the 135g if you live in the city and don't want "over penetration".

From DT's Site:

165g JHP:

Ballistics : 165gr. @ 1400fps/ 718ft/lbs- Glock 20

Glock 29 - 1345fps

135g JHP:

Ballistics : 135g @ 1600fps / 767 ft.lbs. - Glock 20

Places to get reasonably priced ammo shipped:

Georgia Arms

Double Tap

Zero Ammunition

Exactly...for this reason it really doesn't do anything special except let you say that you shoot a 10mm. - doesn't have much of a place anymore. There are equal, if not marginally less hot, loads in .45 and .40 does just as good according to everything ever researched along these lines. There is another camp who says "but I can hunt deer/pigs with it." in which case as a hunting rounds it doesn't hold a light to .44 mag, .45 colt, etc.

In short...unless you reload it like the original FBI load you won't get the full potential out of this gun. Even then - other than the novelty of the round itself (which is good - don't get me wrong) gets lost among the crowd.

The FBI problems with recoil was not due to "girlie men" but - recoil and large size grip. If I lined up 100 TGO members to shoot a full house 10mm quickly at a 25 yard target....there would be as many poor performers (maybe more) that the FBI stats.

1st and formost I'll take Col. Jeff Coopers opinion over any F.B.I. guys any day. Im not buying the grip size thing, the guns were talking about back in the day, and even now were really no larger in grip size then the 45's today and the high cap 9mm's and 45 single stacks back then. Now there was recoil issues with the agents, and the FBI report clearly concluded that its recoil was excessive in terms of training for average agent/police officer competency of use and qualification. So in short, it was the "girly men" and female agents were the ones having problems withem. I find its kinda funny how the FBI and others cried about the recoil and "grip size" of the 10mm's but the standard duty gun back then was the 357 magnum Smith's and Colt's with about he same recoil and grip size. So basically the same people that cant handle the 10mm cant hang with a 357, 41, 44, or 45lc either.

Now talking about ballistics and stopping power, even with the 10mm medium loads(Winchester, Remington, Federal) exceeds 357 and 41 magnum. The original FBI load was weak compaired to whats on the market today. Get the 6in Glock hunting barrel and your getting really close to 44 magnum, around 100-200 fps, and in some cases equals it with hot loads.

All in all its to each their own I guess. I likem, hell I love'em and can handle them just fine. If ya cant, then I guess you will wish ya had one when Gentle Bens eatin ya!!! ;)